Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins release Zumaya

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok, here's my understanding of the 40 man roster thing. If you are on the 15-day DL, you still count as being on the 40 man roster. If you are on the 60-day DL, you do not. After releasing Zumaya, the Twins have 38 men on their 40 man roster.

Keeping those slots open is important for several reasons right now:

#1: I believe the Twins have first crack on ANY player that's sent through waivers, and if they claim someone they have to put him on the 40 man

#2: If the Twins grab a free agent or swing a trade for an IF utility guy, they'll need to put him on the 40-man right away

#3: There are a lot of guys who we might want up with Twins who aren't currently on the 40-man, including: Dozier, Florimon, Chang, Hollimon, Burroughs, Towles, Dinkelman and Gibson.

It's a lot easier to cut Zumaya now, rather than risk trying to pass a guy through waivers later.

I believe this move allows Zumaya to rehab when and where he wants. This way he doesn't need to consult with Twins doctors throughout the rehab. Zumaya may opt to not attempt to return to MLB. I know he stated he would like to, but perhaps the guy wants an arm that can lift a gallon of milk in 10 years or play catch with his kids. Twins took a shot, let's move on. Go luck Joel.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    @travistwinstalk: This is not a bad PR move as he was going to make $400K (or $450k what ever it is) the moment he got injured whether the Twins cut him or placed him on the 60-day DL. He would only make the $850k if he was on the opening day active roster. Since he was injured, there was no way for him to make the opening day roster.

Zumaya signed with the Twins as they were the only team that would offer him a major league contract. Every other team offered him a minor league contract with at ST invite.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Ok, here's my understanding of the 40 man roster thing. If you are on the 15-day DL, you still count as being on the 40 man roster. If you are on the 60-day DL, you do not. After releasing Zumaya, the Twins have 38 men on their 40 man roster.

Keeping those slots open is important for several reasons right now:

#1: I believe the Twins have first crack on ANY player that's sent through waivers, and if they claim someone they have to put him on the 40 man

#2: If the Twins grab a free agent or swing a trade for an IF utility guy, they'll need to put him on the 40-man right away

#3: There are a lot of guys who we might want up with Twins who aren't currently on the 40-man, including: Dozier, Florimon, Chang, Hollimon, Burroughs, Towles, Dinkelman and Gibson.

It's a lot easier to cut Zumaya now, rather than risk trying to pass a guy through waivers later.
    #4: One of the open slots is going to go to Jared Burton.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll blow out my elbow for 400K.

Looks like the Twins have to pay Zumaya the full amount anyway:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/T...contract032812

Apparently he had to get cut before the injury (???) to only receive the $400k. So, if they had cut him after 12 pitches thrown in Spring Training, they could have saved that extra cash. Whoever put that stipulation in the contract deserves an award of some sort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12