Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're not quite the Mariners!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's a little shocking to see the Dodgers above the Yankees. I knew it was coming but still, shocking to see someone other than the Yanks riding the top of the list.
    The Yankees will do whatever is necessary to get below the 189M luxury tax threshold next year. It will be interesting to see if they can stay the course and not sign anyone after what looks to be a dreadfully awful season for them. Youk is their 2nd best hitter until Granderson/Tex returns.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
    Now that I know you're on the forum, how have you resisted the temptation to yell MARK DE ROSA in the thread "Players You Would Like the Twins to Sign/Claim"?
    Ha!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    It depends on if you count money to starting pitchers in the minor leagues relearning how to pitch again once they are healthy.
    The other way to put it would be the total for contracts on the major league roster versus total for all major league contracts. Semantics on how you want to make things look.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Cross View Post
    His statistics dont support that.
    His statistics absolutely support that

I'm going to love seeing the Dodgers number go a lot higher next year too. Kershaw is going to be making stupid money.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His statistics dont support that.
    Except for all of his...ummm...actual statistics.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    His statistics absolutely support that
    Funny, it's so easy to twist statistics to make them say whatever you want them to say. When I said statistics, I was referring to his rbi totals, which except for 2009 have been embarrassingly low for a #3 hitter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Funny, it's so easy to twist statistics to make them say whatever you want them to say. When I said statistics, I was referring to his rbi totals, which except for 2009 have been embarrassingly low for a #3 hitter.
    RBI totals, by themselves, tell you nothing. The way he hits with runners on base and the way he hits with RISP tell the story. There's no way to twist those....they are how they are.

Willingham with RISP last year: .287/.424/.535 in 205 plate appearances. 8 HR/73 RBI/46Ks

Mauer with RISP last year: .372/.500/.514 in 192 plate appearances. 3 HR/72 RBI/22Ks

Who did better with RISP? Mauer did...even with Josh having an overall career year for him.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 04-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All in all, I still like Joe Mauer. I just expect more. I want numbers similar to what he put up in 2009. That's what he's getting paid to do. That's what got him his monster contract. How is this so hard for some people to grasp?

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    RBI totals, by themselves, tell you nothing.
    Now I know you're screwing with me. And I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Stupid me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Now I know you're screwing with me. And I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Stupid me.
    Not screwing with you in the least. BTW, notice I'm not the only one saying it...and I like how you ignored the comparison to Willingham...
    Last edited by ThePuck; 04-02-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Span and Revere would not be elite when it comes to OBP. There has to be someone on base to get an RBI

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    All in all, I still like Joe Mauer. I just expect more. I want numbers similar to what he put up in 2009. That's what he's getting paid to do. That's what got him his monster contract. How is this so hard for some people to grasp?
    How do you know that's why he got the contract he did? Think the Twins brass was stupid enough to believe he was a HR hitter after all previous seasons showed other-wise. There's more to the game than HR and there's many reasons why a player is given the contract he's given. For example, Mauer being the hometown boy done good...in other words, he's a draw for crowd...a money producer.

1st catcher to lead the major in BA
    1st AL catcher to get a batting title (now three times)
    1st catcher to lead the AL in BA/OBP/OPS and 1st player to do it in almost 30 years at the time he did it.
    Highest BA for a MLB catcher ever...and highest BA for a Twins in over 30 years.

You think it was about one season? He was gonna get paid even if he didn't hit the HRs...which is really the only thing truly way out of norm for him

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Span and Revere would not be elite when it comes to OBP. There has to be someone on base to get an RBI
    And over the years, even worse guys in the 2 spot than Revere...your Puntos, Tolberts, Casillas, etc...

not to mention the 9 spot.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
    On Base Percentage is more important than Slugging Percentage (not making an out is the most important thing a hitter can do). Once you properly weight OBP against slugging, Mauer is absolutely a top ten hitter. No question.
    I can understand that a high obp is a good thing. But in obp a walk is the same as a 3 run homer? If that is correct imo that makes the "more important" in this quote questionable.
    Player a walks twice and goes 0-2 = obp .500 correct.
    Player b hits a 3 run homer and goes 1-4 .250 obp correct. which is more important?
    Please correct me if i'm wrong!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not screwing with you in the least. BTW, notice I'm not the only one saying
    it...and I like how you ignored the comparison to Willingham...
    I haven't seen the willingham comparison, but didn't he go for 35 and 100? There is no comparison. BTW, I'm not a stats geek. I'm old school. I just pretty much go by what I see with my own two eyes when I'm watching the game. All of these new age stats are silly. The only stats I look at are OBP for the table setters, and rbi's for middle of the order guys.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 325 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I can understand that a high obp is a good thing. But in obp a walk is the same as a 3 run homer? If that is correct imo that makes the "more important" in this quote questionable.
    Player b hits a 3 run homer and goes 1-4 .250 obp correct. which is more important?
    Thankyou! I haven't had the time or inclination to get into this again, this early in the season.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 225 Posts
    and rbi's for middle of the order guys.
    Even lousy hitters will accumulate a bunch of RBI if they hit behind high-OBP players.

RBI, without the help of significant context, is useless for player evaluation.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I haven't seen the willingham comparison, but didn't he go for 35 and 100? There is no comparison. BTW, I'm not a stats geek. I'm old school. I just pretty much go by what I see with my own two eyes when I'm watching the game. All of these new age stats are silly. The only stats I look at are OBP for the table setters, and rbi's for middle of the order guys.
    Willingham with RISP last year: .287/.424/.535 in 205 plate appearances. 8 HR/73 RBI/46Ks

Mauer with RISP last year: .372/.500/.514 in 192 plate appearances. 3 HR/72 RBI/22Ks

Who did better with RISP? Mauer did...even with Josh having an overall career year for him.

p.s. These aren't new age stats.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    They're not the same. But remember that Slugging goes to 4.000 while OBP goes to 1.000. They are not judged on the same scale and without getting into complex math, I think it's pretty easy to understand that when you're dealing with 4,000 possible points of slugging and 1,000 points of OBP, that .001 OBP does not equal .001 SLG.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast