Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best thing about the win

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries

Best thing about the win

The scrubs: Dozier, Carroll, and Escobar accounted for the runs created. That actually is a good sign as the top of the order is not going to continue to look like it is the beginning of March instead of April. Even Mauer out of those three at the top is acting like he has never seen a breaking ball.

I am sure this was covered elsewhere, but I am amazed that Carroll was the pinch runner and Escobar the pinch hitter. Escobar DOES have that potential to smack the ball far, though. The Tigers OF was simply not expecting that.

Also, cheers to Wilkin Ramirez, the vilified one, for that weird double.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I see that Escobar was originally a PR. That's fine.

Blog Entries
    This is the value of having a good bench. Naysayers about the 24th and 25th spots on the roster . . . . stifle. That is a win produced right there. WAR be damned. One win produced by the end of the roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am super pumped that Escobar hit them in with a good double. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but he's got to make an impact right away or else he'll end up being nothing more than the defensive replacement for Florimon's PH late in the game and he's worth a whole lot more to the team than that. Glad to see he's showing it.

And hey, isn't it nice to have a bench that's actually useful in a close game? Granted, it could always be better, but it's certainly improved from years past.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Ok, I see that Escobar was originally a PR. That's fine.
    Actually, he came in as a defensive sub after Ramirez batted for Florimon in the 7th

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am sure this was covered elsewhere, but I am amazed that Carroll was the pinch runner and Escobar the pinch hitter.
    To be fair Escobar was a defensive replacement once Ramirez pinch hit. We were all surprised that Carroll pinch ran, and Gardy left Escobar to potentially hit--that said, Escobar did have a good Spring, and well, he did exactly what he was supposed to in that situation.

Honestly, Gardy's management of the bench and bullpen has been stellar; I'm not sure I would have done one thing differently. Maybe Gardy is actually adjusting his strategy based on convincing data, which would frankly be amazing, a goddamn boon.

Liked 2,184 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Blog Entries
    25 man roster... Play em all... You never know who will be Escobar in a given day.

If you are good enough to play in the majors... You are good enough to do something good every once in awhile.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Honestly, Gardy's management of the bench and bullpen has been stellar; I'm not sure I would have done one thing differently. Maybe Gardy is actually adjusting his strategy based on convincing data, which would frankly be amazing, a goddamn boon.
    I thought Gardy's use of the bullpen in the walk-off victory was well done, however in the first game I would have liked to see better use when the Twins were down just 1 run. Hindsight is always 20-20, and while I'm no Gardy appologist, I am a fan of his work and the small sample size this season seems to suggest better management of the roster. While I am not a fan of Escobar, he came up big today, and having him instead of Butera on the roster is a plus; today that payed dividends.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    however in the first game I would have liked to see better use when the Twins were down just 1 run.
    Not trying to be contentious, but the run of criticism was a result of Mauer's passed ball, though Roenicke's nervousness didn't help (Roenicke did manage the next inning cleaningly).

My point isn't so much that Gardy's management has been without flaw--rather it seems to me that Gardy is proactively managing in a way that he has not in the past. Maybe I'm eager, but it's difficult for me not to connect Mauer hitting second, the pinching hitting before the 8th inning, and the various substitutions for runners and defense late in the game--maybe there's not a pattern there, but I hope our old dog manager has learned some new, prudent tricks. After all, he's trying to keep his job.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as reading much into a possible new and improved gardy, let's hold judgement until we see getaway lineup.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,492 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    His bench management has been excellent. Bullpen? Eh, I'm not convinced about that.

But it hasn't been enough for me to complain about, either. Overall, I'm happy with all the managin' Gardy has been doing in the first two games.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was happy to see him use the big guns despite being down a run. There are guys around the league, Fredi Gonzalez comes to mind, that won't do that.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I was happy to see him use the big guns despite being down a run. There are guys around the league, Fredi Gonzalez comes to mind, that won't do that.
    Eh, I viewed that more as "they need to get some work" than a change in philosophy.

But hey, I welcome the change if the latter is the case.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I missed the end of the game, but my first thought when looking over how the game ended was "the piranhas are back".

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Overuse? I don't speak in reverential terms about it (like Dick of Dickbert), but I don't think you want to wear out your top bullpen guys by bringing them in every time the team is within two runs in the seventh inning. Ideally, Perkins and Burton should pitch between 55 and 60 games each. They will likely pitch two and sometimes three days in a row at some point, but both guys have had arm problems before, so they shouldn't be pushed too much.

I wonder if that is why some guys with great stuff (Albuquerque of the Tiggers comes to mind) aren't closers, because their arms aren't resiliant enough to come back three and four days in a row.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I'll give Gardy +1 on that win. And it could be the biggest win of the year. We need to stay close in April. I really wouldn't have been surprised to see us start 0-6, but that's past us now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    1st time in the last three seasons we've been at .500 or better.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two things to add:

- If Butera was still on the 25-man roster, this comeback would had not happen
    - If Scottie and/or Stevie were still the 3B coach, they would had pulled the stop sign on Dozier and he would not had scored. Encouraging to see that Vavra is sending runners in aggressively and I hope it continues. (During ST the games I watched this was not the case.)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    - If Scottie and/or Stevie were still the 3B coach, they would had pulled the stop sign on Dozier and he would not had scored. Encouraging to see that Vavra is sending runners in aggressively and I hope it continues. (During ST the games I watched this was not the case.)
    Without knowing any of the men personally, it seems to me that Vavra is just better at his job (whatever it may be) than most of the coaches that have surrounded him over the years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Without knowing any of the men personally, it seems to me that Vavra is just better at his job (whatever it may be) than most of the coaches that have surrounded him over the years.
    Hahahaha, this made me laugh so much. After one game, Vavra is a better third base coach because he waved a runner home. Anyone would have done that. Anyway, for me, the best thing about yesterdays win was the performance of Kevin C. Sure he doesn't have dominant stuff, but a lot of haters at Twinsdaily had to have felt like jackasses after that performance against the best offense in baseball. KC 1, TD-0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast