Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 104

Thread: Article: The Blizzard of Oz

  1. #41
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    What? No one is knocking down your door to take your rights. We're explaining why your projection isn't very realistic. Like if I predict 2013 will be a 50 homerun season for Mauer. COULD it happen? Sure, but it's so unrealistic that it's clownish. If you wish to project clownish numbers, no one is taking that right from you. It's just going to be pointed out that it's clownish.

    Now, if we see some changes in his approach (ala Hunter) then we can start to alter projections. But it's going to be some major changes to reach your projection. And the thing is, he could be a DAMN good player at significantly less than your projection.
    No. I disagree. But I wont stoop to calling anything you have said clownish. I had 15 extra minutes: Worm Hunting - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

  2. #42
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    What? No one is knocking down your door to take your rights. We're explaining why your projection isn't very realistic. Like if I predict 2013 will be a 50 homerun season for Mauer. COULD it happen? Sure, but it's so unrealistic that it's clownish. If you wish to project clownish numbers, no one is taking that right from you. It's just going to be pointed out that it's clownish.

    Now, if we see some changes in his approach (ala Hunter) then we can start to alter projections. But it's going to be some major changes to reach your projection. And the thing is, he could be a DAMN good player at significantly less than your projection.
    I don't think my projection is clownish at all. Please read: Worm Hunting - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

  3. #43
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    He was also two levels below MLB.
    Worm Hunting - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

  4. #44
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you post that link enough will the content eventually change to where it has a point?

  5. #45
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    If you post that link enough will the content eventually change to where it has a point?
    Haha! Well, it does have a point. Its "Hope."

    Your posts also have a point. Its "Hate"

  6. #46
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So then perhaps rather than criticizing kab's reply, you should be seeking clarification from the original poster. Rationally, kab's interpretation is the only one that makes sense.
    Well that's gotta be pretty embarrassing. On the other hand, interpreting what people write has never been your strongest suit.

  7. #47
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,102
    Like
    99
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Well that's gotta be pretty embarrassing. On the other hand, interpreting what people write has never been your strongest suit.
    Huh? Again, you went after kab's very rational, factually-backed approach to a poorly articulated, overzealous projection. And then backpeddled to state you had no idea what he meant. As is clear from this thread, the poster in question cannot be interpreted rationally. kab gave his argument far more credit than it deserves. As I'm doing to your "thoughts" now.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Huh? Again, you went after kab's very rational, factually-backed approach to a poorly articulated, overzealous projection. And then backpeddled to state you had no idea what he meant. As is clear from this thread, the poster in question cannot be interpreted rationally. kab gave his argument far more credit than it deserves. As I'm doing to your "thoughts" now.
    Dude chill. Kab can stand up for his/herself. I know. Rosario won't play in Minnesota this year. Its in the original post/thread. I wasn't arguing anything. I was stating my opinion (would rather see Rasario struggle than the AAA guys struggle). It is a perfectly rational idea. I even disclaimed that IT WONT HAPPEN. So you can stop pretending like youre "above" anyone else on here. Because you ARE NOT

  9. #49
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,102
    Like
    99
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Rosario won't play in Minnesota this year.
    This is the Hicks thread. I'm not surprised you're having trouble keeping track of your posts that are being criticized.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Huh? Again, you went after kab's very rational, factually-backed approach to a poorly articulated, overzealous projection. And then backpeddled to state you had no idea what he meant. As is clear from this thread, the poster in question cannot be interpreted rationally. kab gave his argument far more credit than it deserves. As I'm doing to your "thoughts" now.
    Kab can speak for his or herself. If you hate my posts so much, just stop reading them! It really is your choice to ignore or to become involved. Kab's facts support the Hicks-Hunter comparison very well. Thank you Kab

  11. #51
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This is the Hicks thread. I'm not surprised you're having trouble keeping track of your posts that are being criticized.
    Oh yes, can hardly keep them straight! Its still fun though.

    BTW...this is actually the Oswaldo Arcia thread!!! So you CAN be wrong! Amazing
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 02-27-2013 at 11:25 PM.

  12. #52
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    7,043
    Like
    1,090
    Liked 1,297 Times in 774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Your posts also have a point. Its "Hate"
    It's amazing what a change in Avatar can do.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Posts
    649
    Like
    135
    Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think that mnfanforlife's projection was optimistic. However...
    indeed Torii Hunter's progress, with all the raw talent he had as a kid, has been in some ways mirrored by Hicks.
    It may be useful to point out that Hicks was 22 years old at New Britian. Only Arcia was 21 years old for the season.
    Hicks is young for AA ball.
    Arcia is otherworldly.

  14. #54
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,086
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Kab can speak for his or herself. If you hate my posts so much, just stop reading them! It really is your choice to ignore or to become involved. Kab's facts support the Hicks-Hunter comparison very well. Thank you Kab
    If you'll notice that Hunter's 7pt BA improvement is a far cry from the 20 pt improvement that you projected by Hicks. Additionally there are dozens of examples where BA's fell by 10-30 pts. It's not like I cherry picked these examples to make my argument. If I had I wouldn't have included Hunter even though I knew you would latch onto the Hicks-Hunter without acknowledging just how rare it is for someone to do what Hunter did. Your analysis and projections continue to focus on the very unlikely scenarios while others live in a world of reality.

    Actually I did cherry pick the examples. I only included those that succeeded at the MLB level. That list would look far worse if I included the Restovich's and other AAA flameouts.

    Nobody is defending me. they are simply agreeing that your projections, analysis and thoughts are not very good.

  15. #55
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,771
    Like
    143
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    @mnfanforlife
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    they are simply agreeing that your projections, analysis and thoughts are not very good.
    kab21 is right. Look, it stinks, but no one is going to be convinced by your gut-level optimism. It defies not only Hicks track record, but it also ignores the context and history of prospect development. While everyone has a right to an opinion, not every opinion is valid--that is, not every opinion is as hard-won--some research more, can put stats in better context, have a greater familiarity with development, knows well the difference between ceiling and career year, etc.

    Rather than suggest that those who don't agree with you are haters, while it takes some humility, accept that you could probably do a better job of projection and analyst. After all, witness again how you responded to Leviathan in one post:
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Haha! Sprinkled them with magic dust. Love it. Yeah, its fun to imagine the best in prospects. Sorry if I am wrong. I just am not afraid to be disappointed about this kind of stuff. It really is a gamble with no consequences for losing...for me. Not for everyone.
    You can't really expect anyone to take you seriously, when an optimism without consequences underpins your point of view, can you?

    Good luck, and I hope you have the courage to refine your approach.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 02-28-2013 at 12:45 AM.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    @mnfanforlife

    kab21 is right. Look, it stinks, but no one is going to be convinced by your gut-level optimism. It defies not only Hicks track record, but it also ignores the context and history of prospect development. While everyone has a right to an opinion, not every opinion is valid--that is, not every opinion is as hard-won--some research more, can put stats in better context, have a greater familiarity with development, knows well the difference between ceiling and career year, etc.

    Rather than suggest that those who don't agree with you are haters, while it takes some humility, accept that you could probably do a better job of projection and analyst. After all, witness again how you responded to Leviathan in one post: You can't really expect anyone to take you seriously, when an optimism without consequences underpins your point of view, can you?

    Good luck, and I hope you have the courage to refine your approach.
    Wow. We will see who is right or wrong about Hicks. As for your little "group think" session. Be careful what you're all so sure about...The vast majority of people at NASA believed the Challenger mission was "good to go" that fateful day, despite one engineer that was "crazy" enough to predict an O-ring failure. Obviously, these baseball projections mean nothing compared to the loss of human life. But its a good example of everyone going along with what the group thinks, even though they were all wrong.

    Hunter is a perfect comparison for Hicks. And I continue to assert that Hicks could very well have a career year of .290 with 25 HR's and 35 Sb's. I apologize for any confusion about the intentions of my "Hicks projection."

    Individuality is a good thing. Monotony of opinion is not. Be open-minded and allow positive things to enter your life.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 02-28-2013 at 01:05 AM.

  17. #57
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I think that mnfanforlife's projection was optimistic. However...
    indeed Torii Hunter's progress, with all the raw talent he had as a kid, has been in some ways mirrored by Hicks.
    It may be useful to point out that Hicks was 22 years old at New Britian. Only Arcia was 21 years old for the season.
    Hicks is young for AA ball.
    Arcia is otherworldly.
    You are always a quality human being. Thank you. No emotions. Just baseball.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    While everyone has a right to an opinion, not every opinion is valid--that is, not every opinion is as hard-won--some research more, can put stats in better context, have a greater familiarity with development, knows well the difference between ceiling and career year, etc.
    Please teach me everything you know! I want to learn from the best - - The TD "Experts" - - they are always correct about every prospect. And they never stray from low-to-moderate projections! I can't wait for my first lecture. Its about how to squash your imagination by being overly-concerned with statistics.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 02-28-2013 at 01:47 AM.

  19. #59
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    It defies not only Hicks track record, but it also ignores the context and history of prospect development.
    Hicks minor league career is very similar statistically to Hunter's. And Hicks has been compared to Hunter since draft day. Hicks could very well hit .300 in MLB someday..like Hunter did twice in his 30's....It is not out of the question to assert that Hicks will develop into a very similar player. So what are you talking about here?
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 02-28-2013 at 01:55 AM.

  20. #60
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    If you'll notice that Hunter's 7pt BA improvement is a far cry from the 20 pt improvement that you projected by Hicks. Additionally there are dozens of examples where BA's fell by 10-30 pts. It's not like I cherry picked these examples to make my argument. If I had I wouldn't have included Hunter even though I knew you would latch onto the Hicks-Hunter without acknowledging just how rare it is for someone to do what Hunter did. Your analysis and projections continue to focus on the very unlikely scenarios while others live in a world of reality.

    Actually I did cherry pick the examples. I only included those that succeeded at the MLB level. That list would look far worse if I included the Restovich's and other AAA flameouts.

    Nobody is defending me. they are simply agreeing that your projections, analysis and thoughts are not very good.
    Look, thank you for the statistical breakdown you provided to try and convince me that Hicks cannot ever hit .290 in MLB. But, I have the right to project whatever I want. If you don't think its good, then dont post on the thread. And yes, they were defending you. There is a little support group of posters that like to be very modest with projections and never risk any criticism. Don't be afraid to make mistakes! This is baseball...have some fun! Your stats proved absolutely nothing about Hicks. However, I do appreciate the effort.

    You cannot prove anything about Hicks' future right now. Time will prove that. I understand your thinking, but I will never think like that. I'm not afraid to make mistakes about prospects and I invite criticism. Go ahead and tell me the problems you have with this post...I promise to be respectful.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 02-28-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.