Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vikings Offseason

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    It's hard for me to predict win totals when our most important position is such a wild-card. I'm still very down on Ponder, but he certainly showed some positives from time to time last year. If he's the "I can't throw for 100 yards" guy we saw for a few stretches last year, it won't matter what the schedule is.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'm willing to give Ponder one more year to show what he has. Hardest position in all of sports, and that first year there was no training camp. Plus, that is one of the worst WR corps ever.....but he has to show a lot more this year to keep his job, imo. I really don't know what to expect. I'm just as worried about the D, though. Not one CB is a guy you can trust. The DL didn't get as much pressure last year, and I can't even name the 3rd LBer right now.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well, that's your opinion Dave, but in 2011 there was a lot of talk about him being a 2012 top ten pick. There is a lot of talent there, I'd love to gamble on that in the third.
    Seeing a lot of steam now on Honey Badger going in the back end of the first round!

I will let Dave chew on that but if true - too rich for my blood.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    I will let Dave chew on that but if true - too rich for my blood.
    Exactly. Third is a good spot for a talent-heavy, character-questionable type. Going early tends to blow up a lot. The problem is that people remember the ones that excel (Randy Moss, et al).
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Seeing a lot of steam now on Honey Badger going in the back end of the first round!
    Where????

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've gotten the impression that honey badger was more a 3rd rounder due to the question marks... I'd certainly consider blowing the second round or third rounder on the guy... He has talent.

The real question is what will Spielman do with this his picks. Something tells me there will be a trade or two on Friday.

I hope if he's trading it's up to the second and not up in the first. I very much like our chances of grabbing two huge cogs for this team in the first round already.

I hope if he's trading it's up to the second and not up in the first. I very much like our chances of grabbing two huge cogs for this team in the first round already.
    From the sounds of the "experts" it won't take as much this year to move up. If the Vikes can package their first round pick and a third round to move up high enough to draft Austin, I think they have to seriously consider it. Jennings+Austin is a pretty nice start to a WR corp to be honest.

I'm not a huge Te'o fan, but if you end up with him at 25 I think he could be a nice steal.

Let's be honest, with the way "hype, ESPN, etc" works, if he has even a decent National Championship game and the whole fake girlfriend thing doesn't come out, we are prob looking at a guy who goes in the top 5 possibly or top 10 for sure.

So my ideal draft:

Trade up to get Austin (true gamechanger)
    draft Teo (or some other LB)

and then spend the 2nd round pick on a CB.

And find a OG somewhere in the 4th round (or trade up to the 3rd round again to grab one)

Load up on LB, CB, WR, CB the rest of the draft.

Also if Landry Jones is sitting around in the 4th round, snatch him up.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I predict they deal one of the picks to buffalo or the Jets to move up to take a QB. The Vikes get their 2nd this year, and 2nd and 5th next year.

The other pick will be used on defense.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Let's be honest, with the way "hype, ESPN, etc" works, if he has even a decent National Championship game and the whole fake girlfriend thing doesn't come out, we are prob looking at a guy who goes in the top 5 possibly or top 10 for sure.
    Not as a middle linebacker who isn't particularly fast. It is a situational position at this point. You aren't drafting a guy you hope to be a great nickel cornerback in the top ten.

Vikes D just got beefed up....a big ass D tackle and a big Corner.

They gonna target a WR in round 2 or maybe Te'o keeps falling.

Yeah, love those two picks. Instantly make the defense even better.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Great picks- looked like we traded with the Pats for the 29th pick!

That first round was ****ing perfect!!!!

We still have a huge hole at LB though, hopefully we can find one, but so far, we got two insane talents at DT/WR who could honestly become the Warren Sapp/Randy Moss of this draft, the CB we got is solid as well, clearly an upgrade.

I'd argue if we get to the mid to late part of the 2nd round we should trade up and grab Te'o as well. Or another LB.

Either way, I give the Vikes an A+ thus far, they have done the best on "day one" by far.

Could be happier with how aggressive the Vikes were yesterday.

Yes the Vikes are thin at LB, but Urlacher is still out there :-)

It was a steep price to pay but if you love the guy (and they must have) then I'm excited to see what he can do. I'm just glad it wasn't Teo!

It was a steep price to pay but if you love the guy (and they must have) then I'm excited to see what he can do. I'm just glad it wasn't Teo!
    According to the "draft points thing" it was a pretty even trade.

I would have preferred to hold onto the 3rd just so we had a pick tonight... but honestly a laterish 3rd round pick doesn't have a ton of value.

Frankly, I hope we can somehow trade Toby and a 5th or 6th tonight for a 3rd round pick.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    According to the "draft points thing" it was a pretty even trade.

I would have preferred to hold onto the 3rd just so we had a pick tonight... but honestly a laterish 3rd round pick doesn't have a ton of value.

Frankly, I hope we can somehow trade Toby and a 5th or 6th tonight for a 3rd round pick.
    The spin machine just keeps going... It was good to get a WR that they apparently like since that is an essential need for the Vikings.

Bill Barnwell on day one of the NFL draft - Grantland

Minnesota acquires the 29th overall pick from New England for the 52nd, 83rd, 102nd, and 229th picks.
    Quantitative winner: New England (59.5 percent more in return)
    Real-life winner: New England

Note the dramatic gulf between what Stuart's model thought of the difference in value across the first four trades and what it thought of this one. The Patriots, simply put, took the Vikings to the cleaners. It's incredible that Bill Belichick seems to pull this off every year, but it's even more impressive in this draft. Chase's model estimates, historically, that the 29th overall pick has delivered about 40 percent more value than the 52nd overall pick during their first five seasons in the league. That's really not that much, and in a flat draft like this year's, it's undoubtedly a smaller figure, probably closer to 10 percent or so. For that tiny chance of getting a better player, the Vikings gave up third- and fourth-round picks that could end up producing valuable contributors. In 2007, the 83rd pick delivered Charles Johnson, who became a double-digit pass rusher and one of the highest-paid players in football. The 102nd pick that year was Brian Robison, who himself has 30 sacks over six years in the league. The Patriots aren't getting worthless picks here.

The Vikings made this move to get Cordarrelle Patterson, which seems shortsighted considering the bevy of second-tier wideouts still left on the market. They could have waited through the end of the first round and the top of the second round, where few teams need wideouts, before pouncing in the middle of the second round. That might only have cost them a fifth-round pick or so. In any case, it took what had been an excellent Vikings draft and ruined their night. And while it might not have been the most exciting return for Patriots fans, it was very clearly the right move to make.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast