Thread: Thoma: Thome resisting the inevitable

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thoma: Thome resisting the inevitable

http://fpbaseballoutsider.blogspot.c....html?spref=tw

Edward Thoma of the Mankato Free Press blogged this morning about former Twins DH Jim Thome.

He's 42. He cannot help a team in the field, cannot help it on the bases, cannot help it against left-handed pitching. He found last year with the Phillies that he doesn't cope well with a strict pinch-hitting role, and over the past several seasons has found that four days in a row in the lineup as a DH is pushing the envelope with his health.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the Twins likely being in the cellar this year, why not give him a 1 year deal to DH/pinch hit. That man puts fans in seats, and is the only one in history to get Hawk Harrelson to shut up.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    With the Twins likely being in the cellar this year, why not give him a 1 year deal to DH/pinch hit. That man puts fans in seats, and is the only one in history to get Hawk Harrelson to shut up.
    Didn't Gardy just say he wanted some pop off his bench. Here ya go. Would be some insurance if Morneau is traded and Parmelee not productive. Could DH occasionally- pinch hit for Florimon. Bruce Willis is right- Would put fans in the seats

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    While it would be fun to get Thome back, if the Twins truely are looking for a bat like this off the bench, I suspect they'd give a longer look at the younger, right-handed Chris Colabello instead.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    http://fpbaseballoutsider.blogspot.c....html?spref=tw

Edward Thoma of the Mankato Free Press blogged this morning about former Twins DH Jim Thome.
    His splits haven't been that terrible against lefty's the past couple of years. He's not post-concussion Morneau against them.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why wouldn't the Twins sign him? He loved playing here and he is not looking to make a bunch f money. Have him DH when he can and PH in the other games. We need something to entertain us besides this 90 loss team that Terry Ryan has built for us again.

Liked 298 Times in 167 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would love to see Thome back and agree that he would probably make this season better for us fans. However, with the Twins in a rebuilding mode, I would be concerned about taking at bats from young players who need to be tested.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just responded to the article directly, but here's my thought on the subject:

He is a lock Hall of Famer.
    I appreciate that he loves the game, but I think it's time to go.

Another 50 strikeouts and he will hold the record for the most strikeouts in a career. This is a record he should avoid.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Me thinks twins brass will wait and see how internal canidates do before signing Jim the giant Thome.
    As a fan i,d love to see Thome , but what is best for the team in the long run would to see if Colabello can cut the mustard and continue his cinderella story

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As much as Thome is one of my bigger heroes (even though he kept the Twins out of the playoffs in 2008), I do think it is better for the Twins to make absolutely sure that guys like Colabello can't cut it against big-league pitching before calling up Paul "Jim Thome" Bunyan and working on a contract.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can we sign him to a deal where we can take him off the 25 man and make him a coach if he hits less than .350?