Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Mike Carp?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike Carp?

Saw a note on mlbtraderumors.com that apparently the Twins have interest in Mike Carp. Why?

He's a left-handed bat who can play 1b and OF. I'm pretty sure we've got that covered, between Morneau, Parmelee, Doumit, and Mauer.

I could MAYBE see a role for him on the bench if he was a right handed batter, or he could also play 3B. But not quite sure what purpose he could serve as is, unless they want Parmelee to spend more time at Rochester.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Carp could be a good pickup. He's young, has a good pedigree and big-time power. Give him a shot, especially since the odds are long that Morneau will be a Twin in a year.

He'd be a prudent pick-up to hedge against Parmelee not panning out (considering Morneau is likely gone). He's not good enough to be more than a 1 or 2 year place-holder though...poor BA & OBP and maybe 20 HR power. He's more of a AAAA guy.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Agreeing on Carp as plan B to Parm, but i wonder why Tony Campana wasnt picked up in case the kids are not ready?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Agreeing on Carp as plan B to Parm, but i wonder why Tony Campana wasnt picked up in case the kids are not ready?
    Because either the twins dont care or arent trying anymore. Duh

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Campana is not much of a hitter. Perhaps they believe that they can put Benson or Hicks there and just deal with it.
    Of course, they would lose a year of control.
    I certainly don't understand what they're doing.

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    You're also assuming that they didn't even try to pick him up. The Diamondbacks gave up more than I would have expected for a guy like that.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they claimed him wouldn't he have to go straight to the 25 man roster? Who would you kick off so they could keep a guy who essentially has the same skills as Parmelee, but wasn't good enough to stay on the Mariner's roster?

I concur in that I'm not sure what Carp brings to the organization. Even if Morneau is gone soon and Parmelee doesn't live up to expectations, the Twins organization has lots of 1B/RF types..... I don't see why they would want to clear a space on the roster for Carp.

Mike-Fish-Names are all the rage right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Carp was traded to Boston

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Carp was traded to Boston
    Thats too bad... He would have been a great addition to the team... He could have rotated in... DH, 1B, OF and this would have provided a bench bat with some pop.

Too bad... The price was cheap.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they claimed him wouldn't he have to go straight to the 25 man roster? Who would you kick off so they could keep a guy who essentially has the same skills as Parmelee, but wasn't good enough to stay on the Mariner's roster?
    Drew butrea, also i believe he only has to be on the 40 man roster

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You're also assuming that they didn't even try to pick him up. The Diamondbacks gave up more than I would have expected for a guy like that.
    dont we have first rights on claiming DFA players because of our lossing season?if we claim him and cant make a deal , or if we dont offer enough , then they have to pull him back or start the prosess over or he goes to the next worse team who filed a claim?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We get first rights among american league teams. When the cubs put him on waivers, I believe all the national league teams get a shot before we do.

Also, the teams can DFA him, and then setup a trade before he actually gets sent through the waiver wire (which I believe is what happened with Carp and Campana)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    We get first rights among american league teams. When the cubs put him on waivers, I believe all the national league teams get a shot before we do.

Also, the teams can DFA him, and then setup a trade before he actually gets sent through the waiver wire (which I believe is what happened with Carp and Campana)
    Second after Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Second after Houston.
    houston is in the national league

Quote Originally Posted by PatMearesFan View Post
    houston is in the national league
    You must be new to the 2013 season.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Darn, the potential for so many word filters on this sit would have been immense with that last name of his.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.