Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Sean Manaea

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1.) Let's keep the Buxton talk on a Buxton threads, not the Manaea thread.
    2.) I think it's very fair to say that he be called one of the great "prospects" in the organization. He's already a BA Top 10... How many Twins prospects have ranked that high. Mauer was #1 a couple of times. Morneau was top 10. Sano is obviously #9 this year. Puckett was never a top prospect. Knoblauch was a good prospect who moved up quickly, but he wouldn't have been a Top 10 prospect. No one is saying that Buxton WILL be a Hall of Famer. We don't even know if he will get to the big leagues for sure. But when it comes to the things that makes a "prospect," Byron Buxton represents them all.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post
    Here's four minutes of video of him pitching in the Cape Cod League.

I think I see the flaw in his mechanics. Starting at 2:56 in the video, notice where his throwing hand lines up with the vertical pole in the background. It's a subtle point, but when your hand travels backwards as your body travels forwards, the sudden change in direction puts a lot of stress on your shoulder. Manea's hand travels backwards against his body's motion only about six inches, but guess what - that's enough to put a sudden jerk into his shoulder joint every time he throws a pitch. Ideally, his throwing hand should either remain still or travel forward slightly along with his body.

A tennis coach taught me this technique when returning a high-speed serve. If you swing the racket back, you'll never be able to get it around in time to hit the ball straight ahead. Better is to move forward and pivot around the racket, never allowing the stick to move backwards. Turns out this same idea works great for throwing a baseball and swinging a bat, too. The infamous "hitch" in a batter's swing is the act of moving the bat backwards, creating momentum in the wrong direction, which results in a late swing. Conserving momentum is as old as Judo, but it works in a lot of different activities.

As for how to correct this problem, techniques vary. I favor holding a rattlesnake's head just behind the pitcher's hand. Obviously he won't move his hand backwards with a poisonous snake there. Others may favor a Taser or a sharp nail on a stick. One way or another, the young man's got to learn that it's important not to move that hand counter to his momentum.
    Last edited by jimbo92107; 02-23-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indiana State's game tonight was cancelled. Manaea should be on the bump tomorrow.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Has Manaea pitched lately?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Has Manaea pitched lately?
    Nope. Last weekend's games were rained out. He's scheduled to pitch this afternoon. His next appearance should occur next Friday night at the Metrodome.

EDIT: He'll pitch at 6pm against Mercer.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 03-09-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Manaea picked up his first win on the season on Saturday night. Stats included at the beginning of thread.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would love the Twins to draft him. He is more likely than not to be picked in the first three, but who knows?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I would love the Twins to draft him. He is more likely than not to be picked in the first three, but who knows?
    Obviously, it's a long way off but at this point, yeah, I think he and Appel will both be gone. I'm starting to hope that Twins go after Kris Bryant, the college third baseman. Apparently he's already hit 8 HRs. I don't know much more about him but that sounds nice.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I think there's a chance that Manaea is around at 4. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm still of the option the Astros will a sign a top 5-8 guy and spend their money on tougher signings later on, like last year. That would give the Twins a de facto #3 overall pick, and I can think of at least two guys that could easily be taken before Manaea.
    ...OR the same thing happens as last year and the Astro's pick the guy I like and I'm sitting there on Draft Day going "Well now who do I root for? I've got five minutes to pick a new favorite?".

Blog Entries
    Interesting read on Manaea. ESPN LINK

Manaea vs Windle going on right now at the Metrodome.

5ip 1 hit 6K for Manaea.

Blog Entries
    I will have video of Manaea's (and Windle's on his thread) first inning of the game posted later. Some quick observations about him...

His fastball was good, 91-94, hit 95 once, and, for seven innings, nearly unhittable. His slider was in the high-70s and also got a number of swings-and-misses. There was a pitch he threw, maybe in the 3rd, to a lefty - acted like a curveball - that was completely filthy. All-in-all, the amount of times a Gopher player swung through a Manaea pitch was probably in the 17-20 range. Obviously those are stats that get you drafted high.

