Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 120

Thread: Beat the Rush: Fire Gardy and Terry Ryan Now!

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Seth, my brother, the farm system dropped off because of Ryan.....smith acquired some talent as GM. He made two awful trades, but the lack of young players on this team the last few years is all on Ryan. I am grateful that Smith was GM when sano was available, and not Ryan.

    Ryan has gutted the payroll, such that adjusted for baseball inflation, it is no higher now than the dome days. He clearly will not sign players, even after promises to ticket holders and tax payers. He willfully ignores numbers, see Correia, for scouting. How many 90 loss seasons and lining the owners pockets should the taxpayers and fans put up with?

    I love the strawman of 200 million in another post. If Ryan had spent to 100 million this year, the team would likely be much, much better.

    How many years of not using money on payroll, and being awful, should be tolerated before asking for new leadership?
    So Terry Ryan sets the Payroll? Ryan might not have Baseball Reasons for not wanting long-term Free Agent Contracts on a 65 Win Team? Whether Kevin Correria was a good signing or not I can't say. I'm also not going to scream the Sky is Falling about his contract.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    782
    Like
    38
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Seth, my brother, the farm system dropped off because of Ryan.....smith acquired some talent as GM. He made two awful trades, but the lack of young players on this team the last few years is all on Ryan. I am grateful that Smith was GM when sano was available, and not Ryan.

    Ryan has gutted the payroll, such that adjusted for baseball inflation, it is no higher now than the dome days. He clearly will not sign players, even after promises to ticket holders and tax payers. He willfully ignores numbers, see Correia, for scouting. How many 90 loss seasons and lining the owners pockets should the taxpayers and fans put up with?

    I love the strawman of 200 million in another post. If Ryan had spent to 100 million this year, the team would likely be much, much better.

    How many years of not using money on payroll, and being awful, should be tolerated before asking for new leadership?
    Two horrible trades you are right. Didn't he also sign some guy from Japan? How did that work out? I don't get the Smith love. Lets give him credit when Sano gets to the majors and is a star. I do hope he is a star, but it is a little too early to give a guy credit for signing a kid who has not even landed in AA yet and strikes out over a quarter of the time.

    I understand some wanting a change in management. After two bad seasons most teams would have fired the whole front office. The fact that we didn't makes me proud to be a Twins fan.

    P.S. Everyone is calling for TR and Gardy's head, but also hate the ownership. So if those guys get fired, who leads the charge and hires new personel? Who is to say that ownership won't mess it up even worse and we are stuck in a pattern of firing guys every two years until we get lucky enough to get a good GM...when TR is as well respected a GM in the league as any. Gardy would be a free agent for like 15 minutes before a team would throw a big salary deal at him...My brother
    Last edited by Twins Twerp; 02-21-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: my brother

  3. #43
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I don't love Smith, he was bad at his job imo, my point is, the lack of young players on the roster the last three years is on Ryan, because it takes 4-6 years to get to the majors. Blaming the lack of AAA talent and young MLB talent the last few years on Smith is bogus. That is all on Ryan's tenure....not on Smith's tenure. Yet people keep typing "they minors fell off under Smith" and such stuff. Saying AA and AAA were bad under Smith is an indictment of Ryan, not Smith.
    Lighten up Francis....

  4. #44
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,669
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Seth, my brother, the farm system dropped off because of Ryan.....smith acquired some talent as GM. He made two awful trades, but the lack of young players on this team the last few years is all on Ryan. I am grateful that Smith was GM when sano was available, and not Ryan.

    Ryan has gutted the payroll, such that adjusted for baseball inflation, it is no higher now than the dome days. He clearly will not sign players, even after promises to ticket holders and tax payers. He willfully ignores numbers, see Correia, for scouting. How many 90 loss seasons and lining the owners pockets should the taxpayers and fans put up with?

    I love the strawman of 200 million in another post. If Ryan had spent to 100 million this year, the team would likely be much, much better.

    How many years of not using money on payroll, and being awful, should be tolerated before asking for new leadership?
    complaining of strawman arguments while offering one, cute.

  5. #45
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rk83071 View Post
    While he was out I do recall there were a couple of major transactions that went down that could have really helped this organization if they were handled the right way (santana deal, and letting Torii walk without trying to move him).
    Both of those were on Ryan. Torii became a free agent the same offseason Ryan left...so if he was going to be moved, it would be on Ryan. Ryan didn't offer Hunter a deal until August of 2007 and Hunter became a FA at the end of the 2007 season.

