Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training - Game 23 - 3/23 - vs Tampa

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsRich View Post
    What is this? A backup catcher that can hit? I don't think I've ever seen that...
    I don't know that I wold say that Towles can hit... even Butera has a couple of big league HR...

Blog Entries
    Matt Maloney continues to impress with a 1-2-3 inning and a strikeout. Is he a legit bullpen option (SP turned BP, like Glen Perkins) or this year's version of Dusty Hughes (who was great last spring to 'earn' an Opening Day job)?

Blog Entries
    Mauer 1B, Morneau BB, Willingham 1B loads the bases. A Wild Pitch scores Mauer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going into the season last year, I think it was clear that Hughes was not a major league pitcher. He walked too many guys and gave up too many hits as a starter in the minors. Maloney's numbers are more encouraging (especially in terms of control). It may also be encouraging that Maloney's name also made the BBA reds top 10 prospect list twice. I did not find Hughes on a Royals list. I think the Twins should have known that Hughes was not a solution.

Blog Entries
    JR Towles with a double off the top of the LF wall... Luke Hughes backs it up with another double.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting Maloney trivia...

Traded to Reds for former Twin Kyle Lohse. He also made an appearance on a Phillie top 10 list.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perkins is warming up in the pen.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

Drew Butera has done nothing for two seasons now! Pick you poison. Remember when you said Butera was not a problem as a backup catcher because he would only get 50-75 at bats in a season. He tripled that last year and was terrible. Time for a change. Parmelee means no Butera!!

Blog Entries
    Justin Morneau with a 3-run blast to give the Twins 10 runs off of Jeremy Hellickson. It's his second home run of the day, and after the double yesterday, it's fair to say that it is at least encouraging!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Seth, Drew Butera has done nothing for two seasons now! Pick you poison. Remember when you said Butera was not a problem as a backup catcher because he would only get 50-75 at bats in a season. He tripled that last year and was terrible. Time for a change. Parmelee means no Butera!!
    I would agree that a backup catcher should have less than 100 at bats, as Butera did in 2010. When he got 400 plate appearances, obviously his offense matters. But I'll stand by my thoughts that if a backup catcher gets less than 100 at bats, the effect is pretty minimal. And, the hope for 2012 would be the Butera, Towles, Rivera, whoever the THIRD catcher is would also get less than 100 plate appearances in the season... which is why of course I agree (and have written, mind you) that I think the idea of the third catcher is ridiculous. My point on Parmelee is that I'm fine with him being up as long as he's playing pretty much every day.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

I agree Parmelee needs to play everyday. I would leave Morneau at DH after a performance like today. Don't mess with success.

Blog Entries
    Uggh, why would they put Benson in LF and Revere in RF?!!? (except that maybe Willingham is now a LF and Revere is now a 4th OF?)

Blog Entries
    Parmelee continues to make Ryan's and Gardy's decision to keep him around tougher... or easier? HR off a tough lefty in Jake McGee...

Now Luke Hughes hits another one.

Blog Entries
    Speaking of making decisions easier for Ryan/Gardenhire... see Burnett, Alex.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Great day for Morneau. Nicely done Towles/Parmlelee, Hughes.

It would mean a lot to the bullpen to have a couple of bodies that can give them 2 innings in a game. Looks like Maloney may be one of those.

Cannot imagine them breaking camp w/o that guy.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think that Maloney has earned the long relief job. It'd be nice to find another 2-3 inning guy out of the bullpen.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Maloney

11.1IP 5H/2BB/14 Ks

No way guys like Burnett/Manship make it ahead of him.

Blog Entries
    Luke Hughes just hit a ground-rule double... he's now 5-5 with 2-doubles, a home run and five RBI. I think he's going to be on the roster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Maloney

11.1IP 5H/2BB/14 Ks

No way guys like Burnett/Manship make it ahead of him.
    They won't... Maloney's already a given. It's Burnett, Manship, Burton and Waldrop for the final two spots.

Sure is hard to judge these pitchers like Fein who only pitch in the late innings of ST games where everybody swings at the first pitch to get it over with.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast