Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game 163 in 2009

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I went back and found some of those highlights during last season, not to mention that offseason. Gordon's call of the Cabrera-started double play was great.

My brother getting cut off by the beer vendor in the 6th inning (never seen that happen before). The reaction of the fans while Gomez was coming home was unreal - it was the most exciting thing I've ever witnessed.

So many great memories of that night. One that sticks out was the force play that Punto made, throwing to the plate on the slow chopper by Inge with the bases loaded in the top of the 12th. That was a great heads-up play. The image that will always be with me, though, was seeing the all the players come pouring out of the dugout as Gomez made the turn for home. The last memory I have in the Metrodome is celebrating that win - embracing my friends, high-fiving strangers, and being completely overwhelmed by the joy of the greatest ballgame I ever saw in person. I'll never forget 163.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many Detroit fans did you guys see at that game? I only saw one, and he was in the parking ramp when I was leaving

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was next to two of them in a line for beer. They were pretty cool, some one was talking to **** to them so I think I said something along the line of "not all of us are asses like that". Then again I was one of the asses running around yelling "Go Pack Go" even though the Vikings beat them the night before

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like the one time in the last (almost) decade that we have been able to win a playoff game on the national stage

I was sitting a few rows above the baggy in the upper deck. Best game I've ever been to. Waited in line in the rain for about an hour to get into Huberts. The bases loaded double play was epic. It seemed like Detroit was poised to blow the game open and that double play saved us.

Me and my buddy sat 20-some rows up in dead center field, and I remember not wanting to leave after the game was over - despite the 3.5 hour drive home we had to make. We sat up in our seats for so long just exhausted and in unbelief at what we just saw, that this little old lady usher came out and yelled up to us that we had to leave so they could clean up. One of the highlights of my life so far!

Things I'll never forget: At game 162, the entire crowd chanting "Let's go White Sox! Let's go White Sox" while watching the scoreboard, and the roar that went up when that final score posted was enough that the players on the field called time out. My friends and I then spent the entire 4-hour car ride home calling the Twins box office until we could finally get through and bought tickets for 163. Then the next day turned around and made the 4-hour drive back up to the Dome. I do remember the taunts of Cabrera (though not fondly, I was actually ashamed of Twins fans for that one), and of course Gomez rounding third and diving into home. Hands down the best game I have ever seen, and probably ever will see. And I also still have my cell phone video of the celebration afterwards. Unfortunately I hadn't thought to take it out to record the actual winning run.
    Last edited by chaderic20; 03-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12