Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubby Out

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Tubby Out

Tubby Smith out at Minnesota - CBSSports.com

Shaka Smart? Flip? Who's it going to be?
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    That would be a terrible move for Shaka to make.

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Not surprising to see Tubby fired. Sad, but not surprising, and a move that had to be made, IMO. Personally, if I saw one more botched inbounds play, or watched another Rodney Williams stand on the wing, 30 ft from the basket, with his feet glued to the floor looking to get rid of the ball because he's terrified of making a mistake, I might have poked my eyes out. I will say, it seems like the U could have handled this better...I realize this is a twitter world we live in, but jeez, couldn't you have kept this under wraps until you've told the man face to face?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, with a year left on Glen Mason's contract, the Gophers gave him a four-year extension. And then fired him after that year anyway.

With two years left on Tim Brewster's contract, they gave him a two-year extension (although they lowered the buyout). Then they fired him 7 games later.

With two years left on Tubby Smith's contract, they gave him a three-year extension, including a raise and an increased buyout amount. Then they fired him after the next season.

(I think they extended Dan Monson at some point too -- they had to pay him a considerable buyout upon dismissal.)

At least they had the good sense to give Jerry Kill an ~8 year contract, to delay the inevitable extend-then-fire process.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Flip would be the obvious choice (as well as the one that would create the most media frenzy). Thing is, would he be any better than Tubby in the long run?
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Good post about the extensions spy, that is maybe the most ridiculous angle of this.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    With two years left on Tubby Smith's contract, they gave him a three-year extension, including a raise and an increased buyout amount. Then they fired him after the next season.
    This is actually not completely true. The extension Tubby signed gave him more incentive pay (for each round of the NCAA that he reached), but it dropped his buyout from $3m to $2.5m.

It was time for him to go. Good man and the program is in better shape than we he came six years ago, but it was stagnant at best and probably headed for a slide in the next couple of years. Now we get to see what Teague is made of.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    This is actually not completely true. The extension Tubby signed gave him more incentive pay (for each round of the NCAA that he reached), but it dropped his buyout from $3m to $2.5m.
    What's your source on that? Everything I read says Tubby's extension increased the buyout from $1.5 to $2.5 mil:

Tubby Smith contract extension with Gophers includes $2.5M buyout max - ESPN

Tubby Smith extension details: Salary goes up, buyout goes up, will review at the end of season. | StarTribune.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    I got it off the radio but I won't argue with your links. That is a fiasco.
    Papers...business papers.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Jesus....I didn't think it was that bad. What did Tubby have on the gopher administration? Anything short of nude photos just wouldn't explain that kind of extortion.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Definitely time for Tubby to go, his recruiting has always been spotty at best but in his defense, it's going to continue to be a tough grind until a practice facility gets built for his successor.

The team underachieved last year and particularly this year with Mbakwe back for a 6th year. No leadership, lack of discipline on the court, terrible use of his bench for most of the season and seemingly a real inability to get his teams to adjust when faced with difficult situations.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Jesus....I didn't think it was that bad. What did Tubby have on the gopher administration? Anything short of nude photos just wouldn't explain that kind of extortion.
    No extortion necessary, just Joel Maturi as an AD, one of many financial fiascos.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    You should back up a dump truck full of cash to Shaka Smart's house.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,945 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Not to derail this thread but with the U of MN out, anyone pulling for any particular team? It was exciting to be in Ft. Myers and have the FGCU Eagles do so amazing ... what a fun team to watch!

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    No extortion necessary, just Joel Maturi as an AD, one of many financial fiascos.
    Actually, this extension was Norwood Teague's doing. (Although I suspect it was partially influenced by the AD change, with the new AD using the extension as a vote of confidence for Tubby. Not sure what good a vote of confidence is when you don't have confidence, though.)

Going into the last year of a coach's contract has been off-limits for awhile now -- remember the kerfuffle around Glen Mason with one year to go? And that was for a non-elite coach/program. The coach and their staff always need security beyond one year.

What's interesting is that anticipating the above effect, going into the last two years of a coach's contract is now almost unthinkable. Brewster got a token extension at that point, and Tubby got his big extension with two years left too.

I expect that any day now, Jerry Kill will require an extension beyond the five years remaining on his deal.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I expect that any day now, Jerry Kill will require an extension beyond the five years remaining on his deal.
    And he would deserve every single penny of it.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    And he would deserve every single penny of it.
    For what? 6-7 (2-6 in the Big Ten) and an appearance in the Meineke Car Care Bowl?
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    I just hope one day they can be on the same level as the mighty powerhouse that is North Carolina Football.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musk21 View Post
    For what? 6-7 (2-6 in the Big Ten) and an appearance in the Meineke Car Care Bowl?
    He's still using Brewster players. MarQueis Gray was Brewster's big time recruit in his time.

For what Kill has brought to the program, I'll take last season as he's continuing to build the team. I am extremely happy with what he's brought to the program, especially in the crappy shape it was left.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    He's still using Brewster players. MarQueis Gray was Brewster's big time recruit in his time.

For what Kill has brought to the program, I'll take last season as he's continuing to build the team. I am extremely happy with what he's brought to the program, especially in the crappy shape it was left.
    Maybe so, but it seems to be in the same position it was in '08 and '09. After a disastrous '07 under Brewster using Mason's players, the Gophers were 7-6 (3-5) and 6-7 (3-5) in '08 & '09 with berths in the Insight Bowl.

Hope you're right...But when your only Big Ten wins are against Purdue and Illinois and your 2013 recruiting class ranks last for the 2nd straight year, color me unimpressed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast