Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Sean Manaea

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Are Boras and Manaea hiding injury concerns? At this point, I think I'd feel a lot better about the guy knowing that an injury IS involved. If I thought for even a minute that his performance is being made with relative health, I'd be much more worried.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    For all the Manaea fans out there he had a solid outing last night.

7 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 100 pitches

He did pitch against Alcorn state, not exactly a power house, but it is still nice to see him throw 100 pitches. I haven't seen a report yet with the quality of his "stuff" yet which is a lot more important than his counting numbers.

Senior Member All-Star
    From reports I have read Manaeas fastball was back to normal, 90-93, this weekend while his slider was significantly better.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Do you think he was finally healthy?

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    For all the Manaea fans out there he had a solid outing last night.

7 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 100 pitches

He did pitch against Alcorn state, not exactly a power house, but it is still nice to see him throw 100 pitches. I haven't seen a report yet with the quality of his "stuff" yet which is a lot more important than his counting numbers.
    Great news, I hope he can have a great stretch here so the Twins grab him. Hopefully his little injury was causing him to be inconsistent and now hes better. He has all the tools to be an ace, its not often you get a lefty like him.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    From reports I have read Manaeas fastball was back to normal, 90-93, this weekend while his slider was significantly better.
    I think his FB was back to normal, as in up from the mid-eighties his previous start, but not back to sitting in the mid-nineties, which he was doing at the Cape.

I know he was fantastic this summer and has had good results this year, but with lesser stuff than he showed during the summer and against lesser competition than many of the other top prospects. How was his stuff at Indiana State before this year? Was he thought to be a top draft choice heading into the Cape or was his #1 stuff just around for the one summer?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaspatrick View Post
    I think his FB was back to normal, as in up from the mid-eighties his previous start, but not back to sitting in the mid-nineties, which he was doing at the Cape.
    Agreed. Surely he and Boras will spin it, but his draft stock soared due to the Cape showing, so the barometer needs to be set at that mark. It sounds like his slider is a great pitch when on, but if the velocity on his FB is 5-6 MPH lower than advertised, he's not going to be nearly as effective as expected four months ago. I'm not interested unless we get evidence in the next month that he's still capable of bringing the heat that was reported last summer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jaspatrick View Post

I know he was fantastic this summer and has had good results this year, but with lesser stuff than he showed during the summer and against lesser competition than many of the other top prospects. How was his stuff at Indiana State before this year? Was he thought to be a top draft choice heading into the Cape or was his #1 stuff just around for the one summer?
    Before the Cape Cod league he wasn't looked at as a big time prospect but when you are a lefty hitting 97 with a wipeout slider you become one real fast. Here lies the problem. For about 50-60 innings during the cape he showed ace potential but before and after he hasn't shown anything similar.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I say the Twins just take Stewart.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodin4Calder View Post
    I say the Twins just take Stewart.
    We get it

Senior Member All-Star
    From Laws chat today:

What's the biggest difference between Manaea last summer and now?Was the Cape a fluke, or is their an injury concern, or is it something else?
    Klaw (12:32 PM)

Not throwing as hard. Rolled his ankle in mid-March, has had some hip soreness since then, not clear if that's a major or minor factor since his stuff was down a tick before then. He pitches tonight and there will be a ton of heat in there.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last start 5 IP, 5H, 0ER, 2BB, 5K

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Last start 5 IP, 5H, 0ER, 2BB, 5K
    While the stat line isn't bad, only throwing 5 innings is.

Senior Member All-Star
    An article about Manaea from Mayo at mlb.com.

Sean Manaea's cool exterior masks inner fire as First-Year Player Draft nears | MLB.com: News

Mayo notes Manaea's stuff and pitch limit from his game this week.

Manaea gave up one unearned run on five hits, walking two and striking out five. He was on a 60-pitch limit because conference tournament play begins on Tuesday. The reports -- 89-93-mph fastball, inconsistent slider -- were similar to his Alcorn State start.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 05-19-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345