Thread: DeVries Day to Day

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries

DeVries Day to Day

Have the Twins learned?

They need to put DeVries on the DL and bring someone up. Otherwise he will have a short start or won't be able to go. Then they will spot start someone like Duensing who isn't stretched out. the bullpen will be overworked and an extra pitcher will be needed.

They only risk one start by putting him on the DL. Diamond is in line to take the start following Sunday.

According to Mike Berardino, Ryan doesn't want to discuss contingency plans. I hope it's the discussion part and not the planning part that he is avoiding.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pedro Hernandez is Roc's starter on Sunday. He'd be the guy.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like the Twins might get a rainout or two on the road trip. They may not need a fifth starter until Diamond is ready to go. Adding Walters would be a problem because he's not on the 40-man. I suppose the Twins could recall Hernandez for one start.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind seeing Hernandez, if it comes to that. His K:BB rate in the minors intrigues me a bit, even if I don't expect huge things from him.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Have the Twins learned?

They need to put DeVries on the DL and bring someone up. Otherwise he will have a short start or won't be able to go. Then they will spot start someone like Duensing who isn't stretched out. the bullpen will be overworked and an extra pitcher will be needed.

They only risk one start by putting him on the DL. Diamond is in line to take the start following Sunday.

According to Mike Berardino, Ryan doesn't want to discuss contingency plans. I hope it's the discussion part and not the planning part that he is avoiding.
    De Vries isn't scheduled to pitch until Sunday so there is no rush to DL him. They can wait to see how his bullpen session on Friday goes. If they have to they can DL him on Saturday and call up Hernandez or the could even activate Diamond.

It's not like he is an everyday player and they are playing shorthanded.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another thing that needs to be noted, is that the Twins are in Baltimore that day, so the trip from Rochester (if needed) is trivial.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Are the Twins planning for the best Rochester option? Is Hernandez stretched out or is he using his early AAA starts to get stretched out? On the 40 man, why not Gibson? Outside the 40 man, they could have planned for Walters.

Are they planning or just hoping? DeVries arm trouble isn't recent news. They should have set up Rochester with the plan in mind. Did they?

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are they planning or just hoping? DeVries arm trouble isn't recent news. They should have set up Rochester with the plan in mind. Did they?
    Yes they are planning. Hernandez is the best option in Rochester right now. Gibson is not ready and Walters still needs time to build arm strength and endurance (When I watched him in the last game he started for the Twins in ST he went close to 3 innings and was pitching 85 mph FBs. Not good.)

Actually the De Vries situation is kinda recent news. He had a good pen late in ST and just the other day he had some issues that made the Twins push him back to Sunday (the day that Rodriguez is scheduled to pitch for the Red Wings) Plus the Orioles are loaded with lefties and switch hitters, so a lefty makes more sense.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I think he was pulled March 29. Plenty of time to arrange the Rochester rotation. Maybe Hernandez has been the plan. Your rationale makes sense. I would have appreciated a comment from Ryan indicating a plan rather than the one he gave to Mike Berardino.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he was pulled March 29. Plenty of time to arrange the Rochester rotation. Maybe Hernandez has been the plan. Your rationale makes sense. I would have appreciated a comment from Ryan indicating a plan rather than the one he gave to Mike Berardino.
    Maybe he didn't want to tip the opposition in advance as to what move he would make, if it became an issue.