Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marriage Equality Day

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longdistancetwins View Post
    who use the word "bigotry" to refer to those who oppose same-sex marriage..
    By all means, describe why you're opposed to gay marriage. If it doesn't fit definitionally, I'll happily retract.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    (Don't call me "brother" back because I am a girl).
    What you want to be treated as valuable and acknowledged for having a unique point of view and social experience? How unreasonable. Hot damn, that's moral irony right there folks.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "You people" is referring to all advocates of gay rights, including the New York Times and many other so-called respectable media outlets, as well as people on Twins Daily, who use the word "bigotry" to refer to those who oppose same-sex marriage. So, we have nothing more to talk about--except the Twins, brother. (Don't call me "brother" back because I am a girl).
    For me the bottom line is that our system confers huge benefits to married people -- including tax benefits, inheritance rights and rights to social security survivor benefits.

Do you believe that gay couples should not be able to get all of the same benefits as heterosexual couples? If not, then why?

My sense is that ultimately all the arguments against gay marriage have a religious/cultural basis. That's not new. The arguments in favor of slavery and against female voting were very similar. The Bible talks about putting men to death for homosexuality, and it also has passages supporting slavery and women not having equal rights.

Sadly, my experience has been that most people never sit down and actually read the Bible. My experience has been that there is a lot of value there, but also a lot that makes little sense, including the concept of putting people to death because they are homosexuals. Unless we want to trample on people's first amendment rights to be free from other people's religions, it seems to me that government policies should be based on religiously neutral principles.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Good post Glunn. The unfortunate reality is that strong religious faith can come with negativity as well if not fully considered. I know there are many people of many faiths who refuse to allow any person or book to allow them down the path of prejudice. But the reality is there a very significant population who do allow themselves to have bigoted feelings in the name of religion. I've yet to meet someone who, when pressed, can oppose gay marriage on any coherent, factual arguments. Unfortunately that only leaves prejudice left.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Good post Glunn. The unfortunate reality is that strong religious faith can come with negativity as well if not fully considered. I know there are many people of many faiths who refuse to allow any person or book to allow them down the path of prejudice. But the reality is there a very significant population who do allow themselves to have bigoted feelings in the name of religion. I've yet to meet someone who, when pressed, can oppose gay marriage on any coherent, factual arguments. Unfortunately that only leaves prejudice left.
    Precisely. Especially your last two sentences.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    It's also worth pointing out that not all religions oppose gay marriage. When I was doing legal work in PA, the local Quaker and Mennonite Churches recognized same sex marriages and it was the government that didn't recognize them.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 492 Posts
    Frankly, I just don't understand those who claim what they do in the name of religious principle, then turn around and use that as a cover for nothing more than hate. For me, treating others as you would have them treat you is nothing more than a standard for equality. But for those who claim to be guided by religious principles, I guess the Golden Rule applies only to those who are what you think they should be and not who they are.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    This thread is full of outrageous claims and lies, we all know there are no girls on the internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12