Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What should Jamey Carroll's role be?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I'm really surprised by the "throw them all into the fire" attitude out here. I can understand that though process if either:
    1) a player has done all he can at AAA or
    2) a player is a highly regarded prospect who everyone is sure will develop.

But neither of those is true for ANY of the younger players we're talking about. It feels like we're committed to breaking them just because we don't think there is anything better to do.
    I'm not a big believer in players getting "broken" by being called up too soon. If their confidence is completely shattered by scuffling at the major league level, they're probably not a long-term building block anyway. Even established players will slump.

In a perfect world, none of Dozier, Escobar, or Florimon would be even considered as a starting middle infielder for a major league team right now. But the Twins have made their bed, evidently because they think Dozier is closer than you think.

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Regardless of one's opinion on the other "options," there is no reason a team in the Twins' current position should be giving much playing time to 39 year olds. I'm of the opinion "sink or swim" with Dozier, and don't have much confidence that Florimon or Escobar will ever amount to anything, but that's pretty irrelevant. What does giving Carroll a starting spot accomplish?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Regardless of one's opinion on the other "options," there is no reason a team in the Twins' current position should be giving much playing time to 39 year olds. I'm of the opinion "sink or swim" with Dozier, and don't have much confidence that Florimon or Escobar will ever amount to anything, but that's pretty irrelevant. What does giving Carroll a starting spot accomplish?
    You don't hurt his feelings.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    More RBI opportunities for the guys hitting after him? I agree with Dozier getting time, but I don't need to see any more of Florimon and Escobar to know how that turns out.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-25-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123