Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mauer in Two-Hole

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,300 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    There's another subtext which seems to be saying that no praise for a 5 IP, 5 H, 1 BB, 1 K line is equivalent to complaining,
    I don't know if you mean my post in particular, but I was more motivated by a perceived double standard. I doubt if such a pitching line would have drawn no comment had it been Deduno's name beside it, or Gibson's. Or Slama's.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do hope this is hte lineup going forward (though with Dozier hitting in place of Escobar). I could see some swapping around guys if Morneau and Parmalee get off to hot starts, but beyond that, I like it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    That being said, I like to get my complaining in ahead of time!
    Right, and I have no sympathy for second-guessers and bandwagon-hoppers. If Correia goes 16-9 with a 3.50 ERA there will be plenty of people saying they knew it all the time. Not me; I'll tip my cap to Ryan for spotting a pony in the pile that I missed. And if instead his photo wearing a Twins cap goes into the dictionary beside the word "mediocre", then we can ask Ryan to give several of us props.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I don't know if you mean my post in particular, but I was more motivated by a perceived double standard. I doubt if such a pitching line would have drawn no comment had it been Deduno's name beside it, or Gibson's. Or Slama's.
    It was vintage Correia though. You can almost roll a die and fill in the H and R in any given boxscore. He's a low walk, low strikeout, PTC guy and that's what he did yesterday. I don't know how much commentary can be made. If Deduno had done it, people would comment how un-Deduno like it was. If Gibson did it, people would probably wonder where his strikeouts went while praising him for finding the strikezone. It would be much more comment-worthy if it came from one of those guys, that's why you would see more comments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I don't know how much commentary can be made.
    A lot less than I wound up getting, and I wasn't even trolling, honest.

/ except the part about Slama
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 03-29-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Liked 1,216 Times in 552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Right, and I have no sympathy for second-guessers and bandwagon-hoppers. If Correia goes 16-9 with a 3.50 ERA there will be plenty of people saying they knew it all the time. Not me; I'll tip my cap to Ryan for spotting a pony in the pile that I missed. And if instead his photo wearing a Twins cap goes into the dictionary beside the word "mediocre", then we can ask Ryan to give several of us props.
    If Correia's photo ends up in the dictionary beside the word "mediocre," I'll jump for joy. That's his extreme upside.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To get this thread back to who hits second, the Twins posted their projected starting lineup for Monday's opener on their website.

Mauer batting 3rd, folks, with Dozier 2nd.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Sorry to hijack this thread further, but I had to respond to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Some folks have been and continue to be quite up front and open about their hope for failure for certain people to "prove their point." Others you can find it in nuance and subtext. But there are certainly a fair amount of instances where their honest answer to your question could only be a resounding "No."
    I would absolutely love to see Correia prove me wrong. I want to look like an idiot after he wins 15 games with a sub-4 ERA. Just about anyone here would feel the same.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Some folks have been and continue to be quite up front and open about their hope for failure for certain people to "prove their point." Others you can find it in nuance and subtext. But there are certainly a fair amount of instances where their honest answer to your question could only be a resounding "No."
    It's sometimes frustrating when people translate statistical analysis into emotional cynicism. I'm not saying that fans shouldn't be realistic or critical about moves they don't like. I just enjoy a bit of HOPE mixed in with projected wOBA and FIP.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    To get this thread back to who hits second, the Twins posted their projected starting lineup for Monday's opener on their website.

Mauer batting 3rd, folks, with Dozier 2nd.
    I saw that, but that isn't the Twins org. (Gardy) posting that. It's a projection by whoever was charged with doing it for the Twins MLB site.

There's still hope.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post

Mauer batting 3rd, folks...
    As he should be

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread further, but I had to respond to this.

I would absolutely love to see Correia prove me wrong. I want to look like an idiot after he wins 15 games with a sub-4 ERA. Just about anyone here would feel the same.
    Aren't wins a team stat irrelevantt to the pitcher's actual performance? Just kidding with you.
    Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes were the only two pitchers last year to have 15 wins or more and an ERA over 4. There were a lot of pitchers with more than 25 starts, sub 4 ERA that did not make 15 wins.
    Last edited by old nurse; 03-29-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thirty-something posts and not a single "two-hole" joke?

You're all letting me down. Come on.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

And risk getting banned by the moderator?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

We were trying to be respectful of your mother. Hey-ooo!

(Okay, I'm sure she's a lovely woman.)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    As he should be (in reference to Mauer batting third)
    umm, why not put him in the 2 hole? He's an OBP machine (aka best in the league) and has less power than Morneau, and Hammer. Why put some bum who is going to hit .240 in the two hole just because he is some small dude that plays middle infield and might be able to steal a base if he somehow finds his way to first base? Also leads to more at bats for Mauer over the course of the season (possibly, not a huge issue). It just shifts all the best hitters forward one spot and prevents them from having to hit behind a crappy hitter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    umm, why not put him in the 2 hole? He's an OBP machine (aka best in the league) and has less power than Morneau, and Hammer. Why put some bum who is going to hit .240 in the two hole just because he is some small dude that plays middle infield and might be able to steal a base if he somehow finds his way to first base? Also leads to more at bats for Mauer over the course of the season (possibly, not a huge issue). It just shifts all the best hitters forward one spot and prevents them from having to hit behind a crappy hitter.

Because he hits exceptionally well with RISP (better than anyone else on the team) and I'd rather not have him bunting someone over or sacrificing himself to move the guy to third base.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Because he hits exceptionally well with RISP (better than anyone else on the team) and I'd rather not have him bunting someone over or sacrificing himself to move the guy to third base.
    Is there a rule that the #2 guy HAS to bunt and sacrifice?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Is there a rule that the #2 guy HAS to bunt and sacrifice?
    Right. There's actually something really cool about Hicks getting on and then Mauer working a walk. Suddenly, Morneau or Willingham is batting with two on, no outs, and a speedster at 2nd. That's a good thing guys.

Something else to consider: since Mauer is a high-walk guy, sacrificing the runner over in the at bat before is somewhat mitigated.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Aren't wins a team stat irrelevantt to the pitcher's actual performance? Just kidding with you.
    Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes were the only two pitchers last year to have 15 wins or more and an ERA over 4. There were a lot of pitchers with more than 25 starts, sub 4 ERA that did not make 15 wins.
    Ha, thanks for correcting that. But if he got 15 wins, that would probably mean the team is really good!

I would absolutely love to see Mauer in the two-hole. He's absolutely perfect for that role. After two terrible seasons, maybe Gardy will be willing to change his strategery.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast