Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miller: Gardy wants more pop off the bench....

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Miller: Gardy wants more pop off the bench....

...and isn't necessarily committing to a 3rd catcher.

He said something else interesting after workouts, too: He's tired of feeling like he has no options in the late innings. Light-hitting infielders and spare catchers aren't enough, and Gardenhire said he hasn't even decided yet whether a third catcher will be necessary. "I'm going to have a better bench this year," Gardenhire said. "I told Terry [Ryan, the general manager], I'd like to have more pop off the bench."
    First, I'll believe it when I see it. But it will be interesting to see of Ryan would consider signing a bench bat if Gardy has the guts to leave Butera waiting in Rochester.

I don't know if any of these guys look especially productive, but Carlos Lee, Derrek Lee and.....Jim Thome are all still unsigned.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/192323891.html

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like, if Gardy is going to take the fall for this team, he's going to do it on his terms. I like it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Gardy should 100% have say in how the bench is made up, and Ryan should be responsible for getting him that bench. Of course, the Vikings said they'd use Allen in a rotation more to keep him fresh this last season......so like John, I'm in a wait and see mode.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Did he mean speed instead of pop? :-)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Replace Butera with a 24 pack of Diet Rite.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    It sounds like, if Gardy is going to take the fall for this team, he's going to do it on his terms. I like it.
    +1, like it.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    First, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Second, I'll believe it when I see it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could maybe go back and try to find some evidence on my own, but can anyone remember what changed between the end of Spring Training '12 and whenever it was that Butera came up? They broke camp last year with only Mauer and Doumit as catchers. That makes me think it's possible they could do it again, but I would feel better if I could remember the reason (whether or not it's a good one) that they changed the situation, and especially if that reason had reverted to its state of last year at the end of spring.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    I could maybe go back and try to find some evidence on my own, but can anyone remember what changed between the end of Spring Training '12 and whenever it was that Butera came up? They broke camp last year with only Mauer and Doumit as catchers. That makes me think it's possible they could do it again, but I would feel better if I could remember the reason (whether or not it's a good one) that they changed the situation, and especially if that reason had reverted to its state of last year at the end of spring.
    I believe it's when Morneau was shelved for a couple weeks at the beginning of May that brought that along...

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is exactly what I personally wanted to hear.

I have high hopes for the offense this year... I think the starting lineup can score some runs... Knock some balls out of the park... I think the offense will do very nicely even with our SS's and 2B options.

However, Someone will have to be able to pinch hit for our lighter hitting options and we don't have that guy on our roster right now. It's our biggest offensive need in my opinion.

It's odd I know... But... having someone to pinch hit for our SS and 2B spots is a bigger issue than having a SS or 2B who needs to be pinch hit for.

They got to find someone... Thome... Derek or Carlos Lee... Vlad the Impaler... Jack Cust... Dallas MacPherson... Clement... Tie Domi... Someone with Power.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    II would be delighted with more pop off the bench.
    Wonder where that will come from...
    Arcia?

Blog Entries
    Vlad is an interesting name. Righthanded, pull hitter, still 38.

He would be a horrible example to the younger guys of plate discipline though.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    ...and isn't necessarily committing to a 3rd catcher.

First, I'll believe it when I see it. But it will be interesting to see of Ryan would consider signing a bench bat if Gardy has the guts to leave Butera waiting in Rochester.

I don't know if any of these guys look especially productive, but Carlos Lee, Derrek Lee and.....Jim Thome are all still unsigned.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/192323891.html
    Nice post John impressed ...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 295 Times in 158 Posts
    Maybe that's why they were saving Molitor.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Vlad is an interesting name. Righthanded, pull hitter, still 38.

He would be a horrible example to the younger guys of plate discipline though.
    Counter-examples are sometimes very effective! Kind of like satire. Or something. "Here's what we were telling you not to do. You see it now?"

Blog Entries
    Counter examples are only effective when the guy looks bad doing it though. A distant possibility, Vlad would be the best hitter on the team.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Counter-examples are sometimes very effective! Kind of like satire. Or something. "Here's what we were telling you not to do. You see it now?"
    lol... What happened to the "Like" button... I don't want to post anything... I just want to like this comment!

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Man I want to believe this so bad......just can't. Gardy has defeated my will to believe in rationality with this team's roster construction. Fingers crossed.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to believe this... wouldn't mind seeing Thome back here if he wanted to return...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Here goes. Twins wouldn't need "pop off the bench" if it was put in the lineup in the first place. Gardy probably has figured-out that every game situation late in the game Morneau will face a LHP and he needs a RHB who "has some pop". Had the Twins figured this out a few weeks ago, they could have signed said RHB "with some pop" for about $1MM plus some incentives--or shall I say re-signed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast