Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial Off-field Injury tracker thread

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries

The unofficial Off-field Injury tracker thread

I think we've seen enough freak injuries to baseball players over the past year, to start keeping track. First up is Mark Rzepczynski's eye bruise from March 8

On his second shot on the first hole of a round of golf, Rzepczynski attempted to punch shot around a tree. He made the shot and collapsed, his eye struck and bruised by something. The golf ball traveled far enough that he is unsure how it could ricochet off the tree and his eye and still carry into the fairway.
    Cardinals lefty Rzepczynski injures eye in golf outing : Sports

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
    Hehe, there's a Polish joke in there somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Arizona right-hander Ian Kennedy will miss his next start after cutting his right index finger while doing the dishes this week.

Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said Kennedy cut his finger a couple of days ago and threw a bullpen session on Saturday with a Band-Aid on it. He said the Diamondbacks considered several options that might allow Kennedy to pitch on Monday, including glue, but the team decided not to interfere with the healing process.
    Ian Kennedy of Arizona Diamondbacks will miss next start after cutting finger while doing dishes - ESPN

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
    You can't make up some of the absurd off the field injuries that baseball players manage to inflict on themselves.
    Here are some of my favorites:
    Terry Mullholland scratched his eye sleeping on a feather pillow. (The feather poked through).
    Sammy Sosa strained his back with a "violent" sneeze!

Bret Barberie rubbed chili sauce in his eye.

(Not an injury but hilarious) Ray Quinones was unavailable to pinch hit because he was in the clubhouse playing Nintendo.

Greg Harris strained his elbow flipping sunflower seeds in the bullpen.

Of course, Marty Cordova burning his face in a tanning booth.

Steve Sparks dislocated his shoulder attempting to tear a phone book in half.

Jose Cardenal missed a game because he was up all night due to crickets chirping in his hotel room.

Glenallen Hill fell out of bed during a nightmare in which he was covered in spiders, falling through a glass table, suffering multiple cuts.

Rich Harden strained his shoulder turning off his alarm clock.

Carlos Perez tried to "race" the team bus, causing an accident in which he broke his nose.

John Smoltz and Lew Ford both injured themselves trying to iron a shirt they were wearing.

Oddibe McDowell sliced his hand buttering a dinner roll.

Nolan Ryan was bitten by a coyote. (Why does this one not surprise me at all?)

Terry Harper injured his shoulder high fiving a teammate. (Anyone remember who the teammate was?)

Vince Coleman being rolled up in the automatic tarp machine at Busch Stadium, LOL.

David Cone was bitten by a Jack Russell Terrier.

5. These 2 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-27-2013), Willihammer (01-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
    Those are good- I remember the Glenallen Hill story. He was seriously hurt.

There was also a St Louis Cardinal pitcher who was out for a while with a broken hand. He claimed it was from falling, then bragged that he'd actually hurt himself punching out his sister's husband.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Marty Cordova's was up there...missed a game as a result of severe burns to his face from a tanning lamp.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,213 Times in 723 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Sammy Sosa strained his back with a "violent" sneeze!
    I did that once. Was walking down the street, sneezed, and instantly felt something bad in the lower/sacroiliac area - took a week until I could walk without a limp. Now when I feel a sneeze coming on, I stop. Talk about "can't walk and chew gum at the same time"!

In Dick Allen's book he described a career-threatening cut to his hand from pushing a disabled car and putting his hand through the headlight. Smart.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-31-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Not to be a 1-upper but... deer hunting, 2002 I think. Bundled up, cold outside. Sat in my stand for an hour or better. Starting to get numb. Then I hear something to my 6 o'clock. Slowly turn my head, then the noise stops, so I freeze. Strain my EYE trying to see what the hell was over there (squirrel).
    Last edited by Willihammer; 05-31-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,213 Times in 723 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Strain my EYE trying to see what the hell was over there (squirrel).
    How long were you on the DL?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    After how many weeks of rest and rehab?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 225 Posts
    Throw in the Jeff Kent "falling off his truck while washing it" story as cover for his motorcycle accident.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I was convinced at the time that I pulled some little muscle in there but you know, sometimes in a man's life you have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and play through the pain - cough cough Mauer cough.

Blog Entries
    Kohl Stewart out 10 days after cutting his foot walking on a Florida beach

Notebook: Willingham headed out on rehab stint, could return next week - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

First-round pick Kohl Stewart hasn't pitched for the GCL Twins since July 22, which Ryan attributed to a beach mishap. Stewart was walking around on a Fort Myers beach Sunday, Ryan said, when he cut the bottom of his foot on a shell or some sharp object. Club doctors didn't feel it was severe enough to warrant stitching -- due to worry about infection, as well -- but Ryan also said there was worry that if Stewart pitched in the interim, it might affect his motion, hence the shutdown.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear baseball players are mere mortals and have 'epic fails' like we do.

Football, on the other hand... you never hear about these injuries. More like players tearing their knees apart, getting their back broken until almost paralyzed, and a certain player dying in the heat of training camp.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts
    Of course another one was Joel Zumaya and Guitar Hero... the fireballer was going a little too hard and strained his wrist, missing the ALCS in 06
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Not a player, but Brian Cashman broke his leg while skydiving.

Jason Stark tracks these every year during spring training. A number of them he mentions were already listed above. Dont know if you have to be an insider to read them, but they are worth a read.

Blog Entries
    Apparently that’s what happened to Phillies single-A third-base prospect Mitch Walding on Sunday. Per Jay Floyd of the blogPhillies Nation (hat tip Deadspin), Walding was having a nice sit in the clubhouse when some jerk manager presumably told him to go field some ground balls or something, and next thing you know, there goes a rib.

To be fair: A stress fracture was already in the rib. Getting off the couch simply finished the job.
    Phillies Minor-Leaguer Breaks Rib. Getting Up From Couch. | The Philly Post

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not news, but this thread needs to include mention of Anthony Swarzak's fractured ribs from "horseplay" with teammates at TwinsFest.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_2253316...tures-two-ribs

22. This user likes Wookiee of the Year's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (01-02-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast