Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Ryne Stanek

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Ryne Stanek

On a tier slightly lower than Manaea and Appel is Arkansas hurler Ryne Stanek. Stanek narrowly missed being a draft-eligible sophomore last year, where he would have been considered a Top 5 pick.

Perfect Game Draft Profile (subscription required)

Then there is Ryne Stanek, who given his track record, power arm, knockout slider, and projectable body could use this spring as a potential springboard to make a strong case [to be the top college arm in the draft class].

Game Log:
    2/15 vs Western Illinois - 4 IP, 2 H, ER, BB, 4 K. 66 pitches/36 strikes (Win, 1-0) (*Ranked 3 on initial draft board)
    2/22 vs Evansville - 3 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, HBP. 76 pitchers/47 strikes (ND, 1-0) (*Definitely wasn't an impressive outing, averaging 25+ pitches/inning)
    2/28 vs Arizona State - 5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, ER, 2 BB, 3 K, HBP. 85 pitches/57 strikes (L, 1-1) (*from scout, Stanek was "just ok")
    3/8 vs San Diego State - 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 5 K, WP, 91/51 (ND, 1-1) (*How Stanek does against the SEC will undoubtedly carry more significance, but he has failed to impress over his first four starts)
    3/17 vs Ole Miss - 4.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 71/44 (ND, 1-1) (*Another ho-hum stat-line, though the reports were that Stanek looked better than the week before. He was also dropped to the Sunday spot in their rotation)
    3/23 vs South Carolina - 9 IP, 3 H, 2 R, BB, 7 K, 124/78. (Win, 2-1)
    3/30 vs Mississippi St - 4 IP, 3 H, 3 R, ER, 2 BB, 6 K, WP, HBP, 92/56. (Loss, 2-2)
    4/5 vs Alabama - 8 IP, 4 H, 5 K, 97/58. (Win, 3-2)
    4/13 vs #2 LSU - 6.2 IP, 4 H, 3 BB, 5 K, 103/57. (Win, 4-2) (*Back on the prospect map)

*This post will be updated throughout the season. Please link game stories or other related Stanek-themed posts below.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 04-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Stanek came out firing, throwing in the low 90s before hitting 96-97 later with a good slider in the mid-80s.

At this point, Stanek should be a guy the Twins have even more solidly in their cross-hairs (due to Appel pulling away - though it's early). Stanek is fighting a little of this production vs perception identity-crisis that Appel was dealing with early last year. Stanek's ceiling isn't as high, but still appears to be a Top 5 guy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    A lot of people had Stanek ranked right there with Appel and Manaea, if not higher, but so far he is lagging behind. Small sample size of course but with the Twins drafting at 4 it would be nice if he closed the gap.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    A lot of people had Stanek ranked right there with Appel and Manaea, if not higher, but so far he is lagging behind. Small sample size of course but with the Twins drafting at 4 it would be nice if he closed the gap.
    I've been told that there are really two players to focus on in the draft as kind of the sure-fire guys, and they are Appel and Manaea... Will one of these guys fall to four? Probably not. So, who will jump into that next tier?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Whoa! 436 ' to CF? Holy cow! Just let them hit fly balls to CF.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Feb 22, Matt Garrioch, from MinorLeagueBall.com, listed Stanek #1. He has Appel 8th.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...raft-prospects
    Last edited by ThePuck; 03-05-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Yeah, Matt wasn't a big fan of Appel last year either. Sickels has Manaea at #1, Appel at #4, and Stanek at #5. Before the college baseball season started the three seemed so much closer. Stanek still has plenty of time to prove he belongs right there with Appel/Manaea but he needs to start showing it on the field.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Feb 22, Matt Garrioch, from MinorLeagueBall.com, listed Stanek #1. He has Appel 8th.

2013 MLB Draft: Matt Garrioch's Top 100 Draft Prospects - Minor League Ball
    For the record, Windle and Anderson are around 60...

Blog Entries
    Stanek had another rough outing. He will not make the Top 4 in Draft Board 2.0.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Jeremy, can you start keeping track of the Florida pitcher? I think he was supposed to be a top 10 guy and, at this point, I might like to see more of him than Stanek.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Jeremy, can you start keeping track of the Florida pitcher? I think he was supposed to be a top 10 guy and, at this point, I might like to see more of him than Stanek.
    Crawford? I'm keeping my eye on him, but right now, there isn't much good to report. Here are his four starts. There is also some belief that he may be a bullpen guy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Crawford? I'm keeping my eye on him, but right now, there isn't much good to report. Here are his four starts. There is also some belief that he may be a bullpen guy.
    That's too bad. Any other pitchers making moves into the top 10? Right now, if Appel's gone, I'm not sure there would be a good pitcher to take at #4. Obviously, there is a lot of season left.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Food for thought: Kyle Zimmer was listed as a late 20+ pick in the first round during most February 2012 Mock Drafts. He eventually went #5 overall by Royals. Somebody is going to make a late push for an early pick selection. I'm feeling Chris Anderson right now as my possible big leap selection. Plenty of season left however.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    That's too bad. Any other pitchers making moves into the top 10? Right now, if Appel's gone, I'm not sure there would be a good pitcher to take at #4. Obviously, there is a lot of season left.
    I've been watching Bobby Wahl, Mississippi, for a while. He hasn't missed the bats that I wanted him to, but he's a guy I think could enter the discussion.

Would the Twins pop a prep pitcher that high? I doubt it... but I don't think the Twins would rule it out. Trey Ball and Kohl Stewart are the two highest-rated prep pitchers (but both have questions - Ball is a two-way player, Stewart is a stud QB). I like Jordan Sheffield, a hard-thrower, but he's not without questions either (signability).

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I've been watching Bobby Wahl, Mississippi, for a while. He hasn't missed the bats that I wanted him to, but he's a guy I think could enter the discussion.

Would the Twins pop a prep pitcher that high? I doubt it... but I don't think the Twins would rule it out. Trey Ball and Kohl Stewart are the two highest-rated prep pitchers (but both have questions - Ball is a two-way player, Stewart is a stud QB). I like Jordan Sheffield, a hard-thrower, but he's not without questions either (signability).
    Thanks, I wonder if they might grab the college third baseman, if he has a strong year? Fits a need and college bat might be quick through the system.

Blog Entries
    Jonathan Gray, Oklahoma, is another name to remember.

Blog Entries
    Stanek looked better, though his stats didn't show it. Sunday's - yes, Sunday's - game log added.

Senior Member All-Star
    Not getting past the 4th inning except once. Yikes. People were comparing him to Gausman last year and had him in the same category as Appel and Manaea to start the year. Hopefully he figures it out because I really liked him before the season started

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, no way I'd spend number 4 on him unless things change soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast