Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rosenthal: Gardy's Job Prospects

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    How did he mishandle Santana? Start him in game one of every series? Pull him after 5 innings on short rest when Santana told him he was out of gas?

Also, Balfour was replaced by Rincon. Had Balfour stayed in it would have been his first outing of three innings that season. Is that something you want to start doing in the playoffs? And Rincon had been lights out all year. This is the ultimate hindsight whine.
    I would expect 8 innings or more out of my ace in an elimination game. I don't care if he only had three days rest. All that goes out the window in the postseason. That's what an ace does. Seems to me a couple guys named Viola and Morris did pretty good on three days rest in some pretty big postseason games.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I challenge the concept that a division title is ever meaningless. And I indicated I was not happy with his playoff record, although I think "abysmal playoff futility of historic proportions" is the kind of rhetoric that detracts from your argument rather than supplements it. It led me to disregard the rest of your post.
    Few if any managers have a worse playoff record. "Historic proportions" is an accurate description.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    I would expect 8 innings or more out of my ace in an elimination game. I don't care if he only had three days rest. All that goes out the window in the postseason. That's what an ace does. Seems to me a couple guys named Viola and Morris did pretty good on three days rest in some pretty big postseason games.
    Viola and Morris.... Boy, how much do you think we'd have to pay to get them signed up for 2013?

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Viola had a pretty amazing run in 1987 and 1988.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Viola had a pretty amazing run in 1987 and 1988.

God.... I would gladly pay out of my own pocket for some '87 Sweet Music right now.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's a shame the way Viola's Twins career ended. Wish he could have been a Twin for life. Then again, you can't hardly argue with getting Tapani and Aguilera in that trade.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a shame the way Viola's Twins career ended. Wish he could have been a Twin for life. Then again, you can't hardly argue with getting Tapani and Aguilera in that trade.
    Not to mention Tim Drummond and Jack Savage. JK
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't forget David West and his World Series ERA of "infinity"!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Speaking of wasting outs and Gardenhire his incessant use of SF bunts fits that to a "T".
    Interesting that the incessant use of SF bunts has landed the Twins in the bottom third for Sacrifice Hits since Gardenhire became manager, only being above the bottom third twice for a season (and never in the top half) and this despite being in the top third for OBP and 2nd in Singles over this stretch. I think instead of "incessant" you meant "rare."

I also wonder why so many people can find the one thing they're looking for in a quote ("OMG, he said 'bunt'!!!") and ignore the multiple times it's come up in the media where Gardenhire has had to explain to a newer player that sac-bunting early in the game wasn't what "we" do here (almost certain it was written about Orlando Hudson and Nishioka very shortly after their respective arrivals...I'll go out on a limb there have been plenty of other times that weren't reported).

Carry on.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget David West and his World Series ERA of "infinity"!
    I had just forgotten, particularly the Braves' fans chant of "briiiing... in David West", and now you go and remind me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 84 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Interesting that the incessant use of SF bunts has landed the Twins in the bottom third for Sacrifice Hits since Gardenhire became manager, only being above the bottom third twice for a season (and never in the top half) and this despite being in the top third for OBP and 2nd in Singles over this stretch. I think instead of "incessant" you meant "rare."

I also wonder why so many people can find the one thing they're looking for in a quote ("OMG, he said 'bunt'!!!") and ignore the multiple times it's come up in the media where Gardenhire has had to explain to a newer player that sac-bunting early in the game wasn't what "we" do here (almost certain it was written about Orlando Hudson and Nishioka very shortly after their respective arrivals...I'll go out on a limb there have been plenty of other times that weren't reported).

Carry on.
    The fact that Gardy rarely bunts makes it even more of a mistake to use that as a consideration for who should bat 2nd, not less.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 310 Times in 185 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He rarely steals too.

I agree with Rosenthal that Gardy would find a job in no time. I'm not so certain that his time in Minnesota hasn't come to an end.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    He rarely steals too.

I agree with Rosenthal that Gardy would find a job in no time. I'm not so certain that his time in Minnesota hasn't come to an end.
    Agreed.
    Hell, Tubby found a new job before we have even found his replacement, and Tubby is not ANY good.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aside: Tubby is good, and it is embarrassing for the Gophers to have not found a coach before the guy they fired was hired.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Aside: Tubby is good, and it is embarrassing for the Gophers to have not found a coach before the guy they fired was hired.
    No, being good is not like being Pope or Supreme Court Justice, it's not something you attain for life.
    He had 6 full seasons here and couldnt manage a winning record in conference once, and won exactly 1 NCAA tournament game.
    I guess it depends on what context you are putting him in. Compared to me, or my Aunt Judy, I suppose he's good. But considering his "name recognition", and his salary demands, he's at best mediocre, and even that takes some creativity to support.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Tubby's teams in his previous job got worse and worse. He finished in the bottom of the conference every year here, pretty much. what makes you think he's good, exactly?

As for Gardy, let's see what happens this year. I have little doubt that he and Ryan are stuck in a past of gut feel and "Twins way" that has been passed by in the last 10+ years by teams embracing math and analytics to develop optimal strategies. (funny, I assume those of you that hate that in baseball, love it when it comes to bulding airplanes and running normal businesses) But, I'm willing to wait and see if things are actually changing or not. But if the small things look like yesterday, and he picks on young players in public, and he puts bad hitters in the 2 hole, and he uses the bullpen in a 1990s way, well, then its likely not much has change record wise, or growth wise, and then I'll criticize Gardy and Ryan.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345