Thread: What about Ryan Theriot?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

What about Ryan Theriot?

Manager Ron Gardenhire announced 2/3 of his starting outfield this morning. There appears to be only a couple decisions left to be made regarding the bullpen and utilty infielder positions. Revere and Plouffe will platoon in right field with Doumit and possibly Parmelee sprinkled in, to put any questions about the outfield to rest. I believe Burton and Maloney are locks to make the roster and most likely Kyle Waldrop. I would be absolutely shocked if Manship or Burnett slid into the last bullpen spot. This leaves the infielder position as a big question mark. It was announced last week by Gardenhhire that Brian Dozier will start the season in Rochester to end any speculation of him being the starting shortstop on opening day. This leaves a huge hole for the club to fill at shortstop because nobody else can really play the position other than Carroll and Casilla. Pedro Floriman would be a perfect candidate but he has struggled so much at the plate he makes Nick Punto look like a batting champ. My guess is the Twins need to go out and trade for a utlity player or pick somebody up off waivers. A good player to look at might be Ryan Theriot. The Riot as he was referred to in Chicago, can play solid defense at both positions (SS and 2B) and can hit. Theriot hit .271/.321/.342 in 442 at bats with the Cardinals last year and is only 31 years old. He is also a good clubhouse guy and could provide veteran leadership to younger players. However, Theriot might be released this week by the Giants and the Twins could get him for next to nothing. Please tell me what you think the Twins should do.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 03-25-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm neutral on Theriot. I'd prefer someone with some offensive weapon, like occasional power or a decent OBP, but I don't care much. His UZR makes him look like he's a very good second baseman, but a poor shortstop, whihc isn't ideal for the Twins.

But what I'm really wondering is whether a utility infielder fits onto this roster if Parmelee comes north. Presumably, Opening Day 1-9 might look like this:

Morneau, Mauer, Parmelee, Casilla, Carroll, Valencia, Willingham, Span, Doumit.

That leaves four bench spots: other catcher, Hughes, Plouffe & Revere.

I don't see room for Theriot unless Hughes is out. I think Revere has to make the team, because he's the only backup CFer. (I suppose one could got with Mastroianni, but either way, the roster spot is gone.)

Hughes

I think the Twins should either make Casilla or Carroll their utility guy and make Luke Hughes their staring 2nd baseman.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    John,

If Chris Parmelee makes the roster there is no way a third catcher does. Ryan Doumit would see much more time behind the plate to keep his bat in the lineup. So this makes the utilty infielder position open for Theriot.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 03-25-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sprtsgam3,

I would love for Luke Hughes to be the starting second baseman on opening day for the Twins, but it won't happen. Hughes has struggled to stay healthy recently and you have to wonder how well he would hold up playing 140 games a year in the majors.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see Theriot offering anything they don't already have internally. Hughes, Casilla and Carroll will handle the middle infield in some combination or another depending on who's performing well at any given time. Why would you need another utility IF? In an emergency, such as an injury, Plouffe can fill in while someone flies in from Rochester. Why would you want to give up any minor league talent of value for a guy who would just duplicate what you already have?
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

I have to agree that if the Twins take Parmalee north, their won't be a need for a 3rd catcher, and it opens a spot for utility guy. Theriot is a better player than the current internal choices, but I'm not sure the Twins have interest. He was available for just over a million this off-season and the Twins ignored him then. If they take Parmalee north, then a guy like Florimon also might not be the worst choice. The Twins will have choices to pinch hit for Casilla or Carroll and also leave themselves with a defensive replacement in that case.