Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 25-man roster set

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

25-man roster set

According to the Twins website, Tim Wood has been moved to the 15-day DL, and both Rafael Perez and Rich Harden have been moved to the minor league camp.

That basically sets the 25-man roster, with Wilkin Ramirez making the club. The only question left is what roster move they make on the 40-man roster to make room for Ramirez.

Do they get rid of one of the veterans (Burnett, Butera) or one of the minor leaguers (Hernandez, Thielbar, Pinto)? Thoughts?
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 03-29-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Robertson should be looking for a place to live in Mpls. yet, and if he does, he should rent by the month.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I don't think Robertson should be looking for a place to live in Mpls. yet, and if he does, he should rent by the month.
    That may be, but it appears he's going to be there opening day, unless the Twins bring somebody back into camp that they sent down earlier this spring.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    That may be, but it appears he's going to be there opening day, unless the Twins bring somebody back into camp that they sent down earlier this spring.
    While Robertson will be there opening day, he won't be by the time they come back from their road trip to Baltimore and KC. I imagine that Swarzak will be activated by the time that the Twins get back home to play the Mets and that Robertson will be optioned to Rochester.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It won't be pinto or butera. They would lose them on waivers, guaranteed.

I would guess thielbar or Hernandez. Burnett has had some flashes of adequacy in the bigs, at that might be enough for someone to grab him

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    It won't be pinto or butera. They would lose them on waivers, guaranteed.

I would guess thielbar or Hernandez. Burnett has had some flashes of adequacy in the bigs, at that might be enough for someone to grab him
    My question would be, why exactly are we concerned about losing some of these players?
    Drew Butera is a career negative WAR player. Losing a player like that is not a significant loss, IMO.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    I'm gonna guess Burnett. Anyone want to put money on it?

Liked 139 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Today, 04:58 PM I'm gonna guess Burnett. Anyone want to put money on it?
    Amazing guess. How did you do it?

Twins Daily - Blue Jays claim Alex Burnett off waivers
    by Nick Nelson Published on 03-29-2013 04:51 PM

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    While Robertson will be there opening day, he won't be by the time they come back from their road trip to Baltimore and KC. I imagine that Swarzak will be activated by the time that the Twins get back home to play the Mets and that Robertson will be optioned to Rochester.
    My guess is that DeVries gets moved to the pen when Diamond is activated and Robertson goes to AAA.

Blog Entries
    People returning from the DL may indeed send Robertson to Rochester, but, given their track record, what are the odds that the staff stays healthy?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    People returning from the DL may indeed send Robertson to Rochester, but, given their track record, what are the odds that the staff stays healthy?
    Well, not very good. DeVries was taken out after three innings today due to a sore right forearm. Maybe Robertson makes it past Diamond coming off the DL.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    My question would be, why exactly are we concerned about losing some of these players?
    Drew Butera is a career negative WAR player. Losing a player like that is not a significant loss, IMO.
    Butera is basically insurance against Doumit or Mauer getting hurt. He might not be a hitter, but do we have any other catchers in the system that you would trust during a "real" game?

Also, if they really didn't care about losing those guys, they could probably trade them and at least get something for them.

Looks like I was right though about someone being willing to grab Burnett.

Senior Member All-Star
    Butera is basically insurance against Doumit or Mauer getting hurt. He might not be a hitter, but do we have any other catchers in the system that you would trust during a "real" game?

Also, if they really didn't care about losing those guys, they could probably trade them and at least get something for them.

Looks like I was right though about someone being willing to grab Burnett.
    Again, Butera is WORSE than replacement level.
    If Doumit or Mauer got hurt, Chris Hermann could come up and catch once every 4 days. He couldnt be much worse than Butera.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 351 Times in 175 Posts
    Meh, who cares about Butera, as long as he is in AAA he isn't hurting the club.

Burnett sucked, not sad to see him go, but he seemed nice enough so maybe he can at least make a few bucks the next few years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    There will be a revolving door between Minneapolis and Rochester.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Meh, who cares about Butera, as long as he is in AAA he isn't hurting the club.

Burnett sucked, not sad to see him go, but he seemed nice enough so maybe he can at least make a few bucks the next few years.
    Part 1: As long as he is in AAA he is just one phone call away from hurting the club. And I think we've all seen that once Gardy gets him on that bench, he remembers how much he likes him, and he never goes back down.

Part 2: Burnett isn't good either, but he's marginally better than Butera. Butera is a negative WAR player, Burnett is exactly WAR neutral.
    While lose Burnett is a okay with me, I'm just saying if I were making a list of players that I'd give the boot to, Butera would be a notch or 2 higher than Burnett, although they'd both be on the list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Again, Butera is WORSE than replacement level.
    If Doumit or Mauer got hurt, Chris Hermann could come up and catch once every 4 days. He couldnt be much worse than Butera.
    In the last three years what other catcher in the minor league system did the Twins have to replace Butera?
    In regards to Hermann at the major league level you might have missed a couple of things. This spring and last fall Hermann proved he was not ready for magor league level of play. Batting 056 is better than .196?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    This spring and last fall Hermann proved he was not ready for magor league level of play. Batting 056 is better than .196?
    19 ABs decided that huh? I'm not saying he is or isn't, but that's pretty flimsy evidence.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seriously, I know that Butera is a terrible hitter, but he is NOT a terrible catcher. He's a very good catcher and has a track record of working very well with our pitchers. I'm not going to advocate that he takes over as a starter, but he is more than capable of being a backup catcher, especially if we can get the rest of our lineup hitting decently.

Right now in AAA he can be very valuable working with Gibson, Deduno, and the other pitchers down there who might make it to the bigs this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Seriously, I know that Butera is a terrible hitter, but he is NOT a terrible catcher. He's a very good catcher and has a track record of working very well with our pitchers. I'm not going to advocate that he takes over as a starter, but he is more than capable of being a backup catcher, especially if we can get the rest of our lineup hitting decently.

Right now in AAA he can be very valuable working with Gibson, Deduno, and the other pitchers down there who might make it to the bigs this year.
    LOL, the mythical legend of ol' Drew, working miracles with pitchers. Just seeing Drew behind that mask is enough to inspire confidence in any pitcher on the mound.

No, but seriously, do you have any data to back up this claim that Butera is some greek god at "working with pitchers"?
    Because WAR takes both offense and defense (and baserunning) into account, and Butera is a negative WAR player.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast