Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Alex Burnett, His Stuff, and Why He's Hasn't Been Sent Packing

  1. #1
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    11
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Alex Burnett, His Stuff, and Why He's Hasn't Been Sent Packing

    I'm generally a postive-type Twins fan (call me Seth-like in that regard), but I can't figure out why Alex Burnett has been kept at the major league levels this long. Without getting into specific statistics (I'll let the responders take this up), my research shows only an organizational belief that his "stuff" will develop. Can't they develop this in AAA (I honestly don't know his option status as of today). Someone convince me otherwise.

  2. #2
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,499
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I agree that it should develop in AAA... It should have two years ago and it should have last year. It's almost as if, because he's been up for two years, that it would be wrong to send him down. I disagree. He's still young and could develop because he does have "stuff." I'd like to see him maximize it, and in my opinion that means a step backward before he can go forward.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    431
    Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Like
    1
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I might be wrong but I think he's out of options. They still shouldn't waste a roster spot on him. We have had plenty of solid bullpen arms show up this spring. There are better pitchers on our roster.
    I bent my wookie...

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,171
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I might be wrong but I think he's out of options. They still shouldn't waste a roster spot on him. We have had plenty of solid bullpen arms show up this spring. There are better pitchers on our roster.
    No. He has another option year remaining
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Posts
    658
    Like
    7
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Seriously, they need to use that option. Like they did with Parmelee, Benson, and Revere, they brought him up from AA because they thought that he was ready. All stats since have said otherwise, but it seems like the Twins refuse to believe that they can't develop someone like Burnett in the Majors. They need to let him slow down, get his feet under him, get more control over his "stuff", and give his spot on the roster who has proven they can play in the bigs (or at least "proven" in spring training that they can play in the bigs)

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,368
    Like
    413
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    What I find interesting about Burnet is that he put up some pretty ridiculous stats in the minors when he came up... it was the Twins that held him back much to the consternation of many fans. That said, at his return to AAA, he hasn't been nearly as good, so clearly they want him doing something else that he cannot seem to do well. I do agree with one option year left, he seems like a logical candidate to return to AAA to work on things. Hopefully the kid figures them out.

  7. #7
    I would be cool with him developing in a mop-up role in the majors, but he seems to be handed a lot of high-leverage situations and seems to fail frequently. If Gardy and Rick Anderson decide to take him north, I suppose there is something in him that can't be seen on telecasts. Maybe he's an amazing clubhouse presence. If the last bullpen spot comes down to Burnett and Manship, I sure hope Manship would get the nod.

  8. #8
    He looks like a guy who has lost confidence if he has "stuff" or not and he probably needs some time in AAA to regain that confidence! He hasn't been good in Spring Training so far (or maybe they have him working on something?)



    GO TWINS!

    Robb
    TwinsTakes.com
    Our Takes, Your Takes, TwinsTakes

  9. #9
    I bump him to AAA to start the year, and tell him he's the first guy up, and they'll make room for him if he produces down there. This seems like a confidence issue (as others have stated), and I think a month in Rochester would do wonders for that. Tell him to go after hitters, take risks and try and groove his fastball.

    Burnett has all the tools, and I think he is evidence that the Twins way of slowly bringing up their prospects has merit. Realistically had he not been rushed, he would have been looking at a full season of AAA in 2010, and half a season in 2011.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    256
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Alex Burnett has all the ability in the world there is no question about it. However, how long can the Twins afford to wait on him to put it all together. My guess is one more year because he has one option left.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 03-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,499
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Mu guess is one more year because he has one option left.
    That would be my guess...

  12. #12
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,680
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    I'm generally a postive-type Twins fan
    Nice Bert-ism.

    Here's my take on Burnett: Probably shouldn't have been in the majors the last two years, and probably shouldn't be at the outset of this year. But he's got a quality 93 MPH FB/86 MPH SL combo. Those are going to be good pitches if he can learn to harness them better. He's still only 24 and oftentimes pitchers don't turn the corner until 25 or 26. Still much too early to give up on him.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    11
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nick, I'm glad you caught my Bert showing. I do think he should be retained, just not at the major league level right now. Create a plan, send to AAA, and develop some confidence in his "stuff".

  14. #14
    Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Posts
    164
    Like
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I'll give two rival reasons he was on the roster the last two years:
    1) The Twins were desperate. This is undoubtedly true for why he was originally called up.
    2) Bill Smith was in charge.

    Ryan seems to be a lot more interested in competition, and it's showing. I don't think Burnett is on this roster on 4/6.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Posts
    777
    Like
    18
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    AAA sounds good to me.
    I got awful tired of seeing him and his ERA last season.
    Let him learn in the learning league.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    546
    Like
    0
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsTakes-RD View Post
    He looks like a guy who has lost confidence if he has "stuff" or not and he probably needs some time in AAA to regain that confidence! He hasn't been good in Spring Training so far (or maybe they have him working on something?)
    I agree. Burnett looks like a guy who is trying to find not just his stuff, but his whole pitching style each time out. For awhile it looked like he was channeling Rivera, but that didn't work. I think he's tinkering too much, and that's a problem best solved in AAA, not with games that count against the major league club.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    584
    Like
    25
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Last year, I think Burnett was Channeling Ron Davis.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    What I find interesting about Burnet is that he put up some pretty ridiculous stats in the minors when he came up... it was the Twins that held him back much to the consternation of many fans.
    This is quite a claim. He had a nice 2009, but not much more evidence that he'd develop into a high quality MLB pitcher. Maybe his stuff is going to get to the next level, but 2009 was a while ago.

  19. #19
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,368
    Like
    413
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Greeley III View Post
    This is quite a claim. He had a nice 2009, but not much more evidence that he'd develop into a high quality MLB pitcher. Maybe his stuff is going to get to the next level, but 2009 was a while ago.

    My point was that there was a time when fans were screaming for the guy and he wasn't getting called up... that's all. Yes, 2009 was a while ago. I was more pointing out the irony.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.