Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Rosters

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Might want to fix "Orlando" to "Oswaldo" instead. Thanks for posting these. Again some strange decisions. Morales not in NB?? Maybe the push Williams or even Jimenez up to FM once Kepler is good? Then Morales could move up, Roberts when back can join NB, Bigley could go to AAA and they can say BYE-BYE to the nonsense filler that is Clete Thomas??????? Thomas is totally redundant with Brandon Boggs, after all. At least Boggs could be a legitimate fill-in for the Twins if things broke down there.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Max Kepler didn't make the Cedar Rapids roster?

Bard, Chargois, and Berrios didn't make Cedar Rapids?

Is it a "limit innings issue" or ability?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Berrios is getting some innings and stretching out before going to Cedar Rapids. Due to the WBC, he couldnl't really stretch out and the Twins definitely want him to start.

Bard is also going to be brought along slowly after fighting injuries throughout 2012. He'll be a starter, but will most likely start in the bullpen and work his way up to starting.

Chargois also was hurt some last year and they'll be cautious with his very strong arm.

Kepler has an elbow/forearm injury that they are going to be cautious with and keep him in ft. myers for a little bit.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Might want to fix "Orlando" to "Oswaldo" instead. Thanks for posting these. Again some strange decisions. Morales not in NB?? Maybe the push Williams or even Jimenez up to FM once Kepler is good? Then Morales could move up, Roberts when back can join NB, Bigley could go to AAA and they can say BYE-BYE to the nonsense filler that is Clete Thomas??????? Thomas is totally redundant with Brandon Boggs, after all. At least Boggs could be a legitimate fill-in for the Twins if things broke down there.
    Fixed. I'm sure his younger brother would love to be in AAA.

It's a big year for Morales, and he knows it. Nothing about his 2012 screams for him to move up to AA. Hopefully he can get off to a fast start and earn a promotion. I agree, in general, that there are just a lot of old, veteran types that will likely make Rochester better. I'm good with keeping prospects at the right level, instead of going too fast, but I think there are a few that just make no sense. Bigley and Lanigan are the two that I just don't get.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish the Twins would be aggressive and put Rosario, Sano, Berrios & Vargas in AA NB . They can always send them back down if they can't hit. AA is better than A for learning how to field. better ballparks = less bad bounces. Berrios has been facing AA quality pitching in winter ball and WBC.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    I wish the Twins would be aggressive and put Rosario, Sano, Berrios & Vargas in AA NB . They can always send them back down if they can't hit. AA is better than A for learning how to field. better ballparks = less bad bounces. Berrios has been facing AA quality pitching in winter ball and WBC.
    I don't agree. It's just too risky. Look at the way Guerra and Gomez developed after being rushed. Let them earn their promotions. If they dominate a level, bring them up. Until then, let them learn the finer points of the game when the pressure is off.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    What's the rush? And learning how to field doesn't have much to do with the ballpark. I'm sure the majority of the things they're learning is from reps and coaching pre-game, not what happens during actual play (where they'll only get 5-6 opportunities a night to flash the glove).

And Berrios should be nowhere near AA. He shouldn't even be in high A at this point. The kid has pitched all of 30 innings. Let's be reasonable here.

The low minors aren't only about the competition. It's also about the shortened seasons, fewer games per week, and ability to take these kids aside and teach them how to play the game.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2 years in a row that I am really excited to watch Cedar Rapids (Beloit). There is a lot of promise there.

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Bigley and Lanigan are the two that I just don't get.
    I don't mind AA too much for these two. The Twins have shown they don't value AAA a ton more than AA.

Playing in AA allows Bigley to lead the OF instead of battling Boggs/Thomas for PT. Not that those two are better prospects, but the Twins probably want them playing to be options to call up as injury fillers.

Similarly, playing in AA allows Lanigan to be a top option in the pen instead of being the 4th/5th reliever at AAA.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So Rosario was listed as an outfielder on the MILB.com roster but he's probably still pegged for 2B (Seth has him listed as an infielder here).

However, that leaves only 4 OF including Kvasnicka, so maybe the Twins don't have any catching plans for him? In hindsight, that would be a slightly odd trade if it wasn't for catching depth -- Kvasnicka has an almost impossible hill to climb if has to provide value as a corner player rather than catcher.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Fixed. I'm sure his younger brother would love to be in AAA.

It's a big year for Morales, and he knows it. Nothing about his 2012 screams for him to move up to AA. Hopefully he can get off to a fast start and earn a promotion. I agree, in general, that there are just a lot of old, veteran types that will likely make Rochester better. I'm good with keeping prospects at the right level, instead of going too fast, but I think there are a few that just make no sense. Bigley and Lanigan are the two that I just don't get.
    I know Morales doesn't deserve a promotion, but there is some history will low performance (Hicks, probably others) at Fort Myers and then a jump with the jump to New Britain. He is just kinda stagnating right there.

I would be actually upset if I were Bigley. He deserves a chance to prove himself at AAA (even though I have nothing against Ramirez and Boggs, it might be nice to have another option).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I don't agree. It's just too risky. Look at the way Guerra and Gomez developed after being rushed. Let them earn their promotions. If they dominate a level, bring them up. Until then, let them learn the finer points of the game when the pressure is off.
    And Delmon Young.

I really don't like the idea of demoting a player, especially after promoting them too fast in the first place.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    So Rosario was listed as an outfielder on the MILB.com roster but he's probably still pegged for 2B (Seth has him listed as an infielder here).

However, that leaves only 4 OF including Kvasnicka, so maybe the Twins don't have any catching plans for him? In hindsight, that would be a slightly odd trade if it wasn't for catching depth -- Kvasnicka has an almost impossible hill to climb if has to provide value as a corner player rather than catcher.
    Perhaps they have him pegged for a super utility role down the road. They have done this with Hermann and Rohlfing. In the era of 12 pitchers, it's nice to have a backup catcher who can fill in at other positions as well.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Correct! Way too much bad can happen when a player is rushed. Those are two great examples. Gomez turned out alright... 4-5 years later!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post

The Twins are committed to Rosario at 2B. He'll still likely get a game every week or ten days in the outfield, but they want him to be at 2B.

Kvasnicka was a first-round pick just a couple of years ago. They gave up very little to get him. He's "one of us." He has power. There's no risk in the deal. At worst, we have to remember that all four teams need 4-5 outfielders, and having some catching depth is always good.

Very disappointed Meyer and May not in Rochester--I thought when we traded Revere and Span for them, they would be part of the 2014 pitching staff--but they are not in Rochester. I think they need to be facing AAA hitters this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Very disappointed Meyer and May not in Rochester--I thought when we traded Revere and Span for them, they would be part of the 2014 pitching staff--but they are not in Rochester. I think they need to be facing AAA hitters this year.

See above posts about Rosario, Sano and Berrios. You will ruin them. Go easy and let them show they should be there. It has been proven that sink or swim does not work because if they sink it is very hard to resurface.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    The probably will be facing AAA hitters this year sometime. May walked a ton at AA last year, so it's wise to let him start there. He could move up quickly if he shows control.

Meyer played A ball last year. He only got a handful of starts in High-A and yet the Twins pushed him to AA.

Both of them could pitch with the Twins late in 2013.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast