Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is coming up first from Rochester?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,299 Times in 525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    ride with 11 pitchers
    Not going to happen, regardless of staff performance.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

If Mauer can catch 110-120 games, the Twins should be very happy. There is no reason Doumit can catch a minimum of 40 games...he has caught more than that each of the past few years. I would like to see a bench player with a tad more punch than Carroll and Escobar...who are basically the same guy with a 15 year age difference. You already have a triplicate in Mastro, too. When Mauer doesn't catch, he can play first or DH, and the Twins can move Parmlele and Morneau and Willingham with musical chair mixes. The r
    eally only plus Butera had was when you needed that 13th pitcher, which was just once last year.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that if the Twins fall out of contention relatively early, it'd be silly to let Mauer catch 120 games. If they're 12 games out going into August, I'd be fine with them letting Doumit and Butera take the lion's share of reps behind the plate for the remainder.

I'm not on board with any of this "giving up on the season before it starts" business, but at that point preserving Mauer's legs really is more important than winning a few more games.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not on board with giving Drew Butera starts to save Mauer's legs. If the Twins are going to find out who can be Mauer's alternate, they have to find someone who profiles as a better hitter than Butera--within the system they have Fryer, Herrman, Rohlfing and Pinto--even if they have to trade or claim somebody from another organization. IMHO, Drew has proven he can't hit enough to be an alternate catcher--his role is #3 catcher/injury replacement. My gripe about carrying three catchers has been (and remains) that if you have a number three guy, he should be able to do more than just receive, he must be able to play another position or have a potent enough bat to be a pinch hitter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I am not on board with giving Drew Butera starts to save Mauer's legs. If the Twins are going to find out who can be Mauer's alternate, they have to find someone who profiles as a better hitter than Butera--within the system they have Fryer, Herrman, Rohlfing and Pinto--even if they have to trade or claim somebody from another organization. IMHO, Drew has proven he can't hit enough to be an alternate catcher--his role is #3 catcher/injury replacement. My gripe about carrying three catchers has been (and remains) that if you have a number three guy, he should be able to do more than just receive, he must be able to play another position or have a potent enough bat to be a pinch hitter.
    Maybe Butera just needs to work on his pitches, then he could be our third catcher AND 12th pitcher

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think that if the Twins fall out of contention relatively early, it'd be silly to let Mauer catch 120 games. If they're 12 games out going into August, I'd be fine with them letting Doumit and Butera take the lion's share of reps behind the plate for the remainder.

I'm not on board with any of this "giving up on the season before it starts" business, but at that point preserving Mauer's legs really is more important than winning a few more games.
    I'm with you on protecting the value of Mauer, long term.

But-

I would hope that if/when they do give up, Butera is not on the roster, Doumit is traded for something of value and guys like Herrmann and Pinto are getting the lion's share of catching reps going into August and the remainder.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123