Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Twins Sign RHP Kyle Davies

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Sign RHP Kyle Davies

According to Jerry Crasnick (via Twitter), the Twins have signed veteran RHP Kyle Davies to a minor league contract. The deal does not come with an invitation to big league camp.

The 29-year-old pitched for the Braes from 2005 to 2007 when he was traded to the Royals at the July trade deadline for Octavio Dotel. He was with the Royals into the 2011 season, but after going 1-9 with a 6.75 ERA, and attempts to turn things around in the minor leagues, he was released in August. He quickly signed with the Blue Jays organization where he pitched in AAA. However, he did not pitch at all in 2012 due to some shoulder issues.

Overall, in seven big league seasons, he is 43-65 with a 5.59 ERA. This is clearly just a move for minor league depth and to give a guy an opportunity to get back into the game. It will be interesting to see where he is at health-wise, and if he is able to make the New Britain or Rochester rosters this spring.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I hope Terry signed Hawkeye and Trapper john also with every walking wounded pitcher coming to the Minnesota rehab center,we are going to need some meatball surgery, for our meatball pitchers

(rehab was stolen from another poster)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With all these injured pitchers being signed, it makes me wonder if the Twins medical staff is asking Ryan for practice patients.

Dr. Spaceman is on the job!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Twins sign Kyle Davies

The Twins have reportedly signed pitcher Kyle Davies to a minor league contract. The signing apparently does not include an invitation to major league spring training. Davies started 13 games for the Royals in 2011 and posted a dismal 6.75 ERA.... He last pitched in AAA for the Blue Jays and didn't pitch last year. He's pretty much a minor league filler....
    Last edited by gmarais66; 02-20-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why?
    He has never had an ERA under 4.00 nor a WHIP under 1.4 in 7 MLB seasons. (career ERA 5.59)
    Have the Twins decided to become 'Rehab Central' just out of charity?
    Or maybe they feel they don't have enough pitchers in camp.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can never have enough pitching. Maybe one or two of the low risk chances payoff. If none nothing ventured nothing gained.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Why?
    He has never had an ERA under 4.00 nor a WHIP under 1.4 in 7 MLB seasons. (career ERA 5.59)
    Have the Twins decided to become 'Rehab Central' just out of charity?
    Or maybe they feel they don't have enough pitchers in camp.
    It's a minor league signing with no invite to big league camp. They do need to fill out their rotation at AA and AAA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    At least now they care and are trying.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No risk. Maybe he finds some of the stuff he had in the minors when he had K rates over 9. Worst case, he'll eat innings in the high minors while guys like Solliman and Salcedo prove they are ready for promotion.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Are they short of pitchers in AAA? These signings just look desperate to me.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This is what teams do in February. They invite a bunch of people to play, see where they need the help in the minors, and plug them into the needed positions.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like I wrote, there's no guarantee that he'll make the New Britain roster, much less the Rochester roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't know - I have him penciled in as the starter in Game 7 of the Series this year.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I don't know - I have him penciled in as the starter in Game 7 of the Series this year.
    Nah, he'll throw a complete game to finish the 4-game sweep. Think big, brother.