Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Out of options: Swarzak, Plouffe, Wood and Roenicke

  1. #21
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,917
    Like
    992
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Who cares if they are claimed?
    Well, it's never good stewardship by the front office to just fritter away *any* resources - too many up and down moves just for the sake of motion and soon you find that all the somewhat-useful pieces are claimed and everything that remains really are the dregs of the dregs.

    But, a part of me would welcome a DFA getting claimed - I am so tired of my team trying to scoop up a hidden gem in another team's discards, it would be nice to have some other team being the bottom-feeder on us for a change, and for there to be something actually worth scooping up that my team was too well-off to be able to conserve.

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,777
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Blergh. Pressly threw plenty of innings last year and is suited for the role. If he sucks in April, they can probably trade off Bigley and Pimentel in a trade. If he manages to be decent enough in 2013, then that is a good chance to take for the future. Swarzak, Roenicke, and Wood are no future options. This is clear.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,785
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    The other thing that needs to be considered is that a lot of last season's starters (Deduno, Vasquez, Perdomo, De Vries etc) will clearly be part of the bullpen competition as well.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  4. #24
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,623
    Like
    5
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    The other thing that needs to be considered is that a lot of last season's starters (Deduno, Vasquez, Perdomo, De Vries etc) will clearly be part of the bullpen competition as well.
    I doubt any of those guys will be tried out as relievers, except for Perdomo who was never a starter. They're rotation depth.

  5. #25
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,785
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I doubt any of those guys will be tried out as relievers, except for Perdomo who was never a starter. They're rotation depth.
    On today's game they pitched just one inning each, like all the relievers......
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  6. #26
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,503
    Like
    2,281
    Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Would it also make sense to be ready to keep a spot open to claim some other team's promising player off waivers, if such player seems better than someone on the Twins' roster?

  7. #27
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,623
    Like
    5
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    On today's game they pitched just one inning each, like all the relievers......
    You've gotta be kidding. It's the first week of spring training. The "starter" threw a whopping two innings.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    580
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    I am tired of this garbage stats that are more suitable for starting pitchers. K/9 and BB/9 are not right for guys who throw 1 inning. Why can't we just make them what they are so they make more sense. K/1 and BB/1.

    Just my little insane take on the K/9 and BB/9 that just makes no sense for RP's...

  9. #29
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I am tired of this garbage stats that are more suitable for starting pitchers. K/9 and BB/9 are not right for guys who throw 1 inning. Why can't we just make them what they are so they make more sense. K/1 and BB/1.

    Just my little insane take on the K/9 and BB/9 that just makes no sense for RP's...
    It's a ratio. If it bugs you that much, you can go through the arduous mental gymnastics of dividing it by 9.

  10. #30
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,917
    Like
    992
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    You've gotta be kidding. It's the first week of spring training. The "starter" threw a whopping two innings.
    I assumed he was kidding. I didn't get whatever humor was intended, however.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    580
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    It's a ratio. If it bugs you that much, you can go through the arduous mental gymnastics of dividing it by 9.
    You are missing the point. It does not fit for RP to be compared to starters with those stats.

  12. #32
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,609
    Like
    802
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    You are missing the point. It does not fit for RP to be compared to starters with those stats.
    What? Any comparisons are done by the user of the statistic, not the statistic itself. Should WHIP be changed as well? Starters don't pitch one inning at a time, let's have a completely separate WHIP/9. But wait, not all starters pitch the same number of innings, it wouldn't be a fair comparison. We'll need WHIP/5 for Twins starters, and WHIP/7 for Tigers starters.

    Why don't you use BB% and SO% instead of the per/9 rates if it bugs you that much? They're readily available on Fangraphs.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  13. #33
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    You are missing the point. It does not fit for RP to be compared to starters with those stats.
    It does, because it's an average over any number of innings. Starters generally don't go 9 IP, either. Maybe make their stat K/5.2 IP? It isn't "K per outing", it's "K per 9 innings" because that's the arbitrary length they decided games should be over a century ago. Take it up with MLB if you think it's an injustice to the statistical integrity of the game. Maybe they can go to a fixed game clock instead of innings and keep track of per game stats that way.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    579
    Like
    6
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    It does, because it's an average over any number of innings. Starters generally don't go 9 IP, either. Maybe make their stat K/5.2 IP? It isn't "K per outing", it's "K per 9 innings" because that's the arbitrary length they decided games should be over a century ago. Take it up with MLB if you think it's an injustice to the statistical integrity of the game. Maybe they can go to a fixed game clock instead of innings and keep track of per game stats that way.
    As a high school umpire I am totally in favor for the fixed clock in baseball. You don't know how many Friday and Saturday afternoons I have had to ump when it is 95, humid, and the pitcher can't find the strike zone, which is anywhere between the top of the helmet to the shoelaces. Worst sport to officiate ever (including volleyball which is easy but terrible to watch)

  15. #35
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    As a high school umpire I am totally in favor for the fixed clock in baseball. You don't know how many Friday and Saturday afternoons I have had to ump when it is 95, humid, and the pitcher can't find the strike zone, which is anywhere between the top of the helmet to the shoelaces. Worst sport to officiate ever (including volleyball which is easy but terrible to watch)
    Oh, I know the feeling. When I coached (and by doing so, often umped) my hometown summer baseball teams, there was no shortage of those games, from peewee games up to Legion. The field got nicknamed "The Pit" because it was half surrounded by a stadium-seating-like hill which seemed to funnel the heat downward. Regularly upwards of 105 on the sand. Not great times.

  16. #36
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    As a high school umpire I am totally in favor for the fixed clock in baseball. You don't know how many Friday and Saturday afternoons I have had to ump when it is 95, humid, and the pitcher can't find the strike zone, which is anywhere between the top of the helmet to the shoelaces. Worst sport to officiate ever (including volleyball which is easy but terrible to watch)
    Well stop officiating men's volleyball then. Women's volleyball is anything but terrible.

  17. #37
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,400
    Like
    161
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I missed the part where Slama was even given a shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.