Thread: Johna Santana: Spring start pushed back to Mid-March

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Johna Santana: Spring start pushed back to Mid-March

According to the Mets GM Sandy Alderson, it's not because he's had a setback:

Says Alderson: "There's no structural issue. It's just a matter of building up strength."
    I was about to go out here and write what a disaster that trade was for both franchises. Certainly, Santana hasn't been what we saw or what the Mets expected, but his numbers the first three years with them were awfully good: 600 IP, 2.85 ERA. The last two were bad, but that contract can end after this year. (And considering he'll make $25M if they pick up his option, I expect it will end after this year.)

If he looks like he's returning to health this year, but isn't dominant, I wonder if anyone locally will lobby to go after him for 2014. He'll be 34 this season.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...n-debut-pushed

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I find it hard to believe that any big market team or clear contender would want him after the season. With relative health if could make sense for him to return to the Twins, after another mediocre season the Twins might need the marketing boost and I can't think of another fan base that would get nearly as excited for him (if that matters to him).
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since we really don't know what the rotation will look like when the season starts, or what it will look like in June or what it will be like by the end of the year, it is really hard to guess what the level of interest in Santana might be. That also doesn't take into account the progress or lack of progress, Meyer, May, Berrios and others might make this summer in the minors. Santana will always have interest for those in Minnesota but the chances he will be any sort of fit for the Twins in the future, is pretty remote.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the worst part of the Santana deal was for Santana. I seem to remember reading that his pitcher abuse ratings skyrocketed when he went to NY... I wonder sometimes if he would have been healthy these last couple of years if he had someone like Gardy managing him. I'm not a huge Gardy fan, but he is very careful with his starters... Too bad he hasn't been as careful with his relievers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I think the worst part of the Santana deal was for Santana. I seem to remember reading that his pitcher abuse ratings skyrocketed when he went to NY... I wonder sometimes if he would have been healthy these last couple of years if he had someone like Gardy managing him. I'm not a huge Gardy fan, but he is very careful with his starters... Too bad he hasn't been as careful with his relievers.
    Do you have anything to back up a statement like this? For instance, a summary of abuse or comparison of injuries for Twins relievers compared to other teams? Joe Nathan was babied as much as any reliever and he still blew out his elbow. Pitchers get hurt, it is an unnatural and violent act propagated on the arm. I would argue the Twins are as conservative and cautious as any team when it comes to protecting pitchers - the problem is that there is only so much you can do.

I wholeheartedly agree with the first part of your statement - the Mets drove him into the ground the first couple of years of the deal, which is an interesting strategy for a guy you just signed to a massive six year deal. On the flip side, the injury might have been inevitable.
    Papers...business papers.