Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Who is coming up first from Rochester?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Who is coming up first from Rochester?

    Anyone wanna take bets on who gets called up first from Rochester and when?


    It's a pretty safe bet that Butera comes up if Mauer or Doumit goes down, but what about the rest of the position players?

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,318
    Like
    54
    Liked 75 Times in 39 Posts
    Considering De Vries left todays game with a forearm injury, I'll say PJ Walters is first up.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Walters isn't on the 40 though, you'd have to take somebody off to make room. I'm hoping today's injury was just a bit of discomfort that they are being SUPER overly cautious about

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    459
    Like
    24
    Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Considering De Vries left todays game with a forearm injury, I'll say PJ Walters is first up.
    I was going to say Deduno for the same reason. He has the same 40-man problem that Walters has, though, plus he has a minor injury of his own.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Why are you even asking? Butera. No matter who goes down first.

    (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

  6. #6
    Hernandez. But we will see Diamond and Swarzak, and then we will see whoever they replace again, first. And for position players, it is Benson or Hermann or Butera, depending on needs. We have two back-up infielders,so if someone goes down, no need to add to 40-man.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

  7. #7
    Butera is the guy for either Florimon or Dozier floundering or Ramirez not having a role.
    Starting pitching wise, its Pedro Hernandez.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,759
    Like
    136
    Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
    Unfortunately, Swarzak is a good guess.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,836
    Like
    135
    Liked 281 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Deduno. Gibson. Hernandez.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  10. #10
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    22
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Anyone wanna take bets on who gets called up first from Rochester and when?


    It's a pretty safe bet that Butera comes up if Mauer or Doumit goes down, but what about the rest of the position players?
    It will be a pitcher, so will the 2nd and 3rd call ups. Maybe Swarzak. They will make room on the 40 for someone that can help so Deduno and Walters may be on their way too.

  11. #11
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    22
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Max Kepler

  12. #12
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,415
    Like
    167
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I think Deduno or Swarzak. If Deduno continues his success in Rochester, he'll be up quickly and on the 40 man. If he's still hurt and the need arises sooner, it will be Swarzak.

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,922
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Good, but tough question... Swarzak and Diamond will be off the DL in a short time, so they'll likely replace (De Vries or Hendriks) and (someone in the bullpen, though Swarzak could be DFAd since they'll likely want to keep Pressly). And Wood coming off the DL at some point will send someone else down.

    It depends on how early it is and what the circumstances are.

    Kyle Gibson will com up when he is deemed ready, regardless of what it means for others.

    Walters/Deduno will have to really prove that they can help and they're needed due to them not being on the 40 man.

    If they were to need a spot start, it could be Pedro Hernandez.

    Obviously if one of the catchers is put on the DL, it will be Butera (as it should be).

    I can't see a move from the minors in the infield or outfield... at least until mid-season and maybe Arcia is ready.

  14. #14
    seth, it took all of 6 weeks last year for walters to be added to the 40 man, if the need arises TR isnt afraid to move guys off if they are not performing , he has made that pretty clear.. could be tomorrow or may be 2 months but its going to happen for walters & deduno.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    395
    Like
    0
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    A catcher doesn't need to be hurt for Butera to be called up. I think if Gardy thought he could get by with 11 pitchers, Butera will come up. If a Mauer or Doumit is slighty dinged up, Butera could come up. If Ramirez or Escobar can't find much playing time, Butera comes up. He is more than a Gardy security blanket. His presence means Mauer and Doumit can appear at other positions more often. It means that they can be used optimumly like they were last year, rather than one be forced to catch if they are sore, or slightly dinged or there is an opportunity to use them in the field.

    It is also doubtfully that his presence actually hurts the team much. It probably means that Doumit and maybe even Mauer get more AB's, just not at catcher. Since Butera really only takes catching appearances away from the other 2, and mostly from Doumit, it is likely that the upgrade defensively pretty much cancels the loss in offense that some other 2nd stringer would provide over Butera.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,318
    Like
    54
    Liked 75 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    A catcher doesn't need to be hurt for Butera to be called up. I think if Gardy thought he could get by with 11 pitchers, Butera will come up. If a Mauer or Doumit is slighty dinged up, Butera could come up. If Ramirez or Escobar can't find much playing time, Butera comes up. He is more than a Gardy security blanket. His presence means Mauer and Doumit can appear at other positions more often. It means that they can be used optimumly like they were last year, rather than one be forced to catch if they are sore, or slightly dinged or there is an opportunity to use them in the field.

    It is also doubtfully that his presence actually hurts the team much. It probably means that Doumit and maybe even Mauer get more AB's, just not at catcher. Since Butera really only takes catching appearances away from the other 2, and mostly from Doumit, it is likely that the upgrade defensively pretty much cancels the loss in offense that some other 2nd stringer would provide over Butera.
    Sorry, can you give me an example of what you mean with the bolded part. I'm sure its just me, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean by this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    It is also doubtfully that his presence actually hurts the team much. It probably means that Doumit and maybe even Mauer get more AB's, just not at catcher. Since Butera really only takes catching appearances away from the other 2, and mostly from Doumit, it is likely that the upgrade defensively pretty much cancels the loss in offense that some other 2nd stringer would provide over Butera.
    I presume your point is that, with Butera available, Gardenhire would feel comfortable putting both Doumit and Mauer in the game and not have to keep one on the bench in reserve in case the other goes down (and thus lose the DH for the balance of that game). Thus, while Butera's bat is a liability, having both Mauer and Doumit in the lineup compensates for that, and Butera is probably a better defensive catcher that Mauer and Doumit (I know some dispute that) so it would add defensively too.

    Is that what you were getting at?

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,318
    Like
    54
    Liked 75 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I presume your point is that, with Butera available, Gardenhire would feel comfortable putting both Doumit and Mauer in the game and not have to keep one on the bench in reserve in case the other goes down (and thus lose the DH for the balance of that game). Thus, while Butera's bat is a liability, having both Mauer and Doumit in the lineup compensates for that, and Butera is probably a better defensive catcher that Mauer and Doumit (I know some dispute that) so it would add defensively too.

    Is that what you were getting at?
    Mauer and Doumit are going to be in the lineup at the same time whether Butera is up or not.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    395
    Like
    0
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Since Mauer is the team's best hitter, he needs to be in the lineup as much as possible. Last year Doumit was the team's 5th best hitter so he needs to be in the lineup most of the time as well. It is likely that the best lineup the Twins can field has Mauer at catcher. But he can't catch every game. Mauer will catch as many games as he can, but the goal is to have him in the lineup nearly everyday. Since he can be used at 1B, DH and even RF, you can get him in the lineup as often as he is physically up to it.

    Having Butera catch, doesn't have to take either Doumit or Mauer out of the lineup. If Morneau needs a day off, Mauer can go to 1B. Doumit can be at DH or even RF. Gardy was actually a bit creative at times last year. Nearly always, one of Mauer or Doumit was in the lineup with Butera, sometimes both. So that is what I mean when I said Butera didn't take AB's from Mauer or Doumit. It is possible that by keeping both fresher, his presence on the roster gave both more AB's than if he wasn't there. Because of their versatility and Gardy's willingness to use them at other positions than just catcher and DH.

    The other aspect of this is that Butera probably doesn't take AB's from other regulars either. Morneau, Willingham and Parmelee will likely be in the lineup when they are healthy. When they need a day off, or perhaps maybe a tough lefthander is on the mound, Butera catches and Doumit and/or Mauer play in the field. So largely, if not exclusively, Butera took/will take AB's from other backups.

    Finally, Butera is considered a better defensive catcher than Doumit. The upgrade defensively of playing Butera at catcher over Doumit will, at least to some degree cancel the loss of offense by playing Butera over some other backup.

    One last point is that Butera doesn't play very often. There certainly could be some considerable benefit to having an extra PH on the bench to hit for the middle infielders late in games. I just suspect that getting more AB's to Doumit and perhaps Mauer by having Butera on the roster could be worth putting up with his lack of offense.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,318
    Like
    54
    Liked 75 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    Since Mauer is the team's best hitter, he needs to be in the lineup as much as possible. Last year Doumit was the team's 5th best hitter so he needs to be in the lineup most of the time as well. It is likely that the best lineup the Twins can field has Mauer at catcher. But he can't catch every game. Mauer will catch as many games as he can, but the goal is to have him in the lineup nearly everyday. Since he can be used at 1B, DH and even RF, you can get him in the lineup as often as he is physically up to it.

    Having Butera catch, doesn't have to take either Doumit or Mauer out of the lineup. If Morneau needs a day off, Mauer can go to 1B. Doumit can be at DH or even RF. Gardy was actually a bit creative at times last year. Nearly always, one of Mauer or Doumit was in the lineup with Butera, sometimes both. So that is what I mean when I said Butera didn't take AB's from Mauer or Doumit. It is possible that by keeping both fresher, his presence on the roster gave both more AB's than if he wasn't there. Because of their versatility and Gardy's willingness to use them at other positions than just catcher and DH.

    The other aspect of this is that Butera probably doesn't take AB's from other regulars either. Morneau, Willingham and Parmelee will likely be in the lineup when they are healthy. When they need a day off, or perhaps maybe a tough lefthander is on the mound, Butera catches and Doumit and/or Mauer play in the field. So largely, if not exclusively, Butera took/will take AB's from other backups.

    Finally, Butera is considered a better defensive catcher than Doumit. The upgrade defensively of playing Butera at catcher over Doumit will, at least to some degree cancel the loss of offense by playing Butera over some other backup.

    One last point is that Butera doesn't play very often. There certainly could be some considerable benefit to having an extra PH on the bench to hit for the middle infielders late in games. I just suspect that getting more AB's to Doumit and perhaps Mauer by having Butera on the roster could be worth putting up with his lack of offense.
    Thanks for clarifying that, but I disagree.
    The backup that would see the most playing time in your scenario would be Mastrionni, who I consider a significant upgrade over Butera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.