Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Position Analysis: Relief Pitcher

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Position Analysis: Relief Pitcher

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Last October, Ryan stated that the Bullpen was his second highest priority.
    Its to bad that the Twins can no longer go out and sign a reliable Bullpen Arm.
    Small Market Teams cannot do this.
    Last edited by Highabove; 03-28-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Last October, Ryan stated that the Bullpen was his second highest priority.
    Its to bad that the Twins can no longer go out and sign a reliable Bullpen Arm.
    Small Market Teams cannot do this.
    Letting someone with an era of 5.40 last year and an era of 8.49 in the spring to start the season in the major league is a disgrace to the players and the fans.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jun View Post
    Letting someone with an era of 5.40 last year and an era of 8.49 in the spring to start the season in the major league is a disgrace to the players and the fans.
    I'm getting really sick of Robertson too.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I'm getting really sick of Robertson too.
    Couldn't agree more. I might just be holding a few notable at-bats against him (See: Fielder) because I know his numbers aren't as putrid as my imagination believes them to be.....but every time he huffs and puffs his way out to the mound - I cringe.

I'm very skeptical of this group. Perk and Burton were awesome last year, but I have my doubts that both can repeat. Duensing is solid out of hte pen, so there's that. But after that this group really worries me. This is an awfully shaky bullpen foundation and the guys that would be first up to replace them if they fail hardly reassure me.

Robertson is a one-two batter guy. Roiencke is around incase Swarzak is a mess. We also have Tim Wood sitting on the dl in the wings. Hey,we could've signed Capps, Rauch and Hawkins.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Robertson should not have made the team this year. After a decent start last year he was nothing short of pathetic and now with a poor spring training I hope they have a short leash on him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by messed up View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Robertson should not have made the team this year. After a decent start last year he was nothing short of pathetic and now with a poor spring training I hope they have a short leash on him.
    Of the options available, who would you have selected?

Oh and he was better the last two months than he was before that...better at end of the season than the beginning. His 'decent start' consisted of an ERA over 8 in June and over 7.00 in July...his pathetic times consisted of ERA in the mid 3.00s
    Last edited by ThePuck; 03-29-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 281 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jun View Post
    Read the bottom of the barrel for ST stats

Among those with ERAs over 6 this spring:

Roy Haladay
    Dan Haren
    James Shields
    Doug Fister

Just more proof that SP stats mean very little.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 281 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by messed up View Post
    The Twins have six injured pitchers who should join the team in the first two months of the year (Diamond, Swarzak, Wood, Deduno, Perez and Harden). I doubt anyone will remember the two weeks and four innings we had to endure Tyler Robertson.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    > And those overall numbers were dinged heavily by 52 terrible innings from Jeff Gray

I won't do the research but I suspect most bullpens could locate 52 innings from one or two bottom of the barrel staff members to bolster their argument for a stronger year this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For whatever reason, I'm holding my breath on Burton in much the same way as Diamond. As a side note, I thought his extension was a strange move of the offseason that didn't get a lot attention. Hoping to be wrong, of course.

I'm getting more comfortable that Perkins can continue to be at least close to as good as the last couple of years. Duensing feels like a pretty known quantity. I feel OK that Fien will be OK. The rest may as well be giant question marks to me.

Bottom line, I'm hopeful than can be OK to good, but there's a little nagging feeling that they might collectively be "an issue" all year long.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Read the bottom of the barrel for ST stats

Among those with ERAs over 6 this spring:

Roy Haladay
    Dan Haren
    James Shields
    Doug Fister

They are experienced major leaguers and all of them are starters who had some success, Robertson has not shown anything close to that.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Robertson won't last and the Twins snag some piece of trash off the waiver wire, but other than that this bullpen looks strong to me.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Alright. Here is a question for you (trivia) :

Name the year the Twins had their best ST record as a team.

Then re-think while ST matters or not.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post

. Duensing is solid out of the pen, so there's......
    ......the strong likelihood that Gardy will once again impulsively think that the Duens is the logical option to be inserted into the rotation when the second or third starter arms break down....

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    ......the strong likelihood that Gardy will once again impulsively think that the Duens is the logical option to be inserted into the rotation when the second or third starter arms break down....
    I want to believe this is unjustified paranoia. I really, really do....but all I can do is shake my head and wait for it to inevitably happen.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

You imply 1991 or 1987. I will go with 1991. I think it has actually been true (or true-ish) that Twins regular season standings mirror the minor league standings (aside from 2011 in particular). That seems anomalous though.

And that is team standings, not individual player performance. Spring training should mean little more than simply getting players up to 100% capability for the season.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand Roenicke and Wood being signed. At all. Pressly should probably be used in that role and the Twins should send Swarzak packing to find Bigfoot. I like Pressly because maybe there is a little Matt Guerrier in him. And I wish it was Slama time for say a 20-inning trial. I actually think a straight up Slama-Robertson RH-LH usage could be effective in the 6th and 7th innings.

Speaking of, Robertson will be much better this year than last, if he is used properly. 40 innings against lefties would increase his value a lot. He struck out 22 of the 72 lefties he faced last year and was very effective at the end of the year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

Spring training matters. Observation of the approach at the plate, the command on the mound, the work ethic in practice, leadership, confidence...

All of those matter. Your observations about a day in spring training much more valuable descriptions of the progress than a box score.

There isn't enough data even it were regular season to draw any conclusions. The lack of data is compounded by the varying context of the opponent.

No one can say spring training does not matter. It does. It is the data that can not be used to make inferences of the future.

Returning to record in the spring. Maybe it is possible that an extremely bad or good record in the spring might tell something about the season. I am confident the same is not true about individual data.

Do spring training records mean anything? - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast