Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: We're not quite the Mariners!

  1. #1

    We're not quite the Mariners!

    Rallying cry for the season.

    http://i.imgur.com/yN12NPK.jpg

    Courtesy of r/baseball.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Double-A zenser's Avatar
    Posts
    147
    Like
    6
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    ARod makes more than the Astros.

  3. #3
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,674
    Like
    32
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    It's a little shocking to see the Dodgers above the Yankees. I knew it was coming but still, shocking to see someone other than the Yanks riding the top of the list.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A amjgt's Avatar
    Posts
    333
    Like
    13
    Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    At least the M's have an ace

  5. #5
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    158
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    New ballpark and already bottom third in payroll, with nearly a third of that going to a singles hitting part time catcher.

  6. #6
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,097
    Like
    367
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    New ballpark and already bottom third in payroll, with nearly a third of that going to a singles hitting part time catcher.
    Give em time, they should be in the bottom quintile by as early as next season.

  7. #7
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,674
    Like
    32
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    with nearly a third of that going to a singles hitting part time catcher.
    Who also happens to be a top five (or at least top ten) hitter in baseball.

  8. #8
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    158
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Who also happens to be a top five (or at least top ten)
    hitter in baseball.
    He's a good hitter, but do you honestly believe he's a top 10 hitter? Sure, he'll always finish top 10 in the batting race, but that doesnt make him a top 10 hitter!

  9. #9
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,674
    Like
    32
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    He's a good hitter, but do you honestly believe he's a top 10 hitter? Sure, he'll always finish top 10 in the batting race, but that doesnt make him a top 10 hitter!
    On Base Percentage is more important than Slugging Percentage (not making an out is the most important thing a hitter can do). Once you properly weight OBP against slugging, Mauer is absolutely a top ten hitter. No question.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    3,310
    Like
    688
    Liked 767 Times in 480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    On Base Percentage is more important than Slugging Percentage (not making an out is the most important thing a hitter can do). Once you properly weight OBP against slugging, Mauer is absolutely a top ten hitter. No question.
    I guess for Mauer to be good in some people's minds he can never make an out and must hit a home run at every at bat and must carry the team to victory every time despite the 'weaknesses' around him. Yeah, ok, a bit over the top, but I seriously fail to understand anyone's anti-Mauer arguments.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,296
    Like
    1,351
    Liked 1,031 Times in 468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    I guess for Mauer to be good in some people's minds he can never make an out and must hit a home run at every at bat and must carry the team to victory every time despite the 'weaknesses' around him. Yeah, ok, a bit over the top, but I seriously fail to understand anyone's anti-Mauer arguments.
    I don't know about some people, but in my mind I don't think it's too much to expect a HR once a week.

  12. #12
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    158
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Im not anti-mauer! I think he's great. But he's paid to put up 2009 numbers. That's what got him that contract. I dont expect him to duplicate that season, but for god's sake atleast try to turn on a ball with authority once in a while. His entire focus seems to be his batting average. Im not hating on him. I just expect more. He's still one of my favorites.

  13. #13
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,674
    Like
    32
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    Im not anti-mauer! I think he's great. But he's paid to put up 2009 numbers. That's what got him that contract. I dont expect him to duplicate that season, but for god's sake atleast try to turn on a ball with authority once in a while. His entire focus seems to be his batting average. Im not hating on him. I just expect more. He's still one of my favorites.
    I blame Target Field, not Mauer. The park just isn't suited for his skillset without a drastic re-tooling of his approach (which I'm sure would lead to a significant drop in average and on-base percentage).

    Six of one, half dozen of the other. What's more valuable? 10 more homers or .040 of OBP?

  14. #14
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    158
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont even care about HR's. I'd just like to see him hit more gappers and rbi's. HR's are overrated.

  15. #15
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,674
    Like
    32
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    I dont even care about HR's. I'd just like to see him hit more gappers and rbi's. HR's are overrated.
    Mauer is an extremely good hitter with runners on base. He converts plenty of runners into RBI... But he needs runners on base in front of him to do it.

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    158
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Mauer is an extremely good hitter with runners o
    n base. He converts plenty of runners into RBI...
    His statistics dont support that.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,609
    Like
    32
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    RBIs lol

  19. #19
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,674
    Like
    32
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    His statistics dont support that.
    His career OPS with men on base: .921

    His career OPS with bases empty: .830

  20. #20
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,674
    Like
    32
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    RBIs lol
    Now that I know you're on the forum, how have you resisted the temptation to yell MARK DE ROSA in the thread "Players You Would Like the Twins to Sign/Claim"?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.