    Ryan could have signed Santana earlier or traded him while he was still GM. The Luis Castillo trade that Ryan did put the nail in the coffin as far as resigning Hunter or Santana. Santana pretty much said he wasn't going to pitch anymore for us. Yes, Smith could and should have gotten more for Santana, but everyone knew the Twins weren't going to be able to keep him past 2008 anyway, so it's not like we had too much bargaining power to begin with...and that's on Ryan
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-21-2013 at 09:24 AM.

  6. #46
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    What was my strawman? Because if I made one, sorry.

    Ryan has gutted the payroll, yes, no?
    The young talent on the roster takes 4-6 years to make the majors, so that is on Ryan, not Smith.
    The team would likely be better if they spent $20MM more on pitching.
    Correia was signed due to scouting, not numbers.
    Lighten up Francis....

  7. #47
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,088
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I don't disagree with the premise that Ryan and Gardenhire should be fired. If the Twins were going to do that before the 2013 season they would have done it immediately after the season was over.

    The dip in talent in the Twins system isn't entirely Bill Smith's fault. Even if you believe TR had basically no meaningful voice in Smith's cabinet, some of the bad drafts and busts in the minor leagues was on TR's watch before Smith even started.

    As for Gardenhire, I think that it makes sense to bring in a new manager with all the new players the Twins will have coming up in the next two years. Gardenhire himself came in just when the Twins had an influx of talent.

  8. #48
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Both of those were on Ryan. Torii became a free agent the same offseason Ryan left...so if he was going to be moved, it would be on Ryan. Ryan didn't offer Hunter a deal until August of 2007 and Hunter became a FA at the end of the 2007 season.

    Ryan could have signed Santana earlier or traded him while he was still GM. The Luis Castillo trade that Ryan did put the nail in the coffin as far as resigning Hunter or Santana. Santana pretty much said he wasn't going to pitch anymore for us. Ryan could and should have gotten more for Santana, but everyone knew the Twins weren't going to be able to keep him past 2008 anyway, so it's not like we had too much bargaining power to begin with.

    Agreed 100%. These situations were created by Ryan's refusal to either sign or trade them, and their belief that he would always play for the future that never came. Their words about why they wanted to leave....
    Lighten up Francis....

  9. #49
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Ryan could have signed Santana earlier or traded him while he was still GM. The Luis Castillo trade that Ryan did put the nail in the coffin as far as resigning Hunter or Santana. Santana pretty much said he wasn't going to pitch anymore for us. Yes, Smith could and should have gotten more for Santana, but everyone knew the Twins weren't going to be able to keep him past 2008 anyway, so it's not like we had too much bargaining power to begin with...and that's on Ryan
    Of course the Twins only had him until 2008 because Ryan might be the only GM that wouldn't love to lock up a 26-year-old left handed Cy Young award winner for more than 4 additional years at a reasonable price.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Of course the Twins only had him until 2008 because Ryan might be the only GM that wouldn't love to lock up a 26-year-old left handed Cy Young award winner for more than 4 additional years at a reasonable price.
    Do you suppose "reasonable price" is often stated about Santana's salary in Mets' team meetings?

  11. #51
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Agreed 100%. These situations were created by Ryan's refusal to either sign or trade them, and their belief that he would always play for the future that never came. Their words about why they wanted to leave....
    Ryan's actually starting to resemble Charlie Brown. Appearnces aside, Lucy would call them both wishy-washy. Ryan was just too indecisive about these matters, it often seemed he waited for a situation to present itself because he didn't want to be agressive and make a mistake. Usually he waited too long and the window closed.

  12. #52
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    As for the payroll, the owner and GM have said repeatedly that Ryan can spend what he wants to spend. I can only take them at their word on that.
    Lighten up Francis....

  13. #53
    Banned Triple-A
    Posts
    253
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gardenhire shouldn't be fired because of the last 2 seasons. He should be fired because of his record against the Yankee's.

  14. #54
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Do you suppose "reasonable price" is often stated about Santana's salary in Mets' team meetings?
    What does his contract with the Mets have to do with it? His previous contract wasn't anything close to the price he required after the 2004 season when he was still working on his first arbitration year and had yet to win his 2nd Cy Young. Ryan bought out three arbitration years and got only one free agency year, he should have extended him six years as I'm sure most other GM's would have.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    874
    Like
    474
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Seth, my brother, the farm system dropped off because of Ryan.....smith acquired some talent as GM. He made two awful trades, but the lack of young players on this team the last few years is all on Ryan. I am grateful that Smith was GM when sano was available, and not Ryan.

    Ryan has gutted the payroll, such that adjusted for baseball inflation, it is no higher now than the dome days. He clearly will not sign players, even after promises to ticket holders and tax payers. He willfully ignores numbers, see Correia, for scouting. How many 90 loss seasons and lining the owners pockets should the taxpayers and fans put up with?

    I love the strawman of 200 million in another post. If Ryan had spent to 100 million this year, the team would likely be much, much better.

    How many years of not using money on payroll, and being awful, should be tolerated before asking for new leadership?
    With all due respect, mike wants wins, my brother, I just gotta aske you: given that the Twins drafted in the BOTTOM THIRD of the draft order for a decade; given that the top TEN prospects are the ones that have an astronomically higher chance of becoming really good players (this is empirically supported by many); given that the Twins have NOT had a top ten choice, until last year, since Mauer; given that both times they did, they hit a grand slam in the opinion of almost everyone with Buxton and Mauer; given that the Twins farm system, despite bottom third draft order, has for the most part maintained at least middle of the road calibre according to the rankers all through the lean times; given that the Twins have FIVE DOZENpeole in the scouting and development department, and that Ryan has been very influencial throughout his long tenure with the Twins through lean times and the current fabulous period for the farm system; given that the pre-Target Field budget probably hampered these five dozen pros; given that, like every single other organization, the Twins must live with a few bad decisions (BJ Garbe) and some bad luck (Alex Wimmers?); given the fact that you have absolutely zero grounds for your opinion that Smith should get individualcredit for Sano, andthat Ryan and others deserve NONE; given the fact that, under Ryan this year, The Twins sined the #7 and #22 ranked interational prospects (Minie and Silva);

    So, mike, given ALL this, do you STILL want to discredit Ryan by blaming him for a drop-off of the farm system that has NEVER been even remotely as bad as you have characterized it over the last couple years? And exactly how much CREDIT are you graciously extending to Ryan now that the farm system is one of the very very very best?

    Do you understand why I think you're choosimg to be unbalanced and unfair in your criticism here? In reality doesn't supprt your opinion on this subject, my brother.

  16. #56
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    So, mike, given ALL this, do you STILL want to discredit Ryan by blaming him for a drop-off of the farm system that has NEVER been even remotely as bad as you have characterized it over the last couple years? And exactly how much CREDIT are you graciously extending to Ryan now that the farm system is one of the very very very best?
    I don't accuse Ryan of mistreating the farm to the extent that Mike does, in fact I'll split the credit of the current state of the farm 50/50 between Smith and Ryan, but in his first stint as GM, Ryan almost always shied away from upside arms in favor of safe college pitchers. That did hurt the farm and it's the reason this team has only had two pitchers with anything resembling top of the rotation material this century, and both of those guys were acquired in trades.

  17. #57
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,607
    Like
    3,679
    Liked 3,169 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blaming the Twins draft position (bottom third of the draft order since, like, forever!) is lazy, partially incorrect, and nothing but excuse making. Other teams find good players in the bottom of the first round, not to mention the rounds after that.

  18. #58
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Ryan deserves credit for the trades....but how much credit does he really deserve for buxton? Had he taken Zimmer or Gausmann, the system would rank the same. That part of the system improvement is on the team sucking at the MLB level. If you will not sign free agents, you need to be better than the other teams at drafting and developing players. You can find good MLB players in the 20s.....if you cannot, then you are not better than the other teams, you are the same or worse. So, if Ryan's strategy is to only build through the draft and trades, his choice, then they need to be better than they have been. Or, you can accept that team's have to be this bad, and live with it.....but if that is the strategy, why are Willingham and Morneau still on the roster?

    I do not buy the argument that teams cannot draft good players and develop them later in round 1. Not great, but good players.

  19. #59
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,654
    Like
    935
    Liked 1,293 Times in 695 Posts
    I'd like to know which upside arms Ryan passed up on in his first stint as GM that turned into top of the rotation starters. Anyone know?

  20. #60
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,654
    Like
    935
    Liked 1,293 Times in 695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Blaming the Twins draft position (bottom third of the draft order since, like, forever!) is lazy, partially incorrect, and nothing but excuse making. Other teams find good players in the bottom of the first round, not to mention the rounds after that.
    I'll agree mostly with that but there is a lot of luck involved, particularly past the first round.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.