Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal: Gardy's Job Prospects

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LastOnePicked View Post
    Gardy's quotes even about the simplest of reasons why the Twins lost a meaningless Spring Training game to the Red Sox today (Minnesota Twins: Eduardo Escobar's base-running blunder irritates Gardenhire - TwinCities.com) are, to me, further proof that he can't keep his emotions in check, and that he hasn't learned that discretion is the better part of valor. Say what you want to the players, Gardy, but shut up to the media -- because you can only make things worse by trying to make yourself look good and your players look bad. Again, though I have some respect, I'm looking forward to his replacement sooner than later.
    Sounds like he's already sized up one of his whipping boys for 2013.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fun revisionist history kind of stuff...

Had Gardy kept Balfour in for another inning and he would have given up runs, there would be some who wondered why Rincon, one of the best 8th inning guys that year, wasn't brought in and why Gardy would still with Balfour who had done very little to that point.

Kubel vs Mariano - did it really matter who hit in that situation vs Rivera?

I find it interesting that we didn't want Kubel to go against Rivera cuz he was a rookie, but at the same time wanted a guy with about 2 months of big league time (Crain) to replaced Joe Nathan.

Baseball is a game full of second-guessable moments. If people are looking for reasons to complain, baseball gives plenty of opportunities!

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
    I don't quite understand this belief that Gardy is bad with young players, I mean he's worked with a lot of young players who later became successful with the team. It seems he gets a lot of flak for being a bit of a straightshooter with some young players who just are not all that good and perhaps don't appreciate the truth.

I know there has been talk of him throwing some younger players under the bus last year and that caused some apparent unrest. I still believe there was not a single young player last year that had earned any right to cop that attitude, they should all feel fortunate to be playing at the major league level at all.

Hope this added to the conversation, hopefully it ups my percentage of non-trolling posts to 61%.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    If the Twins improve this year, why are people so eager to see Gardy fired? The 'he's been here too long, his message is stale' thing is such crap. None of the players on the team were here in 2002. Only 2 or 3 were here in 2007. He's generally shown that can handle young players.

If we lose 99 games again, make a change for the sake of change I guess. But if this team is sniffing .500 and you still want him gone, then you're being unreasonable.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    If the Twins improve this year, why are people so eager to see Gardy fired? .
    Because some of us want the Twins to win the World Series not to "improve" from 99+96. If the Twins lose 90, is that a wonderful improvement?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    All well and good in said article, except this:

And further proof suggesting the difficulty of teaching the old dog new tricks:

As Beradino aptly points out (he is an excellent addition to the Twins beat!), the game has evolved and Gardy clearly is still far behind the curve:

It sounded like Mauer was diplomatic but reading between the lines, was all for the move. In the meantime, Gardy apparently forgets about the Twins 7-time batting champ who primarily batted 2nd and put up 328/393/429/822 for a career. The only thing Mauer can't (shouldn't) do that Carew could do is bunt. His career 323/405/468/873 speaks for itself, and since there is no logical alternative at #2, it's fairly obvious that putting the guy who OPS'd at all of .275 last year and cracked under the pressure (Dozier) should be at the bottom of the order and the best hitters should all move up one place in the lineup.
    Exactly. And these comments coupled with the terrible comments about Escobar and Pelfrey in the game article make me cringe. His first word in response to what a 2-hole hitter should do was "bunt." How terribly stupid is that!?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I don't quite understand this belief that Gardy is bad with young players, I mean he's worked with a lot of young players who later became successful with the team. It seems he gets a lot of flak for being a bit of a straightshooter with some young players who just are not all that good and perhaps don't appreciate the truth.

I know there has been talk of him throwing some younger players under the bus last year and that caused some apparent unrest. I still believe there was not a single young player last year that had earned any right to cop that attitude, they should all feel fortunate to be playing at the major league level at all.

Hope this added to the conversation, hopefully it ups my percentage of non-trolling posts to 61%.
    You troll? To accuse you of that would be absurd. I missed something that is probably not worth looking up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    It sounded like Mauer was diplomatic but reading between the lines, was all for the move. In the meantime, Gardy apparently forgets about the Twins 7-time batting champ who primarily batted 2nd and put up 328/393/429/822 for a career. The only thing Mauer can't (shouldn't) do that Carew could do is bunt. His career 323/405/468/873 speaks for itself, and since there is no logical alternative at #2, it's fairly obvious that putting the guy who OPS'd at all of .275 last year and cracked under the pressure (Dozier) should be at the bottom of the order and the best hitters should all move up one place in the lineup.
    from the story a Mauer quote
    "Whether I'm hitting third or second, I don't know. I don't have the answer right now. I don't need to figure it out."
    That does not hint at "I am for it"

As fpr a Carew/Mauer comparison. Carew was a singles hitter. Mauer has shown more power and more patience in drawing more walks. Not at all the same kind of hitter.

Blog Entries
    Gleeman tweets that Mauer is going to be batting second. Hooray!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hooray, let's give our best hitter with RISP LESS opportunities w/RISP!...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Hooray, let's give our best hitter with RISP LESS opportunities w/RISP!...
    Another Gleeman tweet: "Decades of research shows that teams score more runs when their best hitter bats second."

Do you really believe that he will have fewer opportunities with RISP when he moves UP in the order (getting a several more plate appearances)? How often did he come up with RISP in the first inning last year?

I would take a good chance that either Hicks or Mauer is on base (and sometimes both) for Willingham and Morneau with one or no outs over a poorer chance that Hicks or X is on base and Mauer up with one out.

This just seems a bit obvious, Puck. Do you have info on chances with RISP by position in the order?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    You guys are missing the most frustrating part of the Beradino article for me.

The last paragraph about deciding who will bat second:

"Once we start, I'll make that final decision," Gardenhire says. "I'll sit
    down with my staff and our stat guy and see what that computer spits out, and
    then we'll go from there. If it's coughing, then I'll do it my way."

And before that he dispragingly called Sabrmetrics "Cybermetrics."

This pretty closely echoed what Ryan said this offseason. The team has 1 "stat guy" and in their opinion, his function within the organization is a source of derision and punchlines.

Grow up, this isn't 1980's baseball any longer; it's a multi-billion dollar industry and your competitors are using every tool at thier disposal to come out on top while you shake your head and say their is not room for evolution in MY game.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Another Gleeman tweet: "Decades of research shows that teams score more runs when their best hitter bats second."

Do you really believe that he will have fewer opportunities with RISP when he moves UP in the order (getting a several more plate appearances)? How often did he come up with RISP in the first inning last year?

I would take a good chance that either Hicks or Mauer is on base (and sometimes both) for Willingham and Morneau with one or no outs over a poorer chance that Hicks or X is on base and Mauer up with one out.

This just seems a bit obvious, Puck. Do you have info on chances with RISP by position in the order?
    Gleeman and Wahl for the match!...(especially given the alternatives on the roster for batting second).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

Yes, because in 20-25% of his AB he'll only have, at most, Hicks in front of him...and not necessarily in scoring position cause no one will have had a chance to move him over from 1st if he only got a single and didn't steal. He certainly will never have two guys with RISP in that first AB.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Gleeman and Wahl for the match!...(especially given the alternatives on the roster for batting second).
    I'm glad you think so...

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    You guys are missing the most frustrating part of the Beradino article for me.

The last paragraph about deciding who will bat second:

"Once we start, I'll make that final decision," Gardenhire says. "I'll sit
    down with my staff and our stat guy and see what that computer spits out, and
    then we'll go from there. If it's coughing, then I'll do it my way."

And before that he dispragingly called Sabrmetrics "Cybermetrics."

This pretty closely echoed what Ryan said this offseason. The team has 1 "stat guy" and in their opinion, his function within the organization is a source of derision and punchlines.

Grow up, this isn't 1980's baseball any longer; it's a multi-billion dollar industry and your competitors are using every tool at thier disposal to come out on top while you shake your head and say their is not room for evolution in MY game.
    Exactly what appalled me, as well, a guy whose team is coming off of 2 disastrous seasons is in no position to be sarcastic and condescending.

But then again, maybe Gardy and Ryan are actually on to something-- after all, there is plenty of "room" for fossils in any discussion of "evolution."

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad you think so...
    The stats are pretty convincing, it really doesn't require much additional thought.

Blog Entries
    Yes, you are taking away the first inning from him, but after that?

But what is the overall point? The number of runs produced is what is important. And
    while Mauer has been best with RISP he is also the best at "setting the table." In the first inning, I submit the claim that getting two OBP guys in front of three sluggers (including Doumit) is going to be the best way to generate runs. Think about the benefit of guaranteeing Willingham and Mauer both batting in that first inning. Think about the benefit of getting two sluggers to the plate in the first inning if either a run is already scored or one of the first three batters gets on.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The stats are pretty convincing, it really doesn't require much additional thought.
    If you say so...I'm glad those convince you. My point was he'll have less opps with RISP batting 2nd. What stats show that isn't true?

Blog Entries
    If you say so...I'm glad those convince you. My point was he'll have less opps with RISP batting 2nd. What stats show that isn't true?
    That is not the only factor for the generation of runs for the 2013 Twins!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast