Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Vikings Offseason

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I don't agree with the "depth for starter" line, and I'd agree completely that line of argument is hogwash. That said, there are those who say Patterson is a better body Percy Harvin, and the Vikings have seen what Harvin could do when he could stay on the field (missing plenty of snaps due to the pounding his smaller frame took). When you have an opportunity to get a talent like that, you do what you can to grab him. The Vikings knew (hopefully, though no one really "knows" what's going on in their draft room) that getting that talent would mean extra money that could mean they couldn't pay a 2nd-4th round pick this year that could provide them a possible starter while also picking up a veteran for competition sake, like they could do without Patterson. Now they're going to be more focused on getting a couple cheaper veteran options because of the way the draft worked out, but money-wise, that could be smarter because they can get a guy who is gone for 2014 and use an early pick on a long-term solution at LB.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

So, now to finishing off the offseason...

The long-term desirable guys are off the board, so the Vikings are probably looking more 1-2 year fix for anything, but there are still some solid names out there:

Linebackers:
    Karlos Dansby
    Nick Barnett
    Daryl Smith
    Brian Urlacher
    Leroy Hill
    Takeo Spikes
    Bart Scott
    Quincy Black
    Rocky McIntosh
    Chris Gocong
    Bradie James
    Will Witherspoon
    Scott Fujita
    Thomas Howard
    Keith Brooking
    Paris Lenon
    Bryan Thomas
    Demorrio Williams

Defensive Backs:
    Chris Gamble
    Quentin Jammer
    Quintin Mikell
    Charles Woodson
    Sheldon Brown
    Kerry Rhodes
    Gerald Sensabaugh
    Madieu Williams
    Ronde Barber
    Nate Clements
    Sam Shields
    Shawntae Spencer
    Cedric Griffin
    Jacob Lacey
    Rashean Mathis
    Terrence McGee
    Abram Elam
    Marcus Trufant
    Jason Allen
    Chris Crocker
    Will Allen
    Stanford Routt
    Jordan Babineaux
    Atari Bigby

Others of interest:
    Brandon Lloyd
    John Abraham
    Austin Collie
    Sedrick Ellis
    Laurent Robinson
    Richard Seymour
    Randy Moss
    Shaun Cody
    Josh Cribbs
    Kellen Winslow
    Steve Breaston
    Early Doucet
    Amobi Okoye
    Braylon Edwards
    LaRod Stephens-Howling
    Devery Henderson
    Brandon Stokley
    Deion Branch
    Donte Stallworth
    Stefan Logan

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    When you have an opportunity to get a talent like that, you do what you can to grab him. .
    I agree, I really hope we got ourselves a bigger, more durable Percy. I have trouble believing Patterson will be more physical (hell, I'm not sure there is any skill player in the league other than maybe AP and Lynch as physical as Harvin was) but I am really encouraged by getting him.

My point was just that there were good players available at those picks at key positions of need. So the notion I've heard floating around that you agree with is what bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I agree, I really hope we got ourselves a bigger, more durable Percy. I have trouble believing Patterson will be more physical (hell, I'm not sure there is any skill player in the league other than maybe AP and Lynch as physical as Harvin was) but I am really encouraged by getting him.

My point was just that there were good players available at those picks at key positions of need. So the notion I've heard floating around that you agree with is what bothered me.
    My thoughts there may be different than others...to me, there were going to be good players available at each of those spots, that was a given. For all that was known, the Vikings could have traded just the 2nd and 4th and gotten Te'o and still had the 3rd to get Bailey or Quinton Patton and then use their 4th on Marcus Lattimore with their ILB and WR needs already covered to have possibly the best RB in the whole class on a redshirt year next season. There are just too many what-if statements to say just on that basis that the trade was bad.

What I agree with is that there's logic in trading the amount of picks they did in this year's draft in order to ensure there were still finances to fill the roster in free agency. I don't like the pure "depth player for a star" trade analysis as in the draft, it's pure fallacy. Heck, the most respected name in the business, Kiper, rated the Ravens as the best draft this year, and the AFC North blogger for the same employer as Kiper wrote that the Ravens had the worst draft in their own division. We simply don't know now, and we won't for a few years.

There are just too many what-if statements to say just on that basis that the trade was bad.
    That wasn't my intent. I was just speculating how we might ultimately evaluate this deal.

What I agree with is that there's logic in trading the amount of picks they did in this year's draft in order to ensure there were still finances to fill the roster in free agency.
    Here's where we still have an issue - they are only saving 400k with this decision. You could argue about saving roster spots but money isn't the reason they did this, 400k isn't making or breaking any FA moves. Now drafting Locke to cut 2M in Kluwe? That I could grant you.

Here's where we still have an issue - they are only saving 400k with this decision. You could argue about saving roster spots but money isn't the reason they did this, 400k isn't making or breaking any FA moves. Now drafting Locke to cut 2M in Kluwe? That I could grant you.
    Okay, that's me not explaining my point well. You sign your 2nd round pick, and you have someone typically your organization is locked into for a number of years. You sign Keith Brooking or someone like that, it's understood it's a short-term answer, and no one expects you to keep him on the team for 2014. Money-wise for this year, it's similar, but then going into 2014, that spot (and money) is open again for possibly a better player to come on board and take over the position long-term.
    When they moved those picks, they essentially were saying (to me, at least), we're planning to fill these spots with short-term fixes for now because we think we have a top-end long-term star that we could get.

When they moved those picks, they essentially were saying (to me, at least), we're planning to fill these spots with short-term fixes for now because we think we have a top-end long-term star that we could get.
    See, that doesn't make sense to me because guys who are 2-4 round picks aren't tying up your payroll. In fact, if they are playing and playing well they are a boon to your cap situation because they're dirt cheap. To me that deal had NOTHING to do with saving money and everything about going up to get a guy with high upside that you get locked up for 5 years of team control.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the most respected name in the business, Kiper
    What business are you referring to, exactly?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    You could argue about saving roster spots but money isn't the reason they did this, 400k isn't making or breaking any FA moves. Now drafting Locke to cut 2M in Kluwe? That I could grant you.
    this

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456