Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Mackey: Morneau might start the season as DH

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,136
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200

    Mackey: Morneau might start the season as DH

    Interesting piece. You can find it here.

    Also within this piece (towards the end) looks like Hollimon is getting a good look.

    The one think the will fallout from Mornaeu being a DH is that Doumit will be the backup C instead of the everyday DH and Parmelee will make the team instead of Butera. I can live with that last one.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  2. #2
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,674
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    318
    I dunno, it's a weird situation. You don't want a DH that's not hitting. How patient will the Twins be with Morneau if his bat doesn't come around? Lots of people (including Mackey in this article) pointing to his poor batting average in 2010 as reason not to worry, but at least he was flashing some power that year with three doubles and a couple homers. Right now he's got three singles in 33 AB.

    It sounds like even when he's making solid contact he's going the other way. He needs to show that his reactions and wrist are strong enough for him to start turning on the ball with authority, otherwise I fear it'll be more of the same from last year. If he doesn't take some strides within the next couple weeks, I think I prefer the idea of him opening the season on the DL, resting the wrist a bit and then doing a rehab stint in Rochester.

  3. #3
    The problem with Morneau being the everyday DH is that Joe Mauer will have no place in the lineup when he doesn't catch. Would you not let Morneau start at 1B but then ask him to play there when Mauer needs a break, which will be often? I also think this is the reason why the Twins have never gone out to get a full-time DH.
    Last edited by WJ; 03-22-2012 at 04:06 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Posts
    823
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Extended Spring Training.

    DL

    Please. Don't embarrass him again, like last year.

  5. #5
    I think the question with Maloney and Hollimon, who are putting up crazy good spring break statistics, is why? Unless there is evidence otherwise, I think you can only assume it's a small-sample fluke. If these two have turned corners, it should be possible to point to something specific - say, Maloney is all of the sudden throwing 96mph or something - that has caused the breakthroughs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,136
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by WJ View Post
    The problem with Morneau being the everyday DH is that Joe Mauer will have no place in the lineup when he doesn't catch. Would you not let Morneau start at 1B but then ask him to play there when Mauer needs a break, which will be often? I also think this is the reason why the Twins have never gone out to get a full-time DH.
    I think that Mauer can DH when he is not catching and Morneau will be sitting that day.

    About that DL vs DH equation:

    I do get it, you want your best hitters up and if he is not 100% he should be in DL working out in FL. Here is the curveball though:
    If Morneau goes to the DL, almost certainly Butera gets called up as a 3rd Catcher (Parmalee 1B and Doumit DH.)
    Who would you rather have (or who would be more effective?) Morneau at 75% or Butera at 100%? For me the choice is pretty clear...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,136
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
    I think the question with Maloney and Hollimon, who are putting up crazy good spring break statistics, is why? Unless there is evidence otherwise, I think you can only assume it's a small-sample fluke. If these two have turned corners, it should be possible to point to something specific - say, Maloney is all of the sudden throwing 96mph or something - that has caused the breakthroughs.
    Maloney lost about 25 lbs last off-season and is in the best shape of his life.
    Hollimon (who at some point put crazy good numbers in the minors for a middle infielder) is finally healthy after 2-3 years of nagging injuries.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  8. #8
    There are still a couple of weeks to go, but if Morneau does not start hitting the ball with authority more consistently, the best option would be to open the season on the DL and continue to get as many AB as possible in extended spring training. I can't imagine Gardenhire moving him to the bottom of the order in the lineup and right now, he is not a cleanup hitter. Parlmelee is hitting the ball well and would help the Twins much more than a struggling Morneau.

    Some room for optimism: listened to the game on radio today and while he was 0-3, he hit the ball hard twice, both to opposite side.

  9. #9
    Maloney lost about 25 lbs last off-season and is in the best shape of his life.
    Hollimon (who at some point put crazy good numbers in the minors for a middle infielder) is finally healthy after 2-3 years of nagging injuries.
    Well, if that explains it it means the Twins pulled an above-average hitting shortstop and a solid setup-man off the scrap heap at a time when they were in desperate need of both. I guess I wouldn't bet on it, but we can always hope.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,136
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
    Well, if that explains it it means the Twins pulled an above-average hitting shortstop and a solid setup-man off the scrap heap at a time when they were in desperate need of both. I guess I wouldn't bet on it, but we can always hope.
    They actually pulled Hollimon off the scrap heap last season and let him work his way up in New Britain and Rochester, then re-signed him as a MiLB free agent. Unlike Maloney he is not new to the organization.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  11. #11
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    11
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm on board with Thrylos for the most part (anything to see Buterra's reign of terror end), but going opposite field is a talent reserved for keeping the defense/pitcher honest, working with the pitch count you have, and going with the pitch. If he can't pull the ball, Justin is essentially a slap hitting, above average defending (absent injuries diving for balls) first baseman. If he can't pull soon or within the first few weeks, DL and work his way back to health the right way. The Twins just don't use the DL effectively.

  12. #12
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,674
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    318
    I don't think Morneau's situation has any bearing on whether Butera makes the roster. The Twins are carrying a third catcher no matter what.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Posts
    363
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I dunno, it's a weird situation. You don't want a DH that's not hitting. How patient will the Twins be with Morneau if his bat doesn't come around? Lots of people (including Mackey in this article) pointing to his poor batting average in 2010 as reason not to worry, but at least he was flashing some power that year with three doubles and a couple homers. Right now he's got three singles in 33 AB.

    It sounds like even when he's making solid contact he's going the other way. He needs to show that his reactions and wrist are strong enough for him to start turning on the ball with authority, otherwise I fear it'll be more of the same from last year. If he doesn't take some strides within the next couple weeks, I think I prefer the idea of him opening the season on the DL, resting the wrist a bit and then doing a rehab stint in Rochester.





    Would make sense...I just feel bad for him and us fans...he was such a stud fron '06' to '09'

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,136
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    TR was just on ESPN 1500 Radio and said that Morneau's wrist is 80-90% and getting stronger daily. I guess he is giving the medical reports now. At least no concussion talk...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  15. #15
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,495
    Like
    3,512
    Liked 3,013 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I don't think Morneau's situation has any bearing on whether Butera makes the roster. The Twins are carrying a third catcher no matter what.
    +1. I don't get the connection either.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,136
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    +1. I don't get the connection either.
    If Morneau is the full time DH, Doumit will be on the bench as the full time second catcher or occasionally at the OF or occasionally starting when Mauer sits. So no need to have Butera up to pick his nails.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.