There were a few parts of Manaea's game that need work. First, when there is a runner on base, he really slows down. Snails pace down. He doesn't have a good move to first, he isn't particularly quick to home and wants to pitch out of a windup. He threw the ball to first probably a dozen time and at least four times could have been called for a balk because he steps over the imaginary 45 degree line towards home. Even before all of that, whenever he's pitching with a runner on base, he takes a funny little knee-lift step before coming set. It's weird - not sure why he does it - and didn't look all that beneficial. Who knows...

His 9th inning was also very interesting. He gave up a sharp single to start the inning off. He struck out the next batter swinging on a 91 mph fastball at the eyes. He gave up another single and had runners on the corners with one out. The next batter went 2-0 before fouling a ball towards the 1B bullpen. The Indiana State fielder made a nice move getting the ball back before the runner could tag up. Up came the Minnesota DH batting .148. He missed the zone three times before working the count full. He then missed low - check-swing - and walked the bases full. The first pitch to the next batter was a couple feet short of home and went squirting towards the Indiana State dugout. The ball, runner and Manaea all got there at the same time. It looked like the runner got his hand under the tag to me. The guy I was with thought he was out. The interesting thing was Manaea tumbled toward the backstop and the ump didn't make the call until making sure he still had the ball. Had he called him safe, the runner from 2nd would have touched home before Manaea could have gotten back. In the celebration, Manaea rolled his ankle as well.

All told, Manaea looked like a top pick. I don't see what he could do to drop out of the Top 4. I got to the Dome at 5:30 to scout the scouts... hard to tell who was from where. There were at least 30 radar guns out. While there are areas to improve his game, there wasn't anything alarming, though he'll need to improve his pickoff move/speed with runners on.

It was a good game at the very least, well worth the $8 ticket.

Senior Member All-Star
    What's the level of competition? I know the Big 10 isn't the SEC.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Okay I know he's the Twins' King of the Scouts, but Deron Johnson is the only scout I've ever seen that has his own entourage. I lost count, how many Gophers did Manaea strike out?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chris Adnderson beat ECU 3-2 Friday night. ECU scored on a bunt play with runner on third and 2 outs. Only 5 Ks tonight. He was 2nd in country before game and now has 50 Ks in 38 2/3 innings with a 1.16 ERA. Still my sleeper - My apologies - Back to the tall lefty..................................How did Windle do following his No No? What was final score?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Chris Adnderson beat ECU 3-2 Friday night. ECU scored on a bunt play with runner on third and 2 outs. Only 5 Ks tonight. He was 2nd in country before game and now has 50 Ks in 38 2/3 innings with a 1.16 ERA. Still my sleeper -
    The guy literally has his own thread. Can't be bothered to post there?

Blog Entries
    Manaea's first inning from last night...

I give the radar reading after every pitch.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 305 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm kind of hoping the Twins end up with Manea in the first round and one of Anderson/Windle in teh second.... though I'm beginning to think Anderson won't make it to number 4 in round 2.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keith Law has submitted his thoughts from last nights game.

Insiders only as always with Klaw. He obviously likes Manaea but expressed disappointment in what he saw. Saying he wasn't as "electric" as he hoped. He also says that at THIS POINT, he is not a top 5 pick. This stood out to me...

he's still really interesting because of the velocity and command, but I couldn't take the guy I saw tonight in the top five picks, and certainly wouldn't take him ahead of Oklahoma right-hander Jonathan Gray today.

Blog Entries
    As he sat about a dozen seats away from me, sounds about right. I find it interesting that he talks about "early in the game" and "in the ninth inning", because he left after the 3rd and I didn't see him again until the 8th. Obviously, I'm not sure where he was (all of his stuff was still at his seat), but I thought Manaea was at his best in the middle innings - still hitting 94 and that was where he got most of his strikeouts. Law would have a better basis for comparison to Gray than I would, but hearing that he likes Gray more than Manaea is encouraging, because I'd be happy with Manaea.

Here's an interview with Manaea after the game. He sounds optimistic that his ankle will quickly heal, but his face said a different story.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast