Thread: Student Night / standing room experiences at Target Field?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

Student Night / standing room experiences at Target Field?

Curious if anyone here has done the half-price "Student Night" standing room tickets on Wednesdays at Target Field? Or any standing room tickets in general at Target Field?

They are available at the Twins box office on game day, and I'm guessing that student tickets are more limited as standing room only than at the Dome, when they were in the always-plentiful upper deck general admission seats.

How early do you think one has to arrive to score these tickets on a student night? Would game time be good enough? Or gates open? I'm assuming non-marquee games here (not Yankees, Red Sox, or Brewers). Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I have stood for a game....wear good shoes. Walk around a lot. That's my only advice.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike -- it seems I wind up doing that for most sporting events I attend anyway. I like to move around a lot.

When did you get the tickets? I am curious if they generally sell out, and if so, how quickly. I suppose I could call the box office to check, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to pony up $10 or whatever for the cheapest reserved seat or a scalped ticket, but hey, I'm cheap.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
    Silver linings to the fact that the Twins aren't winning much these days: standing room tickets aren't really standing room anymore. In fact, after a couple innings, the ushers don't even check ticket stubs on the field level 100s (though they always seem to when you get very close to the dugouts, but that's a separate section). I've used the tickets - that I do pay for - to get in and just moved myself up on uncrowded days.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Agreed with 70charger, you should easily be able to sit after a couple of innings. I have never bought the student standing seats, I can't recall why I had SRO tickets one time.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bought SRO tix at the gate 5 mins before game time on a Saturday last year, so I would think on most Wednesdays, you will be able do it. There are so many good sight lines, its a great cheap way to get in the door and as others have mentioned, there will be plenty of openings around mid-game when you can sit.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I have season tickets and stand at most of the games. I find it to be a more enjoyable experience and outside of big days (like opening) you can leave and find another spot.

The problem with SR is that only some of the standing spots have a ledge of sorts that you can put food, drink, programs, etc on. Maybe are just a guard rail, which stinks.

If you trike out on the lower level after walking the whole floor, often times you'll have better luck on floors 2 or 3, but most games you'll be able to find a place just fine.

3rd level right behind home plate in the bar has been our favorite standing place before we had season tickets. On a colder night it is even better, the room is warm but if u get up front near the windows that they open up..it was perfect. We got there about an hour before, but that was two and three years ago when itgot busier.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcrose3636 View Post
    3rd level right behind home plate in the bar has been our favorite standing place before we had season tickets. On a colder night it is even better, the room is warm but if u get up front near the windows that they open up..it was perfect. We got there about an hour before, but that was two and three years ago when itgot busier.
    kieran paid to have that named the 2 gingers bar last year. If you can get a window spot that bar is ok, but like most key locations you have to make that your goal and get there early to nab one. It is also very hot in there, which is not fun once things warm up outside