Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: Blue Jays claim Alex Burnett off waivers

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't. The Twins have a decent pen already, Burnett can't miss a bat to save his life, and the Twins acquired about 75 power relievers in the last draft.

No loss at all.
    The only surprise here was that given for how long the Twins questionably remained enamored with Burnett and his failures to raise his floor, that they finally figured it out and designated him to walk the DFA plank. While there might be fears of another Breslau or Balfour in this move for some (not me), it's the right move for the Twins to finally decide to start cutting bait with the players, like in this case, that aren't progressing and merely taking up valuable roster space.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Yeah, this won't be another Balfour situation.
    Balfour had a very good K rate, and a very unlucky HR/FB rate when he was here.
    It wouldn't have taken too deep of digging to see that he was likely going to be a useful arm out of the pen.
    With Burnett, there really isnt anything in his secondary numbers that suggest he is eventually going to be a solid BP arm. In fact the secondary numbers go the other way with Burnett, showing a guy who was pretty lucky to put up the mediocre numbers that he sometimes did.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Balfour isn't a fair comparison. He blew out his shoulder and took 2-3 years to make it back to the majors. Be happy that he overcame the injury and made it back but hard to fault the Twins too much for that one.

(edit: actually he got hurt following the '04 season and didn't pitch in the majors until '08. It is a pretty amazing comeback story).

Breslow was unfortunate, dropped him for a nothing guy, but it's not like he is a dominant reliever, but he is a worthwhile piece.

That is why it is amazing to see any level of angst from anyone on this move. Best case he is a 4th reliever and like was said earlier that never hurts anyone, it is the most fungible piece in all of baseball.
    Last edited by drjim; 03-30-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Papers...business papers.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Balfour isn't a fair comparison. He blew out his shoulder and took 2-3 years to make it back to the majors. Be happy that he overcame the injury and made it back but hard to fault the Twins too much for that one.
    I didn't like seeing Balfour go but I understand why the Twins did it. As you said, he was out for a looooooong time. Completely different situation than Burnett.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 685 Posts
    Really, we care about this? I guess this answers any question as to whether Swarzak would clear waivers or not. Something I also care little to nothing about.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To me, Burnett offers an object lesson in a problem with drafting high school pitchers. He was 17 years old at Elizabethton, and his progression through age through age 21 looked pretty nice. I forget the roster rules but at some point around then he had to be added to the 40-man. Even with all the concerns about his stuff, his record suggests a guy who will have a productive career age 26-30 or so. But a guy drafted young and not progressing faster than that, becomes expensive both in terms of the 40-man roster spot to protect him until he finishes developing, and in terms of salary when he actually becomes productive since he now has 3 years of service time already. We know drafting HS arms is risky, but Burnett is an example of a hidden kind of risk, where some other team stands to gain whatever benefit from your own lengthy investment of time and resources.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    To me, Burnett offers an object lesson in a problem with drafting high school pitchers. He was 17 years old at Elizabethton, and his progression through age through age 21 looked pretty nice. I forget the roster rules but at some point around then he had to be added to the 40-man. Even with all the concerns about his stuff, his record suggests a guy who will have a productive career age 26-30 or so. But a guy drafted young and not progressing faster than that, becomes expensive both in terms of the 40-man roster spot to protect him until he finishes developing, and in terms of salary when he actually becomes productive since he now has 3 years of service time already. We know drafting HS arms is risky, but Burnett is an example of a hidden kind of risk, where some other team stands to gain whatever benefit from your own lengthy investment of time and resources.
    It's 5 years for guys 18 and under when signed, and 4 years for guys 19+ when signed.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Really, we care about this? I guess this answers any question as to whether Swarzak would clear waivers or not. Something I also care little to nothing about.
    I am shocked to see so many comments about mediocre pitcher...he is a back of the pen guy...can be easily replaced...good to open a spot for Ramirez...

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    I lost at least 3 minutes of sleep over it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 473 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I lost at least 3 minutes of sleep over it.
    But were you at all haunted by it during those 3 minutes?
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    But were you at all haunted by it during those 3 minutes?
    Not nearly as haunted as the thought of another sub-5 k/9 season from a reliever.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234