Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mauer in Two-Hole

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mauer in Two-Hole

LEN3 has today's lineup posted and it shows something many of us have longed for:
    1. Aaron Hicks, CF
    2. Joe Mauer, C
    3. Josh Willingham, LF
    4. Justin Morneau, 1B
    5. Ryan Doumit, DH
    6. Trevor Plouffe, 3B
    7, Chris Parmelee, RF
    8. Eduardo Escobar, 2B
    9. Pedro Florimon, SS

Joe Mauer, batting 2nd!?!

Given that the roster is basically set, what's our best lineup? I like this, but mostly likely with Dozier in at 2nd and Escobar/Carroll filling in up the middle frequently.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most likely Gardy isn't as comfy with Escobar at #2 as he is Dozier. I still fully expect Dozier at #2, but would prefer the above with Dozier instead of Escobar.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Please Gardybear, keep this lineup throughout the season, and bat Dozier in the 8 hole when he plays.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Morneau scratched from the lineup (back tightness), Wilkin Ramirez takes over RF, Parm moving to 1B.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Morneau scratched from the lineup (back tightness), Wilkin Ramirez takes over RF, Parm moving to 1B.
    The first time Wally Pipp sat was innocuous enough, but doubtful that Parm is Iron Horse 2.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like this lineup. At the very least, if used only for Escobar, it would indicate a break from the strict "batting order by position" stuff, which made Mike Redmond a semi-regular #3 hitter for a few years.

Banned Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Play second...bat second. Gardy 101

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If there was any credit given to Correia for 5 good innings in that game, I missed it.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correia did save his only strikeout for the right time, I'll give him that.

Otherwise it was a lot of batted balls that found gloves and not holes or seats. Do we credit him for that?

Blog Entries
    After hearing Bert go on about how defense likes pitchers who work quickly, I pulled the last 3 years of qualified starter pacing and FDP-Win values to see if there was any indication of a relationship. Looks like not.

Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't get carried away here. Next you're going to tell us that a team's best relief pitcher shouldn't be solely reserved for pitching the ninth inning while starting with no runners on and a lead. Blasphemy!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier cannot bat second. There is no reason to do that, but I am sure Gardy will say something about "balance" in the lineup. Which is just plain stupid. If Dozier is worthy, in Gardy's eyes, of batting second, then putting him 8th instead seems like a more "balanced" approach.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    If there was any credit given to Correia for 5 good innings in that game, I missed it.
    Five innings of spring training baseball.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Five innings of spring training baseball.
    We discuss innings of spring baseball for others. I'm hardly on record advocating Correia's signing, and I'm not doing handsprings now over this game. But the stony silence when things go well for him ... I dunno, I just felt like pointing it out. We do root for him to do well for the team, right? That's more important to me than being right about the $10M looking like a subpar investment in the offseason.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts
    We discuss innings of spring baseball for others. I'm hardly on record advocating Correia's signing, and I'm not doing handsprings now over this game. But the stony silence when things go well for him ... I dunno, I just felt like pointing it out. We do root for him to do well for the team, right? That's more important to me than being right about the $10M looking like a subpar investment in the offseason.
    Only if you think that 1 K over 5 innings is a good start.
    Sometimes guys don't pitch well and things work out okay in the runs category. Sure, getting lucky might help you win that day, but over the course of a season, it's not a recipe for success.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We do root for him to do well for the team, right? That's more important to me than being right about the $10M looking like a subpar investment in the offseason.
    Some folks have been and continue to be quite up front and open about their hope for failure for certain people to "prove their point." Others you can find it in nuance and subtext. But there are certainly a fair amount of instances where their honest answer to your question could only be a resounding "No."

Liked 664 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I watched Correia pitch last night... He only struck out one but he did produce a bunch of charity hop grounders. If anyone got the impression that the Red Sox were hitting darts around the park that just happened to be caught... I would disagree.

I won't complain about Correia until he actually gives me reason to... That time hasn't come yet.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I concur; there does seem to be a double standard based on whether we think an acquisition is a good one or not. If good performances are ignored, using the argument it is only ST, than we should be ignoring the bad ones as well. If we want to gripe and moan about a bad ST performance, than we should be just as willing to compliment a good one.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I watched Correia pitch last night... He only struck out one but he did produce a bunch of charity hop grounders. If anyone got the impression that the Red Sox were hitting darts around the park that just happened to be caught... I would disagree.

I won't complain about Correia until he actually gives me reason to... That time hasn't come yet.
    I agree, I was mildly impressed with his performance last night. Not a lot of good swings by the Sox, IMO. That being said, I like to get my complaining in ahead of time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Some folks have been and continue to be quite up front and open about their hope for failure for certain people to "prove their point." Others you can find it in nuance and subtext. But there are certainly a fair amount of instances where their honest answer to your question could only be a resounding "No."
    There's another subtext which seems to be saying that no praise for a 5 IP, 5 H, 1 BB, 1 K line is equivalent to complaining, but I don't see any Correia complaininig in this thread, only tempered praise for a guy who carried a ~7 ERA into yesterday's start and left with a 5.4. Not to mention, the Twins lost 6-1 and the offense stunk. There just weren't any positives to take out of yesterday's game really, unless you're a Boston fan.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast