Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Article: Big Year for the Manager

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    In 2006, we had the MVP, Cy Young, and batting champ, with a power hitting, run producing, gold glove CF and a power hitting run producing RF. Not to mention a top three closer leading the best bullpen in baseball.

People always praise Gardy for doing so much with so little during his time. So little compared to what powerhouse AL Central team, exactly? I ask because that's who we competed with for division titles.

Not only that, but the same people who praise Gardy for doing so much with so little now say things like What do you expect him to do, with so little. Wait a minute...

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 595 Times in 322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    In 2006, we had the MVP, Cy Young, and batting champ, with a power hitting, run producing, gold glove CF and a power hitting run producing RF. Not to mention a top three closer leading the best bullpen in baseball.

People always praise Gardy for doing so much with so little during his time. So little compared to what powerhouse AL Central team, exactly? I ask because that's who we competed with for division titles.

Not only that, but the same people who praise Gardy for doing so much with so little now say things like What do you expect him to do, with so little. Wait a minute...
    I don't think it falls on him either way, the players play the game, the manager fills out the lineup card, makes a few in game decisions and generally keeps the inmates from running the asylum. He gets too much credit and blame at the same time, another manager could have easily accomplished what Gardy did, no different than when TK was here, by the same token I don't think another manager could have polished the last 2 years of turds into anything more than what they were.

A new voice, the perception of what change could represent, good for the fans, I don't think it changes the play on the field all that much.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,246 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    His team has always quit in the post-season. Always.
    Others have already challenged this view, and I already said what I'm about to say in another thread, but... certain things that work for all players on the field during the regular season suddenly stop working when the post-season starts, and then the elite talent starts to assert itself. "Huh, he didn't swing at that pitch outside and in the dirt on 1-2. What do you wanna try next, sneak a fastball by him maybe?"

Nobody quits in the post-season. That just flies in the face of, well, everything.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345