Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Glen Perkins and the modern pitcher

@OverTheBaggy

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Parker. Fun to read that we aren't the only ones obsessing about stats.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was a great article. I think that Bannister was kind of the first one to talk about advanced stats and thinking through what he did on the mound. I know that Max Scherzer is another one who acknowledges that he jumps into the stats. I'm really glad that you got some time one-on-one with Perkins and were able to answer these kinds of questions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 181 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice work, Parker! Fun read.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 809 Times in 438 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic article, Parker.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,294 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great to see athletes not being immediately dismissive of this. I wonder who most influenced him, in accepting an analytic POV.

I remember Glenn Gostick going over his hand-typed sheets of stats at the local SABR confab in the '80s. In every generation, there are always at least a few trying to do this. Maybe it's gaining more traction.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 216 Times in 148 Posts
    Nicely written, great interview.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glen Perkins is going to be my new favorite Twin since Denard was traded. Let's see a sub 3 ERA, lots of Ks, and saves!!

Liked 404 Times in 207 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Glen Perkins is going to be my new favorite Twin since Denard was traded. Let's see a sub 3 ERA, lots of Ks, and saves!!
    Settle for a win instead?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Sorry to rain on the parade, but if he sustains a pitching-level like today's outing he will be gone by July.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the big problem with f/x data and grading umps based on this, is that the plate has depth. Like Perkins said, where umps miss his strikes is when they catch the front part of the plate and the catcher doesn't end up catching the ball behind the plate. I wonder if f/x data really reflects the depth of the plate. I know that the ball/strike stuff that annoucers use doesn't always seem to reflect that. I know that some people here talk about framing pitches, but where the ball is caught doesn't always reflect where the ball was when/or if it crossed the plate.

I know umpires are being graded on their ball and strike calls. I hope that the data used isn't based on where the ball is caught.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Settle for a win instead?
    I was happy with that

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This was a fantastic read!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    I think that the big problem with f/x data and grading umps based on this, is that the plate has depth. Like Perkins said, where umps miss his strikes is when they catch the front part of the plate and the catcher doesn't end up catching the ball behind the plate. I wonder if f/x data really reflects the depth of the plate. I know that the ball/strike stuff that annoucers use doesn't always seem to reflect that. I know that some people here talk about framing pitches, but where the ball is caught doesn't always reflect where the ball was when/or if it crossed the plate.

I know umpires are being graded on their ball and strike calls. I hope that the data used isn't based on where the ball is caught.
    Pitch F/x tracks where the ball crosses the plate.
    It's incredibly accurate. Within 1/2", and 1 mph at most ballparks.
    Here is a good link with data measuring it's accuracy at each ballpark. (And this report is almost 2 years old, they are constantly tweaking it for accuracy, so it's safe to assume that it's even more accurate today.)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=13109
    Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 04-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post

Yes it does. Pitch F/X rules a pitch a strike when the ball crosses any part of the plate in the zone.