Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Gomez gets gonzo cash

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts

Gomez gets gonzo cash

Who would have predicted $7MM per year for Carlos Gomez.....that wasn't an Onion article, right?

Next time someone says "name one FA that got better when he left....", this looks like one.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Who would have predicted $7MM per year for Carlos Gomez.....that wasn't an Onion article, right?

Next time someone says "name one FA that got better when he left....", this looks like one.
    He wasn't a FA when he left.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's gotten a little better, but his contract is primarily based on his defense which he was very good at when he was with the Twins. Offensively, he still barely had a .300 OBP last year. He'll hit some HR in Milwaukee, but this is the going rate for great defensive CF that can't hit much.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He's gotten a little better, but his contract is primarily based on his defense which he was very good at when he was with the Twins. Offensively, he still barely had a .300 OBP last year. He'll hit some HR in Milwaukee, but this is the going rate for great defensive CF that can't hit much.
    Seth, my initial inclination was to post pretty much what you did, but Go-Go had a marketable increase in Slugging%/HR this past year. While I certainly wouldn't use his trade as a knock against the Twins (still believe this was a very good trade IMO), there is some credence to him bringing value with his bat (ironically, his UZR and other defensive metrics seem to be declining). Admittedly, I don't follow the Brewers much. Thoughts?

His offense is good from a 7/8 hole hitter in a NL lineup as long as he's used in that way.

The issue of that trade was never Gomez. It was so quickly bailing on Hardy.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    I think there is still some upside with Gomez, people forget how young and raw he was when he was in the majors (Thanks to the stupid Mets) he will be 27 for the full 2013 season and his home run "spike" last year could indicate he is finally getting those man muscles. Also he had the most stolen bases of his career last year (37) and his SB/CS ratio was fantastic at 37/6.

He is never going to be a high avergae or high OBP guy, but if he keeps up his power you are looking at a guy who at least has an average overall bat. So you have very good speed, very good defense at a premium position and an average bat of a guy who is in the prime of his career. 4/28 has risk, but it could end up being a steal for the Brewers to be honest. If he can build on last years numbers it absolutely is a good deal for Milwaukee.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I agree with that, the trade made sense....the next step did not make sense.

Fine, not "name a free agent that left", but "name a player that left".

He hit well, actually, saying he's just a 7/8 hitter in the NL is way undervaluing his offense, imo. Not to mention the stolen bases and homeruns.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    His offense is good from a 7/8 hole hitter in a NL lineup as long as he's used in that way.

The issue of that trade was never Gomez. It was so quickly bailing on Hardy.
    I still have issues with that trade, I think they bailed on Gomez (23) way to early and basically traded him away at his absolute low point. Yeah, Hardy ended up playing well for us and we obviously should have kept him around, but keep in mind, Hardy most likely could have been had for ANYTHING at that point since he had already lost his job and spent a good chunk of the season in the minors.

I never understood why the hell they never sent Gomez to the minors to work on his swing.

Dude, he left when he was 23, it isn't some shocking revelation that he got better as he aged and got closer to his prime age.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
    I agree with that, the trade made sense....the next step did not make sense.

He hit well, actually, saying he's just a 7/8 hitter in the NL is way undervaluing his offense, imo. Not to mention the stolen bases and homeruns.....
    That's only true if he repeats last year. he's only hit >.700 OPS once. If he's closer to .240/.290/.420/.710 then he should stay in the 7 spot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He's gotten a little better, but his contract is primarily based on his defense
    And the Twins would pay $5.8 million for premium defense at a premium postion when it came to the man Gomez was traded for.

If Gomez repeats hist 2012 season there was a good chance he would have been able to get 40+ million on the open market. FACT

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even though he'd been with the big league club in his time here, I have always felt like it was trading a prospect when he was dealt. I assumed even at the time there was a good chance he'd get at least a little better, and possibly quite a bit, along with the chance that he wouldn't and would fizzle out (or bounce around as a bench player). I tend to keep at least a little bit of an eye on some former Twins, and each time I'd check his stats last year I'd have that, "Huh, Go-Go is having a pretty decent year!" reaction. Good for him. I always had a bit of a soft spot for him for some reason.

I can tell you he'd be the 8 guy on my favorite squad. With the low OBP (.305 even in his great season last year), he won't be near the top half of the order, so best spot would be 5 or 6 if he's not 7/8. With his combination of speed and that power, it'd be wise to put him 7th so he's not getting pitched around in the 8th spot and still is on base for the pitcher to move over with his speed. Gomez still never topped 500 PA in 2012 even with his production, so there's some legit concern about full-time play.