Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Blue Jays claim Alex Burnett off waivers

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm surprised the Jays had room for him. Aside from the blockbuster trades they made, it seemed to me they made a ton of waiver claims this offseason.
    Remember, he doesn't have to be on the 25 man, just the 40-man. I'm sure he'll start out at AAA. The Jays must have someone they can take off their 40-man roster.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    The bigger question is now that Burnett is officially gone from the system will Hicks take his number (31) or will he stay with 32?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Remember, he doesn't have to be on the 25 man, just the 40-man. I'm sure he'll start out at AAA. The Jays must have someone they can take off their 40-man roster.
    Yup, this doesn't mean Alex will be starting in the majors with the Jays. Chances are he'll go to AAA to start the season.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    Yup, this doesn't mean Alex will be starting in the majors with the Jays. Chances are he'll go to AAA to start the season.
    The Blue Jays already optioned him to AAA.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    The Blue Jays already optioned him to AAA.

Ahh..missed that part but that's what I figured would happen given their current roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was supportive of optioning Burnett, but I don't quite grasp outrighting him off the 40-man before Wood and/or Pinto.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I was supportive of optioning Burnett, but I don't quite grasp outrighting him off the 40-man before Wood and/or Pinto.

I like Tim Wood better than Burnett so I don't have an issue with the move. Granted, Wood is 30 years old but for this year I think he'll help the team more than Burnett would.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,213 Times in 723 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    I like Tim Wood better than Burnett so I don't have an issue with the move. Granted, Wood is 30 years old but for this year I think he'll help the team more than Burnett would.
    I have an opinion on whether a Civic is better than a Sentra, too, but what I really wish is that a 911 was in my garage.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I have an opinion on whether a Civic is better than a Sentra, too, but what I really wish is that a 911 was in my garage.
    Don't we all?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 36 Posts
    I wish him luck. For some reason I always liked him, despite the frustration with him.
    He was a WAR neutral player in his time at the MLB level, though perhaps he does have some potential.
    At the end of the day I would have much rather seen Butera go, but losing a replacement level player is never going to be a huge mistake.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Blue Jays claim Alex Burnett off waivers

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Somehow the Twins didn't utilize the talent they saw in the 22 year old they brought to the majors. It is either an error in talent assessment at the time of call up or talent development by not allowing him real time in AAA.

I hope he does well with the Blue Jay organization.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Totally stupid move by Ryan. Lots of other options to take off the 40-man roster including Butera, Wood, Thielbar. Or he could at least try to work out a trade. Horrible move I hope it does not come back to bite the Twins
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Inherited runners scored was a Burnett specialty. Doesn't Boston have to put him on waivers to send him to AAA, too?

With Thielbar and Butera being more likely candidates to go thru waivers, surprised by this move (shades of Pat Neshek who still had options). Burnett was still young enough to contribute 2-3 years in the back of the bullpen. Maybe it opens a door for Slama to be reconsidered in the near future.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure Butera makes it through waivers, at least if the reports were accurate when he was sent to AAA. Some would argue that it would not be a major loss if Butera had been outrighted, but Burnett is easily replaceable. Are we really worried he's going to tear it up in the AL East?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Burnett is not going to last long in the majors.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any basis for this, but just seems to be true. How many guys actually are successful relievers if they come out of the minors as relievers. It seems as though most of the Twins top relievers were converted starters: Aguilera, Guardado, Hawkins, Nathan.... I think Burnett pretty much reached his ceiling which was 4th or 5th reliever.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Burnett was optioned to Triple-A by Toronto. On their 40-man, but not on their 25-man. Same as his situation here. He's also using his final option this year and will more than likely be arbitration-eligible after this season.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 274 Times in 178 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not bothered by this. Burnett is not getting any better. And his peripherals are getting worse. Andy loved him to a fault the last three years. And it cost the Twins plenty. Plus, he's like 10 other guys waiting for an opportunity. He walked 6 guys in 8 innings this spring. That, more than anything, sealed his fate. I'd be surprised if he amounts to anything for the Blue Jays.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast