Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins to roll with Vance Worley for Opener

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have this feeling there would be a heavy trail of flop-sweat leading from the warmup mound to the pitching mound, regardless of which man they chose for this duty.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    flop-sweat?

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How I feel about Worley being the opening day starter is how I feel about 90% of Gardy's managerial moves. It's wrong. So who would I go with? I have no idea. I wouldn't take Gardy's job even with the obscene salary. Not even paying me millions of dollars would make me willing to deal with this rotation, do you think I'm gonna go spend money to watch them? LOL...People may think I'm just talking trash but I'm dead serious and that's funny to me. LOL

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice touch with the TBD graphic. No longer an April Fools Day joke.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    If Gardy loses his job after this year, I can't help but feel bad for him.
    It's not really that I think he's a great manager or anything, I'm kind of neutral on that subject. I think he's a very capable manager, but I don't think he's a great manager.
    But, the rosters he's been handed the last 2 years are garbage, and I really don't understand how any kind of progress can be expected from his squad this year.
    I like the pieces we have for 2015 and beyond, but I fail to see how we've improved as a whole for 2013.
    I see places we've improved, but I see other places we've gotten worse.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    At least most fans won't be to disappointed if we falter again this year, with this team. If we could win 75 games, most would be pleasantly surprised. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. And I'll be somewhat pleased if I can stand to watch past the 5th inning more often this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People seem pretty down on Worley. Of all the starters acquired this off-season, I am most excited to watch Worley pitch. His 2011 season was really good and he's only 25. He had a rough Spring, but still has a lot of promise. I think he's absolutely the Twins' best healthy starter and therefore he should start Opening Day.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    People seem pretty down on Worley. Of all the starters acquired this off-season, I am most excited to watch Worley pitch. His 2011 season was really good and he's only 25. He had a rough Spring, but still has a lot of promise. I think he's absolutely the Twins' best healthy starter and therefore he should start Opening Day.
    For me, (and I'm not even "down" on him, more "not sold on him") I just get a little nervous that there is a reason why Philly was so quick to give up on him so soon.
    The Phillies are not a small market team, they could have signed Michael Bourn and gotten a rich man's Revere without giving up anything more than money, which is not an issue for them.
    When I look at Worley's 2011 season, I see a fair amount of good luck in those numbers (and to be fair, I also see a fair amount of bad luck in his 2012 numbers).
    All in all, I just don't think we know enough about him to really know what to expect, and like I said before, it makes me a little nervous that the Phillies were so quick to give up on him, especially when they have Halladay and Lee nearing the twighlight of their careers.

That said, I was excited when I heard his name in the trade, and I still am. I just think it's perfectly reasonable to have a healthy amount of doubt about him until we see how the season goes.

Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    How I feel about Worley being the opening day starter is how I feel about 90% of Gardy's managerial moves. It's wrong. So who would I go with? I have no idea. I wouldn't take Gardy's job even with the obscene salary. Not even paying me millions of dollars would make me willing to deal with this rotation, do you think I'm gonna go spend money to watch them? LOL...People may think I'm just talking trash but I'm dead serious and that's funny to me. LOL
    Ha, you're dead wrong. Worley gives the Twins the best chance to compete on day 1. Name me the better option. If/when Gardy doesn't get retained past this season he'll be out of work for maybe 5 minutes. This staff is a joke and the bullpen is even more questionable. The lineup on the other hand has the potential to exceed expectations which makes the pitching staff even that much more of a glaring weakness. I'll chalk it up as a lack of top flight free agent starting pitching and TR's goal to build for the future. We may be down for now but the future is bright and I can't wait to watch the progress of our top prospects as they make their way to Mpls. We've got another top of the rotation type pitcher coming in this summer's draft which should round out our 2014/2015 rotation and the bats to back them up.

Hey AL Central, objects in your mirror are closer than they appear! We're coming!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley is the best we have for opening day at this time. I will be cheering for him and the Twins.
    Would I rather have Verlander, Halladay or Lee pitching for us? Yes.
    We don't.
    This is a rebuilding year. I expect Worley to be part of a rotation that includes some combination of Hendrix, De Vries, Gibson, May, Myers and Deduno soon.

We can deal with it and hope for the best, or we can whine.

As I told my grand-niece when we took her in, "There is no whining in Minnesota".

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not all that much choice. My main concern with Worley is that he'll feel too much pressure to be our ace. We don't have an ace. It's not our year for an ace. It's not our year to take on Detroit. I'm okay with that. We just need him to go out and do his job, be competitive and enjoy developing with some of the other younger arms. Even the worst day of major league baseball has got to be better than the best days at 90+% of other jobs.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big City View Post
    We've got another top of the rotation type pitcher coming in this summer's draft which should round out our 2014/2015 rotation and the bats to back them up.
    That's assuming the Twins don't decide to go and select all "toolsy" again, especially if they think they can't sign your top of the rotation type at slot value.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley is the best non-Diamond, non-Gibson starter around the organization right now.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I knew that once Diamond wasn't going to be able to start for the opener that it would be Worley. He's the most talented pitcher on roster besides Diamond. He had a rough spring but I 'm still excited to see what he can do. I think he could be pretty good for the Twins this year. So, I agree with Worley getting the start. Besides, who else would you start?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    For me, (and I'm not even "down" on him, more "not sold on him") I just get a little nervous that there is a reason why Philly was so quick to give up on him so soon.
    The Phillies are not a small market team, they could have signed Michael Bourn and gotten a rich man's Revere without giving up anything more than money, which is not an issue for them.
    When I look at Worley's 2011 season, I see a fair amount of good luck in those numbers (and to be fair, I also see a fair amount of bad luck in his 2012 numbers).
    All in all, I just don't think we know enough about him to really know what to expect, and like I said before, it makes me a little nervous that the Phillies were so quick to give up on him, especially when they have Halladay and Lee nearing the twighlight of their careers.

That said, I was excited when I heard his name in the trade, and I still am. I just think it's perfectly reasonable to have a healthy amount of doubt about him until we see how the season goes.
    Phillies are about a 150 million payroll. Next year they have 7 players taking 125 million. If they were not concerned about money they might have signed Bourn. They might have seen something in his game while they played against Atlanta to think that he is an overly expensive Ben Revere. In their view Worley might not have been a long term front end starter. They have plenty coming to deal with the long term. The next few years they have the big three locked up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Phillies are about a 150 million payroll. Next year they have 7 players taking 125 million. If they were not concerned about money they might have signed Bourn. They might have seen something in his game while they played against Atlanta to think that he is an overly expensive Ben Revere. In their view Worley might not have been a long term front end starter. They have plenty coming to deal with the long term. The next few years they have the big three locked up.
    Not sure about that. Biddle is probably a #2 at best, Martin has a great fastball, but seems destined for the bullpen, and Pettitbone is a middle of the rotation guy.

You are right, perhaps they saw something with Bourn that makes them think he is overrated, but if they think he's better I don't think money is an issue.
    Roy Halladay's 2014 option is almost surely not going to vest, and they have Utley and Michael Young coming off the books after this year.

I guess what I'm saying is obviously there is no way to know if they saw something in Worley that they didn't like, but to me its enough to raise at least a little bit of a red flag. I don't think it can just be dismissed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    'We've got another top of the rotation type pitcher coming in this summer's draft which should round out our 2014/2015 rotation...'

I wouldn't bet any money on that...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If Worley can keep his weight under control, he's likely our best pitcher right now...he's got better stuff than Diamond.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    If Worley can keep his weight under control, he's likely our best pitcher right now...he's got better stuff than Diamond.
    Yeah, I think he does have better stuff than Diamond. That's why I'm intrigued by him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast