Thread: Article: Vance Worley and developing pitches

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Vance Worley and developing pitches

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    RE: PitchF/X -- "It’s tough to go off of what other guys do because it everybody is different."

While this is certainly true, you'd think the Twins could aggregate data for similar pitchers and it would be useful. He's not the only righthander in the league with a 90mph fastball that works off his command. The sample size would be a lot better than just looking at what he has personally done.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Success depends greatly on not tipping pitches, and perhaps that is never more true than on the change. Good batters will detect a difference in your delivery, so of course you can't throw a change-up by easing up on the gas or anything major like that. Maybe a Ted Williams can spot the different placement in the hand on a circle-change, but against human batters that or something similar seems like the way to go.

I really enjoy reading these deeply introspective interviews with players. When I've asked old-timers on panels to "scout themselves as a player", 9 times out of 10 they'll say something on a par with "don't walk him, heh heh heh". And young players have an incentive not to say anything that might benefit an opponent, so I don't seem to run across a lot of interviews like this one. But it's great, and leads me to believe that current players are better students of the game than ever before, contrary to the narrative some grouchy fans would like to pass off.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    Great stuff.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 62 Posts
    Thanks Parker - it's interesting to get inside a pitcher's head.