Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vikings Offseason

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wallace AND Harvin would have been a fantastic combo. Oh well.

The interesting thing for those who look is that AP averages almost a yard a carry more when Percy is not on the field than when he is. Not sure if it is because Percy doesn't block as well or if the D doesn't fear the big play when they are both out there.

This shouldn't suprise anyone. Percy was gone from the day he got hurt. I am just glad GM did a good job of bluffing at least one team into thinking they actually were going to plan on him and get such a haul of picks. I would have been disapointed but I really thought we would get a 3rd and a 4th next year or something like that. Draft picks are to be coveted and to get 3 for somebody who was done here is a good thing. Now let's hit on 2 of the 3 and we will be in business.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No Wallace, but no way the Vikings would pay him what Miami did. Let's hope we can at least get Jennings. I've heard it's between us and GB so we'll see...
    I bent my wookie...

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the extra pick and cap space, they could tender Cruz an offer if they wanted to. I think I'd rather have Jennings and 2 first rounders (one of which could be used to get another wideout), but not bad.

Also, gotta say I'm a bit surprised by Winfield. Vikings really end up looking classless in that deal.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I too thought that the Winfield situation could have been handled a bit better, but as they say "business is business". Hopefully he can be brought back at a reduced salary (assuming the team still feels his skills are at a competitive level).
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Greg Jennings will be in town today for a visit. Normally when this happens the player is signed. Let's hope Jennings doesn't leave town without a contract.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My bro saw him and Cassle come out of an Olive Garden wearing Vikings hats....
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    My bro saw him and Cassle come out of an Olive Garden wearing Vikings hats....
    Keepin it classy

Blog Entries
    The Vikings managed to add another QB who sucks as much as Ponder: Matt Cassel.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    ESPN reporting that Greg Jennings is your newest Viking.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like the signing. Kind of wonder what they are going to do with those 2 first rounders. I figure at least one will be a wideout, which if that's the case, I almost wonder if they'd still go after Cruz. Cruz, Jennings, Wright, and Simpson would be a nice set of wideouts for Ponder to throw to.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Man was I happy to be wrong about Harvins value. Great haul!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Like the signing. Kind of wonder what they are going to do with those 2 first rounders. I figure at least one will be a wideout, which if that's the case, I almost wonder if they'd still go after Cruz. Cruz, Jennings, Wright, and Simpson would be a nice set of wideouts for Ponder to throw to.
    I doubt they have enough money to go get Cruz, I'd rather they just draft a WR in the first round and one later in the draft.

Blog Entries
    The Vikings would be better off signing Michael Turner in a backup role and the drafting defensively after the one WR pick in the first round. I am serious. Turner still has legitimate power as a back and would totally screw defenses up. The Wishbone could re-emerge. The Niners brought it back.

Backing up AP with Turner after the Jennings signing might be the best idea. Jennings, Rudolph, AP, and Turner means 4 legit players. Just sayin.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    I don't see why Turner would want to back up AP when he could get some possible starting gigs or at least 50/50 gigs. Also he is not going to be cheap, so paying a guy a bunch of money for 6-8 carries a game is not a good use of funds, besides Toby is a perfectly acceptable back up RB.

I think in the draft you go: WR, LB (teo?) in the first round and then try to find a CB, DT and more LB's the rest of the draft. Spend a 4th rounder or so on another WR as well.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I think it is 50% likely they go WR in round 1, but I can see them going CB/LB/ DT in some combo instead. They really, really, really need a starting LBer and CB, and probably another CB as a backup. They also need a DT, if they want the DTs to be good, instead of below average, but the DT position is deep, so I could see that in round 2.

Some place they also need to find an OG, and if they never take one early in the draft, they will always have guys like Johnson and Fusco (and Ponder getting crushed, and AP continuing to leading the league in hits behind the line ).

There are no shortage of holes. Frankly, I'd have cut KWill, and kept Winfield. DT is super deep in the draft, and easier to start as a rookie......so I can't quite get the decision.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I think it is 50% likely they go WR in round 1, but I can see them going CB/LB/ DT in some combo instead. They really, really, really need a starting LBer and CB, and probably another CB as a backup. They also need a DT, if they want the DTs to be good, instead of below average, but the DT position is deep, so I could see that in round 2.

Some place they also need to find an OG, and if they never take one early in the draft, they will always have guys like Johnson and Fusco (and Ponder getting crushed, and AP continuing to leading the league in hits behind the line ).

There are no shortage of holes. Frankly, I'd have cut KWill, and kept Winfield. DT is super deep in the draft, and easier to start as a rookie......so I can't quite get the decision.
    The decision is because Winfield was due to be paid way more than his market value, and he wasnt going to take less.
    The fun thing about the NFL, is with the hard cap, you cant just look at guys and say, "are they still good enough to start?", like you can in say, baseball.
    You really have to look at every single position, every single year, and say, "no matter how good this guy is, is he making a dime more than he's worth?"
    If the answer is yes, you either need to move on or restructure.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Agreed, but I think Winfield at CB is less overpaid than KWill at DT...and would have cut KWill first. They basically cannot sign another FA, keep their current players, and sign their draft picks at this point. So, either they are done in FA, or something else has to give......but to me, to get this point, KWill was more expendable than Winfield. Clearly, the vikings disagree with me, and that's cool.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Agreed, but I think Winfield at CB is less overpaid than KWill at DT...and would have cut KWill first. They basically cannot sign another FA, keep their current players, and sign their draft picks at this point. So, either they are done in FA, or something else has to give......but to me, to get this point, KWill was more expendable than Winfield. Clearly, the vikings disagree with me, and that's cool.
    I would disagree, but only because KWill is younger, and he's also at a position where older guys can still play at a high level.
    Obviously that hasnt been the case the last couple years, but the Vikings must feel that he has enough in the tank that he COULD live up to his salary this year, whereas they must feel that Winfield is at a point where 100% of expectation would still not be enough to justify the salary.
    I wouldnt be surprised if Winfield sees the offers that he's getting in FA (I think he's going to be surprised at how little he's offered), and ends up resigning with the Vikings anyways.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    I really hope if one of those stud MLBs is at 23 that they hop all over that. That should be priority number one - receivers you can take later. Especially in this draft.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast