Thread: Potential 2013 Twins second round draft picks: HS arms

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts

Potential 2013 Twins second round draft picks: HS arms

I meant to get this up yesterday but I was a little too busy. The draft is closing in on us and while most of us are focused on the number 4 pick, there could be a lot of value in the 43rd pick. While the Twins have historically taken a lot of college arms in later rounds they have taken a HS arm, J.O. and Boyd, the last two years in the top 55 picks. Like the college list there is no way to know if the guys will be there at 43 on draft day. Also, this obviously isnt a complete list of HS arms but a good place to start.

Kyle Serrano, RHP, 6" 190 lbs, Farragut (Tenn.) HS
    "Tennessee coach Dave Serrano must be bemoaning his bad luck, as his Friday-night starter for 2014 has been so good this season that even familial ties won't be enough to get him on campus -- not with a mid-90s fastball and a 70-grade curveball." Law
    Best pitch- 70 curve ball

Hunter Harvey, RHP, 6'3" 175 lbs, Bandys (N.C.) HS
    "The son of former All-Star closer Bryan Harvey, this North Carolina high school product has used a strong spring to move up Draft boards. He's gained some strength and has a fresh arm after not playing summer ball. Harvey will throw his above-average fastball up to 94 mph. He throws a curve and a changeup, both of which are a bit inconsistent but have the chance to be Major League average pitches. And he has more room to add strength, so there might be more in the tank" Mayo
    Best pitch- 55-60 fastball.

Matt Krook, LHP, 6'2" 190 lbs, St.Ignatius Prep (Cal.)
    "The NoCal product has some serious arm strength, touching 94 mph with his fastball, and there's projection for more in the tank as he matures. He throws a curve and a changeup, and both have the chance to be at least Major League average pitches in the future, though both are inconsistent right now. So is his command, and he hasn't always maintained his velocity deep into starts" Mayo
    Best pitch- 60 Fastball

Devin Williams, RHP, 6'3" 175 lbs, Hazelwood West HS (No.)
    "An athletic right-hander with a somewhat narrow frame but very quick arm, Williams hits 95 mph and shows two solid secondary offerings." Law
    Best pitch: 60 fastball

Connor Jones, RHP, 6'1" 190 lbs, Great Bridge HS ( Va.)
    "The Virginia high school right-hander is committed to the University of Virginia, often a tough one to sign prepsters away from. Teams will undoubtedly try, given Jones' three-pitch mix and good pitcher's frame. Jones can run his fastball up to 93 mph and he throws it with a ton of sink, which should lead to many ground-ball outs in the future. His slider and changeup will need refinement, but both should be decent secondary pitches in the future for him." Mayo
    Best pitch- 60 fastball

Phil Bickford, RHP, 6'4" 200 lbs, Oaks Christian (Cal.)
    "He has the ideal pitching frame and great arm action. He's been up to as high as 96 with his fastball and it has some good sink to it. He throws both a slider and a changeup, though they aren't as consistent as his fastball. The breaking ball is the better of the two, but both have the chance to be at least Major League average pitches in the future. He's composed on the mound and is generally around the strike zone, though improved command will be needed at the next level." Mayo
    Best pitch- 60-65 fastball

Rob Kaminsky, LHP, 6" 190 lbs, St. Joseph regional HS ( N.J.)
    "He has two plus pitches, with his fastball, thrown 92-95 mph, and a hard breaking ball. He has a good feel for his changeup, though he hasn't used it much in his high school career. He also has a pretty good idea of what he's doing on the mound, but he's not the biggest guy in the world, leading some to worry about durability." Mayo
    Best pitch- 60-65 fastball

Jacob Brentz, LHP, 6'2" 190 lbs, Parkway South HS ( Mo.)
    "Brentz has hit 97 mph several times and might have touched triple digits, depending on who you ask. He also possesses a soft curveball that has decent rotation." Law
    Best pitch- 65-70 fastball

Logan Shore, LHP, 6'2" 185 lbs, Coon Rapids HS (Minn.)
    "
    Shore is a good-sized left-hander who runs the fastball to 93-94 mph with a good curveball -- but his school's season starts today, so he hasn't really been scouted this spring, even as other states' schedules are winding down." Law
    Best pitch- 60 fastball

Will Crowe, RHP, 6'3" 225 lbs, Pigeon Forge (Tenn.)
    "Crowe is a big, very physical right-hander who is committed to South Carolina. He has an above-average curveball and has been up to 93 mph with his fastball. He might be a high-maintenance body as he matures." Law
    Best pitch- 55-60 curveball

Ian Clarkin, LHP, 6'2" 190 lbs, James Madison (Cali)
    "He throws his fastall up to 92-93 mph and a power curve. His breaking ball and changeup are both average, giving him the makings of a good three-pitch mix. His results over the summer were a bit mixed, throwing well at the Area Code Games, but struggling with fastball command elsewhere. That didn't keep him from getting a ton of attention this spring, though he's dealt with some inconsistencies during his senior season as well. The raw stuff from the left side should keep many first-round teams interested on Draft day." Mayo
    Best pitch-55-60 fastball

Stephon Gonsalves, LHP, 6'5" 190, Cathedral Catholic HS (Cali)
    "A high school lefty, Gonsalves had a very good summer, pitching well at the Area Code Games and the Perfect Game All-American Classic, though an inconsistent spring had some wondering just how high he'd go on Draft day. This is a pretty decent class for prep southpaws, and with his size and projectability, Gonsalves has the upside to be the best of the lot. He uses a full overhand delivery to fire 88-91 mph fastballs, though he was up to 93 mph at the Perfect Game Classic. He'll throw a plus changeup at times to go along with a slurve, which is a bit of a concern to scouts." Mayo
    Best pitch- 55-60 fastball

Dustin Driver, RHP, 6'2" 210 lbs, Wenatchee HS (Wash.)
    "Driver has some good stuff, with a fastball that's already touching 93-94 mph and a power breaking ball to go along with it. He threw very well at the Area Code Games, showing a good feel for mixing his fastball, breaking stuff and even a changeup. And while some feel he may be a reliever when all is said and done, there's plenty to like about this young right arm.As good as his raw stuff is, he gets equally strong, if not better, marks for his mound presence, instincts and competitiveness, all of which add up to a very bright future." Mayo
    Best pitch-55-60 fastball

Hunter Green, LHP, 6'4" 180 lbs, Warren East HS (Ky.)
    "A lanky lefty from rural Kentucky, Green has a long arm action in back but hides the ball well before relase, with an average fastball and chance for a plus breaking ball." Law
    Best pitch- 50-55 fastball

Once again, there is no way to tell currently if these arms A) will be available at 43 B) HS arm rankings are volatile and there is no guarantee they will be ranked this high by draft day and C) where the Twins actually rank them. Also, as I said before, this isn't a complete list of HS arms but just a general list.

If you missed the college arms list here is the link:
    http://twinsdaily.com/twins-minor-league-talk/6187-potential-2013-twins-second-round-draft-picks-college-arms.html
    Last edited by cmb0252; 04-25-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    From Keith Laws chat today about two of the arms above
    Do you think Rob Kaminsky can go 1st round right now?
    Klaw (1:21 PM)

I think he's a little below that. It's possible he goes first round, but if you're asking me to pinpoint a range for him, I'd say he's more likely to go in picks 31-45 than in picks 16-30.

Is Phil Bickford a first rounder? If not how come?
    Klaw (2:02 PM)

Possibly, more likely second roundish, sounds like he's more arm strength than pitcher, really lacks a breaking ball.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Put me down for Serrano or Brents if still there. Fastballs can be taught... a good curve on the other hand cannot. That's Serrano's advantage. Brent is a lefty that can touch 100. Those are rare as well.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Fastballs can be taught... a good curve on the other hand cannot.
    I'm not sure I ever heard that one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Put me down for Serrano or Brents if still there. Fastballs can be taught... a good curve on the other hand cannot. That's Serrano's advantage. Brent is a lefty that can touch 100. Those are rare as well.
    Serrano is currently my favorite arm for the guys who could be there at 43. I love guys who throw curveballs as their main secondary pitch. He actually reminds me a ton of the Twins second pick last year in JO Berrios. He is super young (won't be 18 till July!!!), very advanced stuff (currently 2+ pitches), "short" at 6", and RH.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Fastballs can be taught... a good curve on the other hand cannot.
    I sure wish the Twins would start teaching their pitchers how to increase velocity and movement on their fastballs.

Senior Member All-Star
    From Jason Churchill on Krook:
    Matt Krook of St. Ignatius Prep (San Francisco) makes what appears to be his second-to-last high school start Friday versus Archbishop Riordan HS. Last time out, Krook fanned 10 in six frames. The left-hander has flashed a 70-grade curveball in the 78-83 mph range, but the pitch has been a bit inconsistent the latter quarter of the season, just as have Krook's outings in general.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if the Twins will take a "sign below slot guy" with their first pick and try to go after dome highupside prep arms. Sort of the opposite what they did last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    BA had a nice article about Rob Kaminsky. It also has a nice video for all of our amateur scouts out there. Link below:
    Rob Kaminsky Puts Team, Charity First - BaseballAmerica.com

This was my favorite excerpt. Real high character kid.
    There’s only one point in which Kaminsky admits that stats matter. At the Perfect Game All-America Game last August, the participating players visited Rady Children’s Hospital in San Diego. Kaminsky was inspired to try his own hand at making a difference. He is collecting pledges for every strikeout he records this season and the proceeds will go to the Englewood Hospital and Medical Center in Kaminsky’s hometown of Englewood Cliffs, N.J. He says the campaign has raised more than $15,000.
    “That’s when stats matter,” Kaminsky said. “I thought if I’m going to be striking people out, why not raise money?”

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I'm not sure I ever heard that one.
    There's a reason for that.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    If the draft were tomorrow, would Serrano likely even be around for the Twins to grab in the early second round?

Senior Member All-Star
    BA on Phil Bickford:
    Phil Bickford has been a riser this spring in the draft landscape and is racking up some gaudy stats too. The righthander from Oaks Christian High (Westlake Village, Calif.) recently struck out 15 in a win over Bonita High (La Verne, Calif).

Senior Member All-Star
    From Christopher Crawford's chat:

Best player that slips to round two?

2:51
    Really hard to answer that on June 5th, much less May 1st. As a guess, I'll say Conner Jones.

As of today, what do you think the odds are that Hunter Harvey is on the board when the Giants pick?

2:58 Right now? 75 percent.

Can you give us your thoughts on Kyle Serrano? I really like this kids stuff.

3:20 Really intriguing. Mechanically a little weird, but plus fastball and a ridiculous slurve. He'll go very early come June, assuming he doesn't wanna play for his dad at UT

Senior Member All-Star
    An interesting comment by Jason Churchill:
    "In most of my conversations over the past week or so, clubs appear to want to draft positions players, and in some cases it seems they may reach a little bit to get one, rather than taking a pitcher.This means a lot of teams in the middle of the first round could end up targeting the best position player available. The result of that may be that prep arms such as St. Ignatius Prep (San Francisco) lefty Matt Krook, fall to clubs like the Atlanta Braves at No. 31, the fourth pick in the sandwich round."

​Why I find this interesting is because Law on one of his pod casts mentioned he could see people in the later part of the first round going lots of college pitchers. This isn't the NFL draft where people can trade picks so I don't think either of these are smoke screens. If this plays out like this there could be a ton of solid HS arms at 43 for the Twins to pick from.

Senior Member All-Star
    From Jim Callis draft chat:

Could you rank by highest upside: Matt Krook, Phil Bickford, Jake Brentz and Hunter Harvey
    Jim Callis: Interesting. I’ll put Krook first because at times he can show you 95 mph along with a killer curve. Bickford second, his fastball is nasty and he’s flying up draft boards. Brentz over Harvey because similar velo but he’s lefthanded. Ranking them as prospects, I’d go Bickford, Krook, Harvey, Brentz.

Senior Member All-Star
    Coon Rapids right-handed pitcher Logan Shore hit 91 mph in the seventh inning of his start on Tuesday. Scouts love to see that sustained arm strength. He's expected to go in the top 75 of the draft, then will have to decide if he'll go pro or use his scholarship offer to Florida. According to Shore and his coach, Jerry Coe, the Twins, Chicago White Sox, Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners, Oakland A's, Washington Nationals, Cincinnati Reds and New York Mets have shown the most interest.