Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Reports (5/9): Rains and the Miracle Win

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like there is some expendable AAA pitchers that could be moved around to make room from Meyer or May. Then Baxendale could move up.
    Not every player on the roster can be a prospect but hopefully these guys don't hold anyone back.

How does Jonathon Murphy & Joel Licon go from EST (after GCL ball) to High A ball but guys like Adam Walker/Byron Buxton cannot get a promotion when they clearly earn it.

Any word on Nate Roberts, or can we just write him off as another injury-riddled Brandon Roberts type??

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    How does Jonathon Murphy & Joel Licon go from EST (after GCL ball) to High A ball but guys like Adam Walker/Byron Buxton cannot get a promotion when they clearly earn it.

Any word on Nate Roberts, or can we just write him off as another injury-riddled Brandon Roberts type??
    Great point Ggb.

Twins SOP with promotions of convenience as 3 non-propsects get "promoted" for non-meritorious production, skipping A ball outright. Mejia appears to have the best minor league record of the 3- and is repeating A+ ball, but doesn't appear to have a position established and is quite small in stature.

In addition to Roberts, when and where do Max Kepler and Delbinson Romero go when they finally breakout from EST hell?

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think those guys are college guys from '12 draft. I think they were in EST and instead of sending them to Beliot or calling someone up for just a few days, they were brought across from the street.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Seems like there is some expendable AAA pitchers that could be moved around to make room from Meyer or May. Then Baxendale could move up.
    Not every player on the roster can be a prospect but hopefully these guys don't hold anyone back.
    They won't hold anyone back, but they allow the Twins to make decisions on the prospects wisely instead of pushing them too quickly. Don't forget, there are still something like 10-12 players (mostly pitchers) on the Rochester DL."

As soon as Meyer and May start throwing more strikes, they'll move up.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries

Again, it's about putting the actual prospects where it is best for them, but it's also something where they have to be fair to the affiliates. Cedar Rapids has a good chance for a playoff spot as a first-half champ. Buxton and Walker will move up when 1.) they're ready and have done it for 8-10 weeks instead of 4, and 2.) if they're in a playoff race, they'll keep them there an extra week. At the end of the day, Buxton and Walker will be in Ft. Myers. Will getting there a week or so really make a difference?

As for the guys getting an opportunity with the Miracle, it's not unusual, though I don't remember seeing this many moves across the parking lot. All three of them will play with Elizabethton (though Murphy could go to Cedar Rapids to take Walker or Buxton's spot when they do get promoted).

Also, Kyle Knudson will likely be off the DL in 2-3 days, and Eddie Rosario will be ready to play in a couple of days too. Doesn't make a lot of sense to have a player or two travel from Cedar Rapids to Ft. Myers only to turn around like a day or two later.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know the Twins make most of their decisions based on the comments section of Twins Daily so can we slow the Buxton to Fort Meyers talk down...I have a bunch of friends coming down Memorial Day from the Cities to catch some games and they want to see him. He will be in Fort Meyers soon enough, at least let him play in the MWL All Star Game and then move him. At least wait until Kepler can replace him or give them time in the outfield together. Then I can see Buxton, ABW2 and Kepler all in the same outfield. Last year it was Rosario, Sano and Vargas in the infield. Give an old minor league guy some love here and cool it before the pressure gets to TR and caves to the vast knowledge contained within these pages of TD comments. Look what happened when everyone here wanted Corriera, pressure got to TR and he finally gave up signing Grienke and tossed that contract in the trash.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I'd rather they push college guys faster, to see if they are any good or not. I'm tired of college guys going to EST and GCL and beating up on HS kids and making the Twins think they are actually good. Buxton will be promoted in june or july, the key is what happens next year, imo. I hope May can learn to throw strikes........

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    I know the Twins make most of their decisions based on the comments section of Twins Daily so can we slow the Buxton to Fort Meyers talk down...I have a bunch of friends coming down Memorial Day from the Cities to catch some games and they want to see him. He will be in Fort Meyers soon enough, at least let him play in the MWL All Star Game and then move him. At least wait until Kepler can replace him or give them time in the outfield together. Then I can see Buxton, ABW2 and Kepler all in the same outfield. Last year it was Rosario, Sano and Vargas in the infield. Give an old minor league guy some love here and cool it before the pressure gets to TR and caves to the vast knowledge contained within these pages of TD comments. Look what happened when everyone here wanted Corriera, pressure got to TR and he finally gave up signing Grienke and tossed that contract in the trash.
    I loved your comment, thanks. Best smile I have had in a week!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know the Twins make most of their decisions based on the comments section of Twins Daily.....Look what happened when everyone here wanted Corriera, pressure got to TR and he finally gave up signing Grienke and tossed that contract in the trash.
    Correia's start last night didn't give you at least some pause from your attempt at light-hearted humor? The Twins make decisions based on many factors, only some of which are based on actually putting the best players in the best situations for their career development. Even Seth admitted in this very thread that your affiliate's deservedmess at their shot at a playoff spot possibly trumps the best developmental interests of any one particular player.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Thanks for the laugh, MWLFan. But you know, these guys are right. The Twins don't know what they're doing. I mean, they trot out these college scrubs in Elizabethton, let them beat up on all these high schoolers, and they start to think they're good. Geez.

Never mind the facts, which are: 1) The average age of the Twins prospects in the Appalachian League versus other teams has been virtually the same for years, and 2) our A level teams have an incredible combined record of 47-16. But they only THINK they're good. But this must be because they're still beating up on younger players, even though they're the same age.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Averages are pretty useless.....the average temperature in a hospital is normal, but for each patient, that average is meaningless.

If that is aimed at me, I've never said they don't know what they are doing, I've said putting college juniors in Elizabethton tells you nothing much about if they are good or not. This opinion is not unique to me, but KLAW and others who have actaully worked in front offices and are now free to be honest because they don't have those aspriations any more have said it online also. I'm using their informed opinion to inform my opinion.

As for the great success of they system, if that is true, where are all the 26-30 year old great home grown players on the current roster that are carrying the team to success? Why did the lose so many games the last two years, and have to go outside their system for their entire starting rotation?
    Lighten up Francis....

mike wants wins,

You said you're tired of college guys..beating up on HS players and making the Twins think they're actually good. I pointed out that you're operating from a false premise. I supplied facts that support it.

As for KLAW's and your opinion about not being able to ascertain whether a college player is good or not if they start in Elizabethton? What nonsense. The Twins know exactly what they have. They know how "good" a player is. And they know what it takes to develop their skills. Players with polish start at higher levels. I'll take the judgment of dozens of field people who see these guys every day over yours.

Oh, and mike, averages are VERY meaningful. For example, the average cost of a certain heart treatment at Allina's Mpls. Heart Clinic is $58,000+. The identical procedure's cost at Park Nicollet is $22,000+. Or do you think these averages are "pretty useless", too?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know the Twins make most of their decisions based on the comments section of Twins Daily so can we slow the Buxton to Fort Meyers talk down
    Sounds like you have outgrown TD and should move up to a higher league, my brother.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    My honest opinion, and I've said it before, is that I don't care where players play the year that they are drafted. That too months is about adjusting to a lot of things whether it's being a professional, being away from home, getting paid, not going to class, finding a place to live and paying bills. Why not do that in a place where the baseball itself will feel comfortable. As has been said, a college starters numbers out of the bullpen in Elizabethton don't matter a lot to me. The scouting reports mean much more.

To me, it starts mattering in their first full year, and the Twins have so many examples in the past decade of college pitcher that move up two or three or even four levels in that year.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Correia's start last night didn't give you at least some pause from your attempt at light-hearted humor? The Twins make decisions based on many factors, only some of which are based on actually putting the best players in the best situations for their career development. Even Seth admitted in this very thread that your affiliate's deservedmess at their shot at a playoff spot possibly trumps the best developmental interests of any one particular player.
    Jokin needs to take his name to heart a bit more me thinks...

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Sounds like you have outgrown TD and should move up to a higher league, my brother.
    I think I will stay and play once and awhile. TD is has some great information and the cast of commenters never fails to intrigue me at the seriousness of the convictions they hold in the face of the other commentators who hold the completely opposite view point. And for the most part it is a civil discourse with a good amount of respect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast