Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Tom Windle

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Tom Windle

Though Windle, a lefty, isn't considered to be a top pick, the local product is likely to be off the board by the end of Round 1.

Game Log:
    2/15 vs #2 UCLA - 4 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 3 K, WP, 5:1 FO:GO (ND) (*When you beat the #2 team at their place, people recognize)
    2/22 vs Western Michigan - 5.2 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K, HBP, 8:3 GO/FO. 78 pitches, 51 strikes. (Win, 1-0) (*Another solid performance)
    3/1 vs Dartmouth - 4.1 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 3 WP(!). 79/49. (Loss, 1-1) (*Not a good performance, the head-to-head with Manaea is going to be big)
    3/8 vs W. Illinois - 9 IP, BB, 8 K, WP. 94/60. (Win, 2-1) (*Obviously a huge performance, though next week's game will be much more heavily scouted)
    3/15 vs Indiana St - 9 IP, 4 H, 2 R, ER, BB, K, 2 HBP. 114/74. (Loss, 2-2)
    3/22 vs Texas - 9 IP, 5 H, ER, 12 K, 9:6 FO:GO, 119/83. (Win, 3-2)
    3/29 vs Michigan - 9 IP, 4 H, ER, BB, 13 K, 7:6 FO:GO, WP, Balk. (Win, 4-2)
    4/5 vs Ohio - 5 IP, 2 H, 5 K, 56/40. (Win, 5-2)
    4/12 vs Northwestern - 5 IP, 7 H, ER, 5 BB, 7 K, 2 WP, Balk, 113/69. (No decision)

*This post will be updated throughout the season. Please link game stories or other related Windle-themed posts below.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 04-19-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windle probably isn't a guy to be considered at #4, but could he possibly fall to the Twins in the 2nd round now that there aren't as many compensation picks? Secondly, he's a Gopher, and as Twins fans, I think it's important to be supportive of the local college team. The Twins seem to have a good relationship with the Gophers and have selected/signed several players from the Gophers (Perkins, Hanson, Pettersen, Knudson, De Vries, Decker, etc.).

WIndle is the Gophers Friday night starter and on March 15, he should get the start at the Metrodome against Indiana State and Sean Manaea.

Blog Entries
    Check out this video on Window from Bullpen Banter. Lanky lefty with a FB at 91-92 and a slider at 83. Pretty impressive!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I think he'll be gone by #43. It'll be interesting to see who might be there at 43. Minor league ball suggested that someone like Marco Gonzales might be available around there. And there are a lot of HS bats for that spot, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Windle probably isn't a guy to be considered at #4, but could he possibly fall to the Twins in the 2nd round now that there aren't as many compensation picks? Secondly, he's a Gopher, and as Twins fans, I think it's important to be supportive of the local college team.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think he'll be gone by #43. It'll be interesting to see who might be there at 43. Minor league ball suggested that someone like Marco Gonzales might be available around there. And there are a lot of HS bats for that spot, too.
    With Windle's strikeout numbers, he could absolutely drop. Gunnarthor's link at minorleagueball has him ranked #58 because of his lack of an out pitch. But I think what the Twins do at #4 will somewhat dictate what they do at #43 as well. If they go Appel at #4, they probably take the college senior they like the most (GT's P Buck Farmer?), if they go college lefty at #4 (Manaea), would they do it again at #43? If I had to guess, I'd say no... but that's the fun of the draft. Regardless, if Windle is available at #43, there will be mutual interest.

Blog Entries
    For subscribers, Baseball America's Aaron Fitt wrote an article on Windle:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...3/2614785.html

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey Seth, I'm not a subscriber. Could you be a trooper and copy/paste the whole thing for me? Thanks

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd rather have Chris Anderson (Lino Lakes, MN) via Jacksonville University. He was a 20th round pick out of high school and has stepped his game up this year as a proven strikeout pitcher. He was also named Mr. Baseball, Gatorade Player of the Year, and Louisville Slugger Player of the Year for the state of Minnesota in 2010. Hometown Product - He is my 2nd Round Player to Watch for Twins
    He has a 1.29 ERA and 22 Strikeouts in 14 innings to begin his junior season. 6'4 / 225 lbs

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Don't pick a hometown guy--judgement is clouded. Mauer is all the "homer" Twins fans need, plus they have Perkins for another slice of home cookin`.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,221 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    *This post will be updated throughout the season. Please link game stories or other related Windle-themed posts below.
    Last year TwinsDaily introduced Adopt-a-Prospect, a feature I assume will carry over this year. Would there be any value in doing something similar for draft prospects? Each of us pick someone and keep tabs on them during the remainder of their college/HS seasons? Maybe it's too late this year, but something for next year.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,221 Times in 731 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Hey Seth, I'm not a subscriber. Could you be a trooper and copy/paste the whole thing for me? Thanks
    I think you mean "trouper". A trooper is the guy who'll come arrest Seth for the copyright violation.

/ which, I realize, is the gist of your joke

Blog Entries
    I mentioned Anderson on my initial draft board. And I agree. He was also rock-solid today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Last year TwinsDaily introduced Adopt-a-Prospect, a feature I assume will carry over this year. Would there be any value in doing something similar for draft prospects? Each of us pick someone and keep tabs on them during the remainder of their college/HS seasons? Maybe it's too late this year, but something for next year.
    I don't know that it would be worth the time the collection of us would put into it. Even if we covered 30 guys, the reality is that one (maybe 2) would end up being Twins. My hope is that I can get enough of a pulse of what the Twins plan to do that I can point readers to guys that may be of interest. Or have enough information at my disposal that after the draft, you can get an idea of who the guy is.

With that being said, feel free to start a thread on any potential draftee. I'll offer anything information that I can.

Blog Entries
    Not a good day for Tom Windle today.

Hope the Twins don't pass on Chris Anderson. This year Chris is on a mission. Beat TCU last night going the distance with 12K's. So far in his 3 starts he's pitched 23 innings, striking out 35. Fastball at 96 with consistency at 92 to 94. He's now being talked about as a possible first rounder.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anderson had 13 K's yesterday vs TCU and threw 138 pitches. At 6'5 - 230 lbs. He is showing MLB scouts that his frame is built for durability. [1.17 ERA / 35 K's / 4 BB's this season]

I heard teams didn't know whether to draft him (Anderson) as a pitcher or position player when he came out of high school - and that's part of why he slipped to 20th round. He hit .437 in high school with 6 HRs.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 305 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Anderson had 13 K's yesterday vs TCU and threw 138 pitches. At 6'5 - 230 lbs. He is showing MLB scouts that his frame is built for durability. [1.17 ERA / 35 K's / 4 BB's this season]

I heard teams didn't know whether to draft him (Anderson) as a pitcher or position player when he came out of high school - and that's part of why he slipped to 20th round. He hit .437 in high school with 6 HRs.
    wow... getting abused on the pitch counts a but, but if he keeps that up, he'll get drafted high.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jacksonville takes a 5-3 win over TCU | TCU 360
    TCU article mentioning Anderson
    "Jacksonville starter Chris Anderson pitched a complete game, allowing three runs on seven hits and walking one. He struck out 13 Horned Frogs. TCU head coach Jim Schlossnagle said Wednesday he thought Anderson might be the hardest thrower the team has seen this season."

Hi lightfoot789 -

Chris is currently 6' 4" at 225 and was drafted in round 35 by the Cubs in 2010. I don't know all the reasoning for the 35 pick but the biggest was that Chris was very up front with all scouts with respect to signing. He wanted a college education and the chance to work with one of the best pitching coaches in the country (Montez) rather than sign for little money and linger in the minors. They were told it would take big money to pass on that opportunity (hence, dropping in the draft). I think he made the wise decision.

Now Whitson & Appel, their choice boggles the mind!!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Bad on the size and round. Bottom line is he made the right choice and should go very high this June. He has improved each year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast