Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Blue Jays claim Alex Burnett off waivers

I am sure they thought Burnett would clear waivers, but it is not a big loss. He was sent down because other guys were better, and there are plenty of other options.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Totally stupid move by Ryan. Lots of other options to take off the 40-man roster including Butera, Wood, Thielbar. Or he could at least try to work out a trade. Horrible move I hope it does not come back to bite the Twins
    Burnett did this to himself.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One down and more to go. Progress for a team is removing dead wood from the 40 man roster, Toronto has room because of trading many upper level minor league prospects on the 40 man roster for the talent they received in trade. Odds are this will not hurt and Twins and in my mind is the start of improvement

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Burnett is no better it worse than anyone else on this staff. Other than Hicks the entire 25 man roster could be dealt or claimed and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. This is a bottom 3 roster in the majors. Not worth getting worked up when a AA talent we had on the major league roster gets claimed. Addition by subtraction.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 86 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Somehow the Twins didn't utilize the talent they saw in the 22 year old they brought to the majors. It is either an error in talent assessment at the time of call up or talent development by not allowing him real time in AAA.

I hope he does well with the Blue Jay organization.
    Or maybe (and this is a wild and crazy thought), just a tiny bit of the responsibility falls on the player?
    No nevermind, what was I thinking. Couldn't possibly be the player's fault that he didnt achieve his potential.
    Much like JaMarcus Russell, and Todd Marinovich, it was the coaching staff and FO that ruined him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Totally stupid move by Ryan. Lots of other options to take off the 40-man roster including Butera, Wood, Thielbar. Or he could at least try to work out a trade. Horrible move I hope it does not come back to bite the Twins
    I think "stupid" and "horrible" might be just a tad too strong of words for losing a replacement level middle reliever.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Stupid move by Twins. You do not waiver a major league ready player with a option.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Stupid move by Twins. You do not waiver a major league ready player with a option.
    They had to waive somebody to make room for Ramirez. They can't waive anybody that's injured, and they clearly felt that losing Burnett would be less impactful than losing any of the other candidates.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    The option had nothing to do with it. They had to remove someone from the 40 man roster, options have nothing to do with that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This doesn't bother me at all. Burnett was nothing special. Guys like him grow on trees.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

The people who want to grouse will grouse about anything - this thread is living proof.

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    These guys are a dime by the dozen. Don't lose any sleep over it. We can claim one of these guys next time somebody gets DFA'd.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 793 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    I just have a feeling this might haunt the Twins.
    I don't. The Twins have a decent pen already, Burnett can't miss a bat to save his life, and the Twins acquired about 75 power relievers in the last draft.

No loss at all.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm so happy. I can't believe some people are mad about this. He's an awful relief pitcher who can't get strikeouts and let's too many batters on.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Well maybe they can pick him back up and then option him.

Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I'm so happy. I can't believe some people are mad about this. He's an awful relief pitcher who can't get strikeouts and let's too many batters on.
    Bingo. People who are complaining about losing Alex Burnett would complain about the color of the sky. Burnett is a bad pitcher who was getting worse each year. Good riddance and good luck. Maybe a change of scenery will make him a better pitcher. I doubt it.
    Last edited by mgraves; 03-30-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I saw the press release come across my phone yesterday afternoon, I was quite surprised. Despite those low strikeout totals and too-high strikeout rate, Burnett did get the job done most of last year. He is still young. He is a good dude, and I really hope that he figures out a way to use his good fastball, get some movement on it and finally develop those other pitches better. I hope he succeeds. I think that a year in AAA will be good for him. He never got that. In that rookie season, he was in his first year on the roster and was optioned early in camp, but when Clay Condrey had to go on the DL the final weekend of the spring, they went with Burnett, straight from AA. I wish him well.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am surprised that people care about this. He was very lucky last year to not be shelled *a lot.*

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    When I saw the press release come across my phone yesterday afternoon, I was quite surprised. Despite those low strikeout totals and too-high strikeout rate, Burnett did get the job done most of last year. He is still young. He is a good dude, and I really hope that he figures out a way to use his good fastball, get some movement on it and finally develop those other pitches better. I hope he succeeds. I think that a year in AAA will be good for him. He never got that. In that rookie season, he was in his first year on the roster and was optioned early in camp, but when Clay Condrey had to go on the DL the final weekend of the spring, they went with Burnett, straight from AA. I wish him well.
    Burnett's problem is he never learned a decent second pitch. This means he is only a contact pitcher. And we all know that the sinker comes and goes. When it's not there, he's extremely hittable. Unlike you, I don't think he made progress last year. He was just lucky, had a lot of balls hit at people instead of between people. That will not last.

I don't wish anyone ill will or anything. I just think he's the best candidate to be taken off the 40-man. I'm surprised the Twins think so as well (I predicted Thielbar). But call me pleasantly surprised.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    No one will have a single thought about Burnett by April 1st. That's Monday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast