Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game of Thrones

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Yeah its tough to shake an actors' face and voice once you've seen it. The actress who plays Cersei especially, she just does not deliver with nearly as much venom or impact as I'd imagined her. Nothing worse than a weak villain IMHO.
    I think Lena Headey is awesome in the role. She has a restrained coldness that I think fits the character nicely.

After all, the character isn't necessarily evil, only self-serving.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Yeah, I love how Cersei is portrayed. I think sometimes it's too easy to make a character campy or too over the top, her cold indifference is really well acted.

As for last night, the slow build to that gutting of the moral core of the show was brilliantly done.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
    The Starks seem so gun-ho through the entire affair, that they didn't even consider betrayal; I kept waiting for it, yes, until the point that I no longer thought it would happen. What was surprising was the casual brutality of the Freys.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 06-03-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I was more surprised by the casual brutality of Bolton. He's been presented, thus far, as a mostly loyal, ho-hum character. I mean, he let Jaime go secretly and that was a bit alarming, but he's hardly been portrayed as a ruthless turncoat waiting to happen. Frey has always been shown, at least to some degree, as a tentative/undesirable alliance.

I read in a review that the salt and bread thing was highlighted early in the episode because that was an ancient Westeros tradition meant to ensure safety against betrayl. So not only did Bolton and Frey betray them, they basically took a big steaming dump all over some very engrained traditions in doing so. I love the nuance and the brutality of it even more on the second viewing.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, the books mention the bread and salt thing a few times.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    The interwebs are apparently a mess over the Red Wedding. For me, that is one of the high points of the books. Everything leading up to it is so well written. Maybe I'm nostalgic or something, but I really love this whole section of the books in and around Book 3.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I was more surprised by the casual brutality of Bolton. He's been presented, thus far, as a mostly loyal, ho-hum character. I mean, he let Jaime go secretly and that was a bit alarming, but he's hardly been portrayed as a ruthless turncoat waiting to happen. Frey has always been shown, at least to some degree, as a tentative/undesirable alliance.

I read in a review that the salt and bread thing was highlighted early in the episode because that was an ancient Westeros tradition meant to ensure safety against betrayl. So not only did Bolton and Frey betray them, they basically took a big steaming dump all over some very engrained traditions in doing so. I love the nuance and the brutality of it even more on the second viewing.
    I know this thread is a bit old, but when a house takes people under their care and protection in their own house and then to betray that oath with murder is one of the most grave sins you can commit in the Game of Thrones universe. The North does not forget